Author Topic: Dies for 30-30  (Read 690 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Dies for 30-30
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
My first time loading for the 30-30. I use Redding dies for about all rifle carts. Is there a better Die set for the 30-30 cart? I've heard about the Lee Collet die and have read of some people having trouble using them correctly. Also heard of factory crimp die. Anyone loading 30-30 with some good advise?
I don't see the collet die for 30-30 but a 3 die deluxe set that may not crimp.

Also going to start loading the 308. Don't know if any dies are better than others. My be just a personal thing and what folks are used to. Thanks

Offline telebasher

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dies for 30-30
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
You  did'nt say what type action your rifle is but from my past experience with a model 94 winchester I use a RCBS full length sizer and seater die set and crimp with the Lee factory crimp die.  If your rifle is a bolt action or a break open single shot then I would try the Lee collet die but you will at some point have to use the full length sizer to bump back the shoulder to insure easy and complte chambering.  The 30-30 is a fun and useful cartridge to load and shoot .  Enjoy

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
Generally if it is the "deluxe" lee set, it includes the seater die, Full length resizer, and the collet "neck" sizing die.  They do have a pace setter 3 die set that comes with the factory crimp die, full length sizer, and seater die.  The seater should do a taper crimp on the 30/30.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
It's for a single shot Handi. Reloading once fired brass from a Marlin Lever. Single stage loading on a Dillon 550.

Is the taper crimp different than the factory crimp die?

If I went with Lee I'd probably get the Deluxe set. They sell a seperate factory crimp die, different than taper??   Thanks

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
I use the Lee factory crimp die on my 7.62X39s, works great! It is different in that it puts
a noticable crimp on the neck of the case. In my case, it seemed to make my loads shoot
more consistantly.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
+1 for Telebasher - I use the same system.  My rifle is a 94 win.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline telebasher

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:13:41 AM »
Lee makes the factory crimp die for just about ant standard cartridge, but they sell them individually only. I dont think they include them in any die sets that I'm aware of.  The factory crimp die creates a crimp exactly like the factory made ammo, and it isn't necessary to crimp in a cannelure so you can alter OAL.  It is the single most thing you can do for accuracy in the 30-30.  Load some with and without the crimp and you will see what I mean.

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:48:56 AM »
The factory crimp die comes with the Pacesetter 3 die set

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »
I just want to be sure I read this correctly....

You have and use Redding dies. You want something better and are looking at LEE as a replacement??????? WOW, I do not think you will be happy with this choice.

Redding are very good dies and always my first choice altho I admit to owning more RCBS sets. Lee are junk in comparison. I understand accepting less if said choice works and costs less. This is the case for most people when choosing a LEE product. But you have and use one of the best die set makers out there. It's kinda like trading a Porche because it's not quick enough and buying a Pinto.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »
My first time loading for the 30-30. I use Redding dies for about all rifle carts. Is there a better Die set for the 30-30 cart? I've heard about the Lee Collet die and have read of some people having trouble using them correctly. Also heard of factory crimp die. Anyone loading 30-30 with some good advise?
I don't see the collet die for 30-30 but a 3 die deluxe set that may not crimp.

Also going to start loading the 308. Don't know if any dies are better than others. My be just a personal thing and what folks are used to. Thanks

Suggest you get the Redding or Bonanza neck size die set for both and then get a seperate RCBS X-die for both to FL size when you want to.  You will not have to trim after FL sizing with the X-dies and case life will be very good to excellent.  Suggest the regular X-dies not the small base ones. 

Larry Gibson

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
I must of messed this up. I'm getting ready to buy a set of dies to load the
30-30. I have Redding full length and neck dies for 221FB, 223, 22-250, & 243. I have Reddings for the 22 Hornet but not a neck that I recall. I've had one set of Lee dies I wasn't all that excited about and no longer use. Christmas present from someone who didn't listen. I don't put dies on my list anymore. I use Dillon dies for 380, 357, 10mm, 44mag, and 45 auto. I haven't loaded much pistol in a few years. I believe they have a taper crimp?? I don't usually crimp my rifle carts. YET! I will full length size the 30-30s as I shot a couple hundred in a 30-30 Marlin several years ago.
I was going to get Reddings for the 30-30 and the 308. Full and neck for the 308. Wasn't sure there was a neck die for 30-30. Did read some posts about the collet die and the factory crimp die so thought I'd ask for some others experience first. The 30-30 is a little different than the others except similar shaped to the Hornet. Sounds like you need some type of crimp on the 30-30 to be accurate.
I guess I'll just order all the Reddings I can find and hope that's best. They didn't list a 30-30 neck die in the one cat. I looked in but I just looked in another and it lists one. Sounds like the main thing is the crimp. Probably won't be benchresting this 30-30 Handi anyway. Thanks! 

Offline 2ndtimer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
I had the deluxe Redding die set for the 30-30, which included a neck sizing die, full length sizing die, and seating die.  I used them years ago when I used a 14"  TC Contender to compete in IHMSA matches.  They are excellent dies, as good as any I have used and better than the Lee or Hornady dies, IMO.  I use RCBS for most of my stuff, as well as Dillon for the handguns for the RL-550B.  I am sure you will be pleased if you get the Reddings.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:58 PM »
I have used and own some of all of the name brand dies.  All of them have their quirks and bonuses.  However I like Redding and RCBS dies the best, but will use Lee dies if the others are unreasonably high priced for a particular caliber.

The only Lee dies that I own that I absolutely do not like are my set for the 7mm TCU.  I just can't get along with them, but I have several other calibers that are just fine....go figure!  I won't even try to sell them because I don't want anyone to cuss me about them!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
I must of messed this up. I'm getting ready to buy a set of dies to load the
30-30. I have Redding full length and neck dies for 221FB, 223, 22-250, & 243. I have Reddings for the 22 Hornet but not a neck that I recall. I've had one set of Lee dies I wasn't all that excited about and no longer use. Christmas present from someone who didn't listen. I don't put dies on my list anymore. I use Dillon dies for 380, 357, 10mm, 44mag, and 45 auto. I haven't loaded much pistol in a few years. I believe they have a taper crimp?? I don't usually crimp my rifle carts. YET! I will full length size the 30-30s as I shot a couple hundred in a 30-30 Marlin several years ago.
I was going to get Reddings for the 30-30 and the 308. Full and neck for the 308. Wasn't sure there was a neck die for 30-30. Did read some posts about the collet die and the factory crimp die so thought I'd ask for some others experience first. The 30-30 is a little different than the others except similar shaped to the Hornet. Sounds like you need some type of crimp on the 30-30 to be accurate.
I guess I'll just order all the Reddings I can find and hope that's best. They didn't list a 30-30 neck die in the one cat. I looked in but I just looked in another and it lists one. Sounds like the main thing is the crimp. Probably won't be bench resting this 30-30 Handi anyway. Thanks!

Morning BV!

I think you have made a better decision. I know many people buy and use the LEE dies with success. I have many die sets and over the last thirty years the single set that failed me was the single LEE set I bought. But my opinions are not based on this alone. I have worked in the firearms industry for more then 20 years. LEE is the #! reloading product that comes back in broken or has that customer dissatisfied and buying a set form a better manufacturer. So they spent hard earned $$ on EE then spent it again on quality products. NOT very cost effective for a "hobby" many feel will be something to save some $$ and allow more shooting. I do have strong opinions against LEE and they are well founded.

I have a single neck die from Redding in 30-30 and its a neck sizer die.

NO, crimping is NOT required to make a accurate 30-30 round!!!  Its required because most 30-30s are fired in a tubular mag and loaded nose to rim, pushing the round in front against a spring. So crimping keeps the bullet in place under these conditions. If your loading in a Handi try it with and without a crimp. Speaking of crimping, the 30-30 uses a roll crimp, but you can experiment with a taper if you would like to. Taper crimps are generally only used for semi auto cartridges that head space off the rim. So crimping them would negate the head space. OR at the very least, severely adjust it negatively. I am also no fan of the "Factory crimp" IMHO its a cure to a non existant problem.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline shot1

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »
I was one of those that had my doubts about the claims LEE gives for the Factory Crimp Die until I actually put them to the test. What I found is that in most rifles that have normal shorter throats I saw no improvement in accuracy. Where I did REALLY see improvement was in the old military rifles that I shoot a lot. Most of these rifles have long throats. And even loading to magazine length the bullets still have to jump a long ways. The use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die GREATLY increased the accuracy when used. The only exception I found was with the Swede 6.5X55's which have really loooooooog throats. For some reason I get better accuracy with NO CRIMP and it does not matter the load or the bullet weight used. I believe what Lee states about the crimp allowing the bullet to be held that split second in the case until the pressure builds up makes for accuracy. If you really think about it the rifles with normal shorter throats do almost the same thing. The bullet hits the lands much of the time before the whole bullet gets out of the case and that retards it's forward movement for a split second the pressure has time to build and then the bullet moves. All I know for sure is that in my test on some calibers in some weapons the Lee Factory Crimp Die does increase accuracy.

By the way I have been hand loading for over 30 years and have used about every bodies dies and they all have their good and bad points. I have a bunch of Lee dies as well as most all the others and they all load accurate ammo for me and I am pretty much an accuracy nut. Lee does just as good as any other for 99% of the weapons that most shoot. The only exception is for those special ( bench rest type) precision rifles with everything PRECISION. Then PRECISION dies are needed to get the last fraction of accuracy out of them. But everything else in the process had better be PRECISION also.