Author Topic: Planned Internet network threatens GPS?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Planned Internet network threatens GPS?
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:36 AM »
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110406/US.TEC.GPS.Threats/

I really hate to comment on this as the old political practices of who has the most power, who stands to make the most money, and who has the most money to spend all come to mind.

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Planned Internet network threatens GPS?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:22 AM »
 :o I will respond I just need to get off the ceiling. >:(
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:00:44 AM »
I just received notice from my state Society of Land Surveyors.   The National Society of Professional Surveyors Governor has drafted a letter to Senator Jim Webb about this issue.
Average GPS users could see some degradation of signal and every cell phone using the proposed network could potentially act as a GPS jammer in close proximity to ANY GPS receiver.  Due to the proximity of frequency to the L1 transmission from the satellites, most, if not all mapping and survey-grade receivers could be succeptable to lock interruption (i.e. lose position).
Surveyors aren't the only ones affected by this.  Anyone using the GPS signal for mapping, agriculture, LE dispatch, fleet monitoring or other medium precision application could be affected.
I'm not sure that this LightSquared network is the best way to get everyone on the internet from mobile devices.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
My technical experience with GPS equipment reception issues was in the Army.  The mil spec GPS receivers and, I suspect, aviation ones will be pretty unlikely to have issues with this.  They are all designed to operate in electronically dense environment.  Certainly I don't think the issue would have progressed this far if the Air Force's Space Command who owns and operate the GPS constellation and who is the project manager for all GI GPS products had any concerns.

The following is the last paragraph of the article:

The real dilemma, Hays said, is this: "This is a situation where the neighbor built the fence too far over the property line and may not have realized it at the time. Now the other neighbor wants to build a pool and there is not enough space. So the question is: who has to pay to move the fence?"

I don't believe that is an accurate statement.  I think the correct statement would be "This is a situation where one neighbor has built a fence on abandoned land in accordance with a valid building permit.  Now the other neighbor, who owns a has recently purchased a recently rezoned and subdivided  lot wants to build a pool and has received a valid building permit to do so even though there is not enough space to build it."

Lance

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »
If the fence was built across the line "open and notoriously" and the adjacent land owner did nothing about it, after 7 years (depending on the state) the enclosed property becomes the possession of the person who built the fence, by right of adverse possession.  If it were built across the line accidentally and the new land owner finds out that it wasn't done "notoriously" the person who built the fence would be liable for moving it.  It depends on what the judge says, which may depend on what he had for breakfast.  It probably wouldn't happen in this day and age, since the lending institutions all want a survey done which shows all of the encroachments.  When the fence shows up being over the line the banks would be very leery of lending money until the issue was resolved!

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:48:38 AM »
 "since the lending institutions all want a survey done which shows all of the encroachments."

But the survey crew will be using GPS technology which is possibly not accurate due to the cell phone disruption.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.