Author Topic: biscuits  (Read 607 times)

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
biscuits
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
i was at work and said'' i wish my girl friend could cook cathead biscuits and gravy''. am i the only one who knows what this dish is? everyone else looked at me like i was crazy and i live in the south.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: biscuits
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
You work with some strange folks if they don't know what biscuits and gray is.
Heck even yankees know what biscuits and gray is they just can't cook it. ;D
Maybe it was the cathead part that had them confused.  ;D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline steg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
know of biscuits, I can bake them, but what does the cathead part mean?

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:35:50 PM »
It means a big biscuit the size of a cat's head around here.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
Yep a big old biscuit

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »
sure with you would said something i had some but ate them all sorry :D ;D ;D

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Well, great, now I'm hungry for lard biscuits and sausage gravy......but I already had supper. :'(

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Yea, I like those big biscuits.  My grandma used a cutter made from a tin can to cut out her biscuits.  After the lasdt one was cut she would take the rest of the left over dough and just hand form it into a big buiscuit, and place it in the end of the pan.  I ended up with that one, loaded up with gravey.  My mother could not make big biscuits, she turned to oven up too high and the smaller one would get done and the big one would not.  So she refused to make them.  When I make scratch biscuits I always hand form them into big biscuits, and bake them slower than normal.

As for Gravey, I learned while in the AF to add precooked ground beef or sausage to the gravey as it cooked.  They made it that way in the dinning hall, and man did I like it that way.

Shaggy:  I just had lunch
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
Every Friday here they serve what they call the "Big Breakfast" :o in the morning.
For $2.50 you get two big homemade biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, a hash brown, and a couple sausage patties or pieces of bacon. :P
I've started having it and skipping lunch and most of supper. ::)
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
Gotta take the dogs for a walk, then mud pie for dessert. Close enough.....biscuits and gravy will have to wait for the weekend.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
Love cat head biscuits but momma Nita made some sourdough biscuits last week. Man! they was bigger than cat heads. She called them angel biscuits. I love sourdough biscuits. Oh, she served them with fried deer steak. mmm

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
That's good eating!  Biscuits from a can are just gross and most folks don't know what a homemade biscuit is like. My wife still makes them from scratch a couple times a week.  I like cracklins in them, but she won't do it because of my health.  I do love them though. 

Offline steg

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »
My Sister worked at a restaurant called Wimpies in Durham SC, she's the one who taught me when she came up with her family to visit one time. You guys are makin me hungry. WShen I was a kid we made the cracklins right in our sausage stuffer, it had a tube made up special to go on the spout that extended it over the stove to a pot settin on a  bench next to it, every once and a whilewhen someone would walk past you would give the crank a little turn and the lard would run out of the tubeinto the pot, when the handle wouldnt turn anymore it was done, and it was so darn good. it came out like one big brown wafer, and Mom would break it up  like peanut brittle. The the tube got broken one day when my Grandfather blew up the stove, after a session of "shine",  he made that on the stove with his still, he wasn't making it that day, what he did was put a can of beans in the oven unopened, it blew the door off the oven and took out the lard pot and the tube, I led an interesting life as a kid,  LOL....steg

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:54 PM »
Glad ya'll said so. I am just getting used to White Castle sliders - frozen versions. Why they havent expanded it is beyond me, regarding the fresh version. Never heard the biscuit description....... new one on me..... :)

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »
Nothin better than biskits and gravy. Chorizo burros come close,but can't quite close the deal.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
My sister-in -law makes the best biscuits and my wife makes the best sausage gravy.  I love it when we get together for breakfast.   :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
Darn you guys and the biskits n gravy, now I want some. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
I should'a been born a southern italian...... :'(  Seems I'm miss'n out.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
Sounds good to me!  Buttermilk catheads and gravy, and I won't be home to make any for another week and a half! :'(
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???