Author Topic: Glock "MUST HAVES"  (Read 10111 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Glock "MUST HAVES"
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
 ::) OK, just like the titles askes...
  What are the manditory upgrades??

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Glock "MUST HAVES"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Sights! Thats about it for carry.  Get rid of those plastic sights and replace them with a good set of steel ones of your liking.  For duty or concealed carry I like the Meprolite night sights. I believe you said you were considering the "XS" big dot sights. They should be satisfactory as well. For primary use as a range gun I like the 3.5 connector, 6# trigger return spring, Ultimate overtravel trigger stop, reduced power striker spring, Tru glo fiber optic sights, and a stainless steel guide rod with various weight springs to tune the gun for my pet loads. All available from Lone Wolf Distributors. This setup is IDPA/USPSA legal for SSP/ESP/Production classes. Of course you'll need to verify reliability with your chosen ammo. Mine have been reliable with factory CCI, Rem, FC, And Winchester. In reloads I use Winchester or Wolf primers primarily, but have used a few k of the CCI, all reliable. I do have a plastic magwell I install to shoot the .40 in ESP. Doesn't help a lot, but it's a little faster. Any or all of these things can be done without breaking the bank. IMO they make the Glocks easier to shoot well, and--------------shucks, more fun!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
Yup,
 I bought and installed a set of XS Tritium Big Dot sites. I haven't shot it yet, but I like the look.

I've been reading and watching videos about the 3.5# dis-connector, Xpower FP spring and 6# trigger spring. I also saw the SS guide rod, buffer metal slide cover and grip plug.

OH, I also added some grip tape as I find the grip a little slippery. WOW its solid now!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
Lots and lots of ammo. Practice, practice, practice. Oh! did I mention you need to practice.  ;D

Offline Glock Doctor

• Glock Magic!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:09 AM »
   ::)  OK, just like the title asks .... .  What are the mandatory upgrades??  CW

Lone Wolf Distributors:  4.5# connector, extended slide lock, extended slide stop, and aluminum slide cover. 

Wolff Gunsprings:  All Wolff springs, Non-captured, NP3 coated, steel guide rod.  Meprolight, Trijicon, or Ameriglo, 'night sights'.  Glock factory +2 magazine floor plates IF you can use them; if not, Arredondo base plates. 
‘Life Is Karma.  It Reflects Both Past And Present Circumstance.  Our Time Here Is Short; So Choose Carefully And Behave Well; For, All Of Your Tomorrows Are Presently Being Decided.’

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
The only "MUST HAVES" if the gun is to be a duty or ccw gun are: Trijicon night sights, and "grip decals" (don't know the company that makes them, but they're available from Dillion Precision) which improve your grip in wet weather or while used with blood/noxious fluids on your hands.

If you plan on using reloads, buy a barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors to use for practice. Make sure you switch back to the factory barrel, when used as a carry gun, or shooting regular factory ammo.

I definitely would not purchase or use the "butt plug"  ::) accessory.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:54:06 PM »
A good stiff holster that fully covers the trigger guard.  The Glock is as simple and safe as possible - Pull the trigger, it goes bang.  Don't pull the trigger, it don't.   Lacking the slide, frame, and grip safeties of other autos, or the long, heavy pull of D/A revolvers, it is more sensitive to unintended contact with the trigger, usually during re holstering, or unprotected pocket carry.  Given enough time and circumstances, its amazing what items (key chains, pocket knives, seat belt releases, etc...) can get into a trigger guard..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline ironfoot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »
Hienie sights, and like Larry said, if you're going to carry it, even for fun, a good holster that covers the trigger guard.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Good metal night sights.....and another Glock fitted the same way. :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 02:01:04 AM »
Good metal night sights.....and another Glock fitted the same way. :D
NOW YOUR TALKING!!!!!

I ordered a few things last week, should have them in couple days. With luck I'll get to shoot it again this weekend!!

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »

NONE. All 6 are box stock, and run like scalded dogs. As the tail of the jet says, PERFECTION, right out of the box. Few get it right the first time. Glock did!    Bill T.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:03:01 AM »
NONE. All 6 are box stock, and run like scalded dogs. As the tail of the jet says, PERFECTION, right out of the box. Few get it right the first time. Glock did!    Bill T.

I'm a Glock fan, but don't buy into the perfection hype. Nothing ever built, or ever will be built, is perfect. Even Glock recognizes that and make changes to the product regularly. Yeah, they usually run right out of the box, but can be made to run a LOT better. I agree that for 90% of Glock users, the only thing that really needs to be changed are the sights. Why they ship with those cheesy plastic sights is a mystery to me---------------!
Savage 

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
Even Glock recognizes that and make changes to the product regularly. Yeah, they usually run right out of the box, but can be made to run a LOT better.

Look at a Glock Generation 1 pistol. Break it down and compare it to a Generation 4. Very little mechanical changes have taken place in 4 generations in over 25 years of manufacturing literally millions of guns. Most all changes have been cosmetic. Rougher textured frame, finger grooves, accessory rails, etc. Yes, they went with a 2 piece guide rod on the newer Gen 4 guns. I don't know why, as the rod they've been using for over 25 years works as good as the day the pistol first hit the market. As for the sights all Glocks are avaliable with night sights straight from the factory. Trijicon, Meprolight, as well as Glocks own brand are all avaliable. Something most every self defense weapon should have.

Talk to most any Glock armorer. They will all tell you the same thing. Most of the Glocks people bring in with problems, have had aftermarket items installed. A lot of them won't admit to this well known fact because they make money on the sale and installation of these items. But look at all of the Glocks used in law enforcement and most all of them are box stock. Thousands of cops trust their lives to them every day in that condition. In fact many departments issue orders that duty weapons are not to be tampered with, or altered in any way. There is a good reason for that. Glock got it right at the factory, and their guns don't require shade tree mechanics to work on them to make any, "improvements".  Bill T.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
Bill, there has been numerous changes made to Glock pistols over the years to correct known problems. The geometry of many of the internals, extractor, barrel, trigger bar redesigns, as well as many others. Glock doesn't do recalls, they just  upgrade to fix problems with their "Perfect" pistols when they get enough complaints. The changes to Glock pistols have been much more than cosmetic. I carry and shoot Glocks. When I had a choice of duty weapons I chose Glocks. I appreciate them for what they are, and "Perfect" they're not! NOTHING is perfect, not even my 1911s!
Savage

Offline ironfoot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
I admire Bill T's loyalty, but Savage is right.
When the .40s&w was introduced, Glock was in such a rush to get one out the door that they just crammed it into a Glock 17 and said good enough. Very quickly it was clear that it wasn't good enough. Frames cracked right at the locking block and had to be redesigned with the new 3 pin frames. When the .357sig came out, same thing, frame rails were breaking and had to be redesigned.
.40 cal chambers have gone though changes to reduce the number of pressure excursions (kabooms), and they still have feeding issues anytime the .40 caliber Glock is shot without a locked, straight wrist behind the pistol, which is not always possible, especially in a defensive/law enforcement scenario.

Lets face it, the sights suck for anything other than close range daytime shooting, and those have been redisigned by Glock as well. Too many front sight were being bumped off the pistols. Now they use a metal front that screws on.

The list goes on....

Now the first generation Glock 9mm is a terrific design, and they are safe and reliable. Glock also did great work with the 10mm, but it's hardly perfect from the start.
I love my 3rd gen Glock 19, well proven, accurate, reliable, lightweight, rustproof, and now that I have good sights on it, perfect!
Just don't try to tell me they have been perfect from the get go.

Offline LarryNC

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Hello Everyone, this is my first post here. I've been a Glock owner for about two decades now. I've only owned 9mm and .45ACP Glocks. I have narrowed that down to only the nine millimeter models. I have a 2nd generation 17 longslide, a 3rd generation 17 and a 3rd generation 19. I would certainly agree with the idea about upgrading the sights to a good set of steel sights. My 17 and 19 have Trijicon night sights. I did install a factory Glock 3.5 lb. connector on my model 17 and I did the Glock .25 cent trigger job. I have had nothing but luck out of my Glocks. I have never had one that ever failed to function. I do not believe in putting aftermarket anything in my Glocks. Someone on here said that Glock armorers say that aftermarket parts are the biggest problems for Glock pistols. I believe that to be true. I do not believe that anything man made is perfect. There have been numerous reports on Glocktalk about failures and problems with the Gen4 pistols. I personally would not buy a Gen4 Glock in any caliber. I remember reading somewhere, a long time ago that guns are generally more trouble free in the caliber for which the were/are originally designed. I believe that is probably true, too. I don't know about now, but at one time, the 9mm was the only Glock caliber with a fully-supported chamber. I really don't know if that is true or not. There have been a lot of KB's in the .40's, but this is true of not just glocks, but also other makes and brands of guns. Including the HK-USP and those things are built like tanks. I have been a huge fan of Rob Leatham since I started shooting. I read in a gun magazine in the last few years where he has been hired to teach our Special Forces guys how to shoot really fast and accurately. He said that he has learned a lot from them as well. These guys can carry anything they want. Any gun, any caliber, and any ammo. They aren't limited to ball ammo the way that the regular troops are. They told Rob that they prefer the 9mm, especially the Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ hollow-points. I figure if they are good enough for our Special Forces and for Rob Leatham that they are probably good enough for me too. Winchester does not allow that ammo to be sold across the counter at Wal-Mart. They are supposedly for police only, but you can find them at gun shows and it is not illegal to have and use them. My Glocks love them, and they also love the Federal 9BPLE 115 grain +P+ hollow-points. The LE stands for law enforcement, but you can buy them. Life is too short to argue endlessly over Sigs vs Glocks vs Beretta. Just pick something that you really like and can shoot well, stock up on the best ammo and practice a lot.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 02:37:54 AM »
The only thing I ever felt I needed to fix was their trigger. In my opinion glock triggers can't be fixed. At least not to my satisfaction.  :o

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »
::) OK, just like the titles askes...

CW

If you buy one with night sights and standard trigger , NONE !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 04:32:02 AM »
The only thing I ever felt I needed to fix was their trigger. In my opinion glock triggers can't be fixed. At least not to my satisfaction.  :o

Regards,
Agreed! Their triggers do need a bit of work, just how much depends on your application. For a duty, service weapon the stock pull is passable, for formal bullseye, most would choose a different platform anyway, so moot point. A Glock trigger can be made into a short,(Well--relatively short)  crisp, 2# trigger with the right parts and attention. (Although a bit spendy.) If you require a better trigger than that, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »
If you require a better trigger get a better gun!

Offline 1894cfan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
If you don't like the stock grooved trigger, a smooth one is available from Glock. HTH

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
I appreciate them for what they are, and "Perfect" they're not! NOTHING is perfect, not even my 1911s!
Savage

Too many people get caught up in this whole "Glock Perfection" thing, and take it way too seriously. I mean come on, it's a sales slogan for God's sake. Does anyone think Budweiser is really, "The King Of Beers"? Or a Chevy is, "Like A Rock"? If I really need to, "Bring Enough Gun" I'm taking my .50 BMG, not my Springfield Armory SOCOM 16.   Bill T.

Offline Savage

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:48 AM »
Too many people get caught up in this whole "Glock Perfection" thing

Not me!

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Budweiser isn't the King of beers?
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »
Too many people get caught up in this whole "Glock Perfection" thing

Not me!

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Budweiser isn't the King of beers?
Savage
Not since the french took them over .....

Offline Savage

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
Not since the french took them over .....

Got it! Now it's the Queen of Beers----------

Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
Its not that Glock hand guns are something great it they are an inexpensive way to arm yourself with a reliable pistol. Much in the same way the Colt SAA was in its day. In both cases examples that are better but cost more exist . For Colt the S&W soc. was better/more expensive. For Glock its Sigs and several others . Out the box they work .

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
For Glock its Sigs and several others.

I own a couple of expensive Sigs, along with 6 Glocks. For the money Sig can't wash Glock's dirty shorts. Both are self defense pistols. Besides, if Sigs were that great, they would have won the Swiss defense contract. They did what they always do, they lost. They could almost give H&K a run for their money on overpriced guns and magazines. I bought a H&K USP 9 MM. They want $150.00 for a 31 round magazine! The same for a Glock is $34.00.   Bill T.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=190845

Glock = Practical, affordable, durable, supportable, distinguishable.  You simply cannot beat it.   Bill T.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
Bill defense contracts are about cost. Do you really think a gun with plastic sights is better ? Better cost wise when buying thousands maybe . Do you feel plastic mags are better ? I have seen 2 glock mags split at the seams. Glocks advantage is cost . Its a marval that you get the reliablity at such a low cost but I have owned a Glock that had to be factory rebuilt because it would not function (feed) . They have problems also. Incase its not widely known at Glock shoots and several others Glock has someone on sight to replace worn parts . I have had them replace parts on almost new guns WHY ? if they are so great .