Author Topic: XS Big Dot sites  (Read 565 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
XS Big Dot sites
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
Anyone using them?

I like the idea and have wanted to get a set for some time, but they just haven't seemed right for a 1911... I now have a Glock that they just may be perfect for...

For me the glock is going to be 100% defensive. My 1911 will be for more precise. I wanted the glock for its reliability and ability to run 40 and 9mm form the same gun. To my mind, these sites fit that scenario.

All comments, observations or opinions welcome!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: XS Big Dot sites
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »
CW,
I've used the XS sights and found them to be very fast for getting good hits out to 15yds or so. I prefer traditional notch and post sights for all my guns, but the XS sights should work well for your intended purpose. You may find your 23 shoots well enough to rate more precise sights-----!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:54:07 AM »
I had those in the tritium version on a Steyr S40 compact, a pistol I should have kept. It was no problem getting groups of 2 1/2" at 25 yards. They may seem huge and imprecise but they actually work better than one might think. I found them at least as accurate as the original, somewhat strange, factory sights and very much quicker and easier to align.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:09:11 AM »
CW,
I've used the XS sights and found them to be very fast for getting good hits out to 15 yd or so. I prefer traditional notch and post sights for all my guns, but the XS sights should work well for your intended purpose. You may find your 23 shoots well enough to rate more precise sights-----!
Savage

HE HE HE,  ::) I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't accurate.  ;) I know Glocks can shoot well out of the box and can be tuned to shoot very respectably!

This was about 40 rounds shooting fast but controlled. Combat stance at 10-12 Yards.

Here is one mags worth of a 155Gr XTP bullet with Blue Dot powder at the same 10-12 Yards. Shot two handed but deliberate aimed shots.:

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »

CW,
The problem I had with XS sights was related to personal preferences than anything else. In spite of all the years the military ingrained the  "6 O Clock" hold into my head, I still prefer my pistols to shoot to the top of the front sight post. I like a lot of light around the front post, which seems to serve me well with the quick shots, without sacrificing  precise shots at distance. 
While not a target pistol, I've yet to find a Glock that didn't shoot satisfactorily. Funny thing, offhand I tend to shoot the 19/23 better than the 17/22 size. From the bench, I shoot the 17/22 frame size better. For all around carry and defensive work I think the 23 is just about ideal. I like my mdl 36 for occasional carry, but it frequently looses out to my Officers 1911. The mdl 23 with 16rds of .40 is just about the ideal package for concealed holster carry. Enjoy yours, now you've got me thinking about another 23!!!
Savage 
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline flhtcuibyhd

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
I put them on my Colt Defender, and really like them.  They are a huge improvement over the stock sites.  Also, I have to admit that my eyes are not as good as they once were and working with the small three dot type sites has become a little problematic as of late.  The big dot over a straight line is the ticket for me.  I will probably be adding them to my other carry guns.

And my first post here !

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »
I put them on my Colt Defender, and really like them.  They are a huge improvement over the stock sites.  Also, I have to admit that my eyes are not as good as they once were and working with the small three dot type sites has become a little problematic as of late.  The big dot over a straight line is the ticket for me.  I will probably be adding them to my other carry guns.

And my first post here !

WELCOME!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member