Author Topic: Enought To Make a Grown Man Cry  (Read 1391 times)

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Enought To Make a Grown Man Cry
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:13 AM »
A friend turned me onto a guy selling reloading stuff for a 96 year old in a rest home.

I get over to the place and he has 4 presses and mounds of casting and swaging stuff over 400 lbs of ingots and another 100lbs of pure lead along with 100 lbs of shot and 4 ammo cans of lino type I buy everything he has gun and reloading related, he also tells me he tossed in the trash cans of bullets I start digging I find 7 full large coffee cans of cast bullets but the worst part is I find molds but only one is whole and 5 one side only no handles I ask him he said they must have went out in last weeks trash, we talk some more any guns ya I took 10 rifles and shotguns 5 pistols along 106 box's of shotguns shells and another 100 or so of R&P ammo to the PD and left them :( I keep digging in the trash now the guy in the rest home was a Machinest and worked for Northrop I find calipers mikes and thousands of taps I took all the tools and several hundred taps I even picks out 2 Kbar knives WWII issue and in the box of Misc stuff he sold me was 3 1911 barrels several slides and misc parts, I bought some die sets so I now the guy had a 30 carbine 30-06 45acp 38-357 9mm I can just see the cops getting a pristine carbine a M1 along with a couple 1911 maybe a SINGER.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Enought To Make a Grown Man Cry
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
The same thing may happen to all of my shooting gear one day.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
RR say it ain't so  :(
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »
None of my heirs are interested in my reloading stuff either.They might take a gun or two, but I doubt they have too much of an idea of what my stuff is worth. I've been thinking about it and I think the best way to get the most for my stuff is an auction. Around here it seems like guns and gun related stuff sells for almost new prices at auction.  I'll have to make sure the kids know that.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Such a shame....one man's junk is another's treasure.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
enough to make a grown man throw up!!!
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
Wish I'd of been the garbage man with that route ;D

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »
had to read this thru 3 times. oh the pain. what a waste
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:54:22 AM »
I have been sick since I went over there man I can't figure people out here in Kalif i'm sure the cops just cut the guns in half the area was Santa Monica a baston of ultra left wing liberals.

The guy sent me a email and said he found more cans of bullets come and get them before monday that's when they PU the trash I just had eye surgery 10 days ago and can't lift much or bend over so i'm taking my 15 year old nephew this time i'm dumping the trash cans over there must be 10-12 of them big jobs provided by the trash co.

i'll post up what I got hopping to find the other 1/2 of the molds and the handle from the swag-o-matic press.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
How about a little compassion for the 96 yr old man that doesn't give a crap anymore.
Sounds to me like your after nothing but your own gain,

If I was the old man, I'd scater the reamining gear as wide as possible to keep the scavangers at bay,,

I wouldn't have a problem offering the stuff to someone truely worthy, even a total stranger If I felt comfortable with'm, but at that age and experiance I'd be darn well apprehensive of fattening some wide eyed kids pocket,,
,,and at 96 a "kid" is 60 or younger.
found elsewhere

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
necchi>Well the 96 year old is in a rest home, the guys cleaning up the place is his financial advisor,  I don't have a clue what crawled up your rear I bought all the stuff that was not in the trash already and gave him a fair price why let the trash co. just dump it.

Well I went back with my nephew and his friend turned over all the cans I was able to find one 4c mold and a missing 1/2 mold,  some 22 scopes a set of small ball peen hammers a bunch of plastic ammo box's and a box with 1911 parts enought to make at least 2+ guns a bunch of pistol grips, a 03 bayonet and a bunch of odds and ends that my son can throw out when i'm gone.

The guy had found more cast bullets 5 one lb coffee cans full of assorted what looks like 38 and 45 THAT I BOUGHT.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 03:50:30 AM »
It's unreal what some folks will throw in the trash just because they have no use for it!  At least you were able to purchase and save some of the stuff before that nimrod trashed all of it!  Probably what would've happened if you hadn't gotten there is some trash man would have fished a good bit of it out of the dump and it would have ended up on Ebay.  The old man wouldn't have gotten a penny for any of it!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 04:55:50 AM »
Huntducks, I still think you did good. I think it's a shame to let good things go in the trash. I think his financial advisor wasn't looking out for his client or is just lazy. He should have auctioned the stuff off if he was looking out for the old shooting brother. As was said at 96 he may not even know what's going on. Not just because of his age. I'm pretty sure he would rather have someone who can make good use of a lifetime of his pleasure rather than throwing it away to keep someone else from enjoying it. Enjoy what you were able to get and I bet the old guy would be happy for YOU rather than the trash man. ;D

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 05:06:57 AM »
Son-in-Law is in line for my gear, and he reminds me everyonce and while.  I do not feel bad about it, I got a few items when my FIL passed away. :)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 05:36:45 AM »
     Friend of mine ran into an estate auction of an elderly man that casted bulles for a hobby (he was in a wheel chair) When he passed on, the kids auctioned the estate. He had all the bullets casted sized and boxed with markings on everything. My friend ran out of cash before he left that day only had about 300 dollars with him. I know he is stocked with bullets for years, said he bought about 75,000 bullets for 357,44,45 and 30 cal rifle bullets.  I was on vacation at the time as Murphy seems to stay in my back pocket. When I got back he just had to come over and gush about what I missed and to give me some samples. He drives an explorer said it took 2 wheel barrel loads to get it all in his vehicle.

woods

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
I can't imagine what I missed out on the guy cleaning out said the garage was packed full just a small walk way in and the owner just liked to cast bullets when he had nothing to do guess he casted up until 2-3 years ago, beside all the raw ingots I got there was 7> 3lb coffee cans of bullets full I dumped one out and counted the 38 cal 158gr RN there was 1800 bullets in one can the 1lb cans had over 500 in ea none are lubed.

The more I looked after I got home he must have had 10-12 different style bullets I just wish I could have got all the molds because his bullets look great he must have had quilty molds (i'm sick again) I took all the taps out of trash i'm not kidding there must be 500 or more i'm going to pick out some for myself and take the rest to a guy I know that owns a machine shop along with a bunch of deburring tools, if he can use them fine if not maybe he can pass them on to someone just starting out.

The way I understand I think there was a big rush to get this place rented out for income and his rest home stay it's only about a block from the beach and should bring big bucks where it's at.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
Too bad you didn't get the beach house ;D

Offline wncchester

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
"Such a shame....one man's junk is another's treasure."

What's really sad is that one man's treasures often become another's junk.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »
The same thing may happen to all of my shooting gear one day.

I cant believe how stupid people are. Why on earth would anyone with even half a brain "take it to the police station". I get it,its guns,they are scared of them and don't want to keep them,but they could take them to a gun store,just about ANY gun store,or a pawn shop and walk out with a fistfull of cash. I would much rather have my guns sold for pennies on the dollar than melted down. In fact,I'm going to tell my brother that if something happens to me,he is to make sure my mother does NOT deal with disposing of the guns. (because she WOULD dump them all at the police station). He does not own any guns,but Im going to tell him that he of course is welcome to anything he wants,but make sure he knows to take anything he doesn't to a gun store and get some cash and make sure they end up being used by someone.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »
 I understand it completely. You guy's are missing the part about the Gent being 96yrs old. He don't give a crap anymore, even about the money. I've never seen "Luggage Racks" on a hearse.
 With the society melting down in violence, hunting grounds being bought out on leases and gunranges being shutdown by complaining neibhors, I can see where the man want's to be sure his guns won't be used illegally.
 Now if there was someone that was truley interested and had spent some time with him just visiting for the past few years then perhaps he would have passed them down, but I'm guessing that's not the case.
 As his time nears, he's getting rid of stuff. And who better to give the stuff too than LEO? Many of whom are sportsmen and shooters, nothing was said that they were ment too be logged and destroyed. It could very likley be that his guns will be in service for years to come.

Sorry for a rant, but this whole thread just smacks of vultures to me and has led me too thoughts of my own property and future demise. Maybe many haven't known the reality of it yet but here's a hint;
"ain't nun of us gettin outta here alive,,"
found elsewhere

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
i don't think the police can just take a firearm for their own use just because someone turned it in

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »
I'm sure that's what they did anyway.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 06:23:23 AM »
"i don't think the police can just take a firearm for their own use just because someone turned it in"

Why not, a lot of guns go 'missing' even from locked Evidence Rooms.   Along with money and drugs. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:45 AM »
I understand it completely. You guy's are missing the part about the Gent being 96yrs old. He don't give a crap anymore, even about the money. I've never seen "Luggage Racks" on a hearse.
 With the society melting down in violence, hunting grounds being bought out on leases and gunranges being shutdown by complaining neibhors, I can see where the man want's to be sure his guns won't be used illegally.
 Now if there was someone that was truley interested and had spent some time with him just visiting for the past few years then perhaps he would have passed them down, but I'm guessing that's not the case.
 As his time nears, he's getting rid of stuff. And who better to give the stuff too than LEO? Many of whom are sportsmen and shooters, nothing was said that they were ment too be logged and destroyed. It could very likley be that his guns will be in service for years to come.

Sorry for a rant, but this whole thread just smacks of vultures to me and has led me too thoughts of my own property and future demise. Maybe many haven't known the reality of it yet but here's a hint;
"ain't nun of us gettin outta here alive,,"

No you missed it reread my posts the old gent is in a nursing home (2yrs) ago the guy cleaning up was his finincial advisor HE TOOK THEM TO THE POLICE (guns) along with a 106 box's of factory shotshell and reloaded and factory R&P ammo the police did not want the ammo and told him to sell it to a PP or gun shop he told me he was adimate they keep it so they did i'm sure there was some nice collector box's in the bunch.

The way I look at it I paid him $200 for all the casting metal about 400+lbs he threw in the rest presses dies odd's ends told me if I did not it was going in the recycle cans to the trash co. in two trips there I spent hours going thru the large trash co can's I had to take my nephew and buddy to dinner that cost me another $75 but digging out anther bunch of cast bullets and saving the other mold and the other 1/2 of one I already got was worth it any time you can save a H&G mold from the 40's-50's is worth it.