Author Topic: 38-55 Target  (Read 454 times)

Offline Mike H

• Trade Count: (2)
38-55 Target
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
New to this section of GBO.  Just purchased my first NEF, a 38-55 target model made in 2003.  Its marked H&R.  I plan on mounting a scope, either a older Redfield or Nikon, both 2x7 variables.  I looked at the FAQ's and couldn't find the answer.  What mount base do I use?  Is it the same as the Handi or the same as the Buffalo Classic?  Will the standard H&R mount work?  I sure enjoy all the information on this forum.  Thanks, Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 38-55 Target
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
Welcome Mike! Yes, the Target has the same frame as the Handi, Ultra and BC, take the same stocks, forends and scope rails, lots of info in the FAQs sticky you need to read, there are some special links on the 38-55 that you need to read too, specially if the chamber hasn't been neck reamed, it will be too tight to chamber bullets big enough to shoot accurately.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mike H

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
Thanks Tim.  I read all about the 38-55 chamber, mine ejects new brass and loaded shells just fine.  I haven't fired it yet.  I also have a Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55, I really like shooting it.   There is a lot of information in the FAQ's, you have been a busy man.  Thanks again, Mike

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
What are you shooting in the Marlin? Ive worked my way around the neck reaming in mine and might be able to give a few suggestions.
They are a fun rifle, glad you found one  :D.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mike H

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
gcrank1
            Its been a while since I reloaded any 38-55, in the Marlin I was shooting Lasercast 240 grain lead with IMR 4198.  Most of my shooting was at 50 yards.  I am using Winchester brass, no problems in the Marlin, don't know about the H&R yet.  I am looking forward to shooting the H&R.  What kind of scope mount do most people use on the H&R?  Any suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
What kind of scope mount do most people use on the H&R?  Any suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Bases are covered very well in the FAQs  rings are covered some, depends on the scope you choose, hammer interference is the determining factor for height, variable power scopes with large power rings/ocular bells aren't H&R friendly and will require high or extra high rings, so those with small dimensions and fixed power scopes are more suitable. I have a Weaver K15 in medium Burris Signature Zee rings on a Leupold base on one of my 38-55 Targets, the other has a Leupold VXII 2-7x32 in low Burris Z rings on a Leupold base, barrel is cut to 18", it's in my avatar pic, kinda hard to see tho.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:52:33 AM »
I have one H&R rail with the many cross-slots and a couple of the Weaver 82s. I prefer the H&R but the Weavers work. My H&R is a tad taller so it helps the hammer clearance thing, and I try to keep the height to a minimum so I have good stock/cheek contact.
My scopes are mostly older (El Paso) Weavers and one Lyman All American 10X so I dont have that new oversize ocular bell dia to deal with.
What is the dia. of those Lasercast bullets?
The brass sized will have undersize necks so new and or resized will fit the chamber fine. Its when you squeeze in the right dia. bullet for the bore dimensions that it expands the necks and makes chambering/removing tight.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974