Author Topic: Glock "MUST HAVES"  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Bill T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Glock "MUST HAVES"
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
Bill defense contracts are about cost. Do you really think a gun with plastic sights is better ? Better cost wise when buying thousands maybe . Do you feel plastic mags are better ?

Come on. Do you really think you are going anywhere with this type of silly argument? Glock pistols are used by over 64% of law enforcement and military world wide. Do you really think it is because they "fail" because they are "plastic"? Get real and stop living in never, never land. Glocks are what they are. The best selling self defense pistol worldwide, period. Who is better? Sig, S&W, Colt, H&K with their overpriced crap? Glocks are what they are. The best semi auto, and full auto, defensive pistols on the planet. No.......I didn't "Drink The Kool-Aid", and I'm not a "Fan boy". Glocks are what they are. And the fact you cannot recognise it changes nothing.   Bill T.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
And you don't think cost is the major concern ? At Glock cost to military and police (about 1/2 commerical cost give or take a few bucks) they don't worry about long term use they trade in every few years . Why ? well incase you were not up on it if a Glock dealer sells to police they can't sell to the general public except used guns. And if they sell to the public they can't sell to police at the lower price.So a Glock police sales store can trade every few years with a department at police prices and sell the trade ins at a good profit . In some cases the used guns sell for more than the police paid for them new. And that is how Glock is cornering the market silly or not world wide . And yes the mags fail because they are plastic I have never heard of metal mags splitting at the seams . They were older mags not out the box new ones . It may suprise you but first gen. Glocks are experinceing fram failures now and Glock replaces them free. I also believe this is due to being plastic and age affected . Yes metal frames fail also but Glocks have racked up impressive number of shots with out failure but age and exposure are taking a toll not use .
If Glocks cost the same as other top of the line guns do you really believe they would be as hot an item as they are ?
I can buy a couple 10 mm Glocks for what one Colt Delta Gold Cup cost used I like the DE better and it has never failed but the Glock is more cost effective as a back up hunting gun in bad weather.
Glock is what it is .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
So Glock makes a good profit. So Glock sells their guns cheap to law enforcement. So Glock replaces their guns very inexpensively. Glock doesn't repair their guns, they simply give the customer brand new ones. They produce everything cheaper than what they sell it for........Please tell me how this is bad???? Perhaps if companies took a lesson from Glock we wouldn't be in the stinking mess we are in economically, would we??? Good God, how people need to smarten up!!!   Bill T.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
I think cost is a major concern with many departments.  But I also think that the pistol wouldn't be so popular if it was a bad design.  A department can send a few officers to take an 8 hour Armorer's course to do basic maintenance.  I took the class through GSSF and everyone else in it was law enforcement. 

I would think that most departments opt for steel night sights.  I replace my sights with Ameriglo night sights if it's going to be a defensive Glock.

The magazines have been full metal lined for at least 10 years now and I have seen metal 1911 and SIG magazines split.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
The magazines have been full metal lined for at least 10 years now and I have seen metal 1911 and SIG magazines split.

Glock factory magazines are one of the best designed on the market.  Bill T.

Offline Savage

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
The metal lining of the Glock mags were a fix for the not so great all polymer mags. Another improvement on "Perfection".  It was a concession to the bottom line. ie: The most cost effective fix. Current Glock mags are as good as most. Even the Korean made mags work as well for me as the factory ones. Nothing new about Glock magazine design, staggered round double stack mags have been around for a lot longer than Glock.
Not trying to be negative here, my Glocks are the right tool for a lot of jobs at a reasonable price. Their popularity as a duty sidearm is in part due to the low manufacturing costs allowing them to be sold to police agencies at a more than competitive price point. Of course it doesn't hurt that they are one of the most reliable pistols on the market, require less training due to the simple design and manual of arms. Department armorers can attend a two day course (Should be a two hour) and replace any failed part in a matter of minutes. Did I mention parts are cheap and available? All of these things explain the popularity of the Glock. I like mine based of some of the same reasons, and the availability of after market parts of course! ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »
The clipdraw is a pretty neat little product. Lets you run concealed carry with a clip like a knife has on it instead of a bulky holster. http://www.clipdraw.com/

Tritium sights have been covered quite a bit on this thread, but they are potentially the must have, unless you only plan to defend yourself in daylight hours.  ;) The local shop sales them for $60 more for the tritiums, so it really shouldn't be an add on. I's cheaper just to get them that way stock than to go aftermarket.

Molon labe

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »

Glock factory magazines are one of the best designed on the market.  Bill T.
Like I said I haveseen two split , time will tell .
As for profit , never said it was bad now did I ? Point is from an enomical stand point the decision is made not always BEST product but one that will work. You omited the fact that some are failing . And FYI I had a G-23 that did not work and the factory repaired it . Yes people need to smarten up .

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:50 AM »
You omited the fact that some are failing.

All weapons ever manufactured have a failure rate. Glock is no different. I didn't think I "had to mention it". It's a gimme. With that said Glocks are better than most. The sheer numbers of them that are in service world wide prove that. What kills me are all of these post that try to put forth this silly attitude that...."Yeah, their good.....But not THAT good!" The fact of the matter is the Glock is the most successful design to come along in the last quarter century.

They are used by more military and law enforcement agencies than any other pistol. That isn't because they "Kaboom", or are built cheap, or Gaston Glock overcharges for them to pay for his private jet, or they aren't repaired, just replaced, or any and all of the other nonsense that accompanies Glock threads by the people who don't care for the platform. It changes nothing. I own and shoot pistols from all of the major manufacturers. Many cost several times what I paid for my Glocks. I'm still waiting to find one that outclasses them when everything is factored in. I guess I'll just have to keep on waiting.   Bill T.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:14 AM »
OK Bill , Glock did come up with a fire control system some say it was an improvement on an existing one but off hand I cant remember which one . They use plastic , Remington did 20 years before them , poly rifling again H&K and others had done so long before some before WW2, BBL to slide lock up pure Browning . The safety on the trigger he gets an att-a-boy.
My point is they are not that better , good sure for certian applications but not all.
Succesfull sure and again I suggest price plays a big part and has their aggresive marketing . Now saying they are used by more agencies or militaries might be but maybe not. Better to ask are more in service with either ? Russia or China alone may field more pistols than Glock has thus far made who can say with confidence ?
As for out classed , what is your requirement ? Accuracy ? reliablity ? Cost ? After market parts  ? I dare say a box stock Glock dosen't shoot better than a quality box stock Colt, Sig , H&H , Beretta etc. Most quality guns are reliable and most other than Glock are safe with lead bullets ( shooting lead in a glock requires either a bbl swap or jacketed bullets eating some of the savings in cost ) . As for after market parts Colt wins hands down . Glock is a good gun for the attractive cost . I have owned or shot most models so I speak from experince , added bbls went to their arm school can tear them down and re assy . Have added parts etc. There are as good and better guns out there. but you have to invest a little more .

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
Glock has range rental guns that have had well over one million rounds fired through them. The indoor range near me cycles a new one into the mix every 100,000 rounds or so. And those are 100,000 reliable, trouble free rounds. Glocks have received more torture testing than any other weapon on the surface of this Earth, and have outclassed weapons costing many times more.

Glocks were never designed to be "pretty". It is a self defense weapon, not a Grade VI Citori, or a Weatherby Mark V De Luxe. Tenifer is one of the most durable firearm finishes on the market. It has survived salt water immersion tests, and come out better than any other mass applied finish in the firearms business. 

The Glock pistol has an unsupported chamber, and it does not fire lead bullets BY DESIGN. The barrel is throated to give reliable feeding with any type of open nosed defense ammunition on the market. It has Polygonal rifling to achieve the highest possible velocity with the least amount of pressure while shooting this ammunition. Most all Glock "kabooms" can be contributed to shooting either lead bullets, reloads, or all of the above. Both of which are highlighted in the owners manual NOT TO BE FIRED in a Glock pistol. If you run cheap regular unleaded in a Ferrari and detonate the engine, is this the manufacturers fault? Polygonal rifling does not lend itself to shooting lead bullets. Why would anyone carry a self defense weapon loaded with lead ammunition anyway? I don't even know anyone who sells factory loaded, lead self defense ammunition. The Glock is a service weapon, and a self defense tool. It is not a target pistol, and never was designed as such.

I purchased an H&K USP 9. It is not half the weapon my Glocks are. The gun is horrendously over priced. The magazine release is poorly designed, and can easily pinch your fingers, and or break. The magazines are poorly constructed compared to a Glock, and much like the weapon itself, are overpriced costing over twice what a Glock drop free, metal lined magazine costs. The weapon itself has far more parts, is not as reliable, and is prone to parts based failure far more than any Glock could hope to be on it's worst day. I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my half dozen Glocks, and have yet to experience a single FTF or FTE in any of them. I wish I could say that about my H&K that I spent almost twice as much on, and found it to not be half the gun.

I base my opinions on actual results I have obtained, firing tens of thousands of rounds through literally dozens of weapons that I actually personally purchased, own, and shoot on a regular basis.  Bill T.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »
Even Glock knows springs and other parts need replacing before 100000 rounds ! Like I have said they have people on hand to do so at major events . I also mentioned they do shoot alot of rounds and that's not the problem its heat and age . You bring up the unsupported chamber not I it has been a problem , saw a 10 mm come apart and several police depts sent the 40's back because of it . Yes they are ugly but I did not mention pride in the looks of one gun like a Browning owner  , Hey you can sharpen your knife on one  ;). Yes there are several things a Glock is not to be subjected to only pointing out it has limited usefulness in many cases you brought it up. I base my opinions on both experince , enomics and common sense .
 As for testing maybe in a lab , I'll wait until they have been thru. 2 world wars and many other wars as they are the real test .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »
Time for chapter two...
I just picked up a early GEN 2 G20 10MM. It's not a daily carry gun it's a hunting wilderness defensive gun.

Strongly considering a 6" barrel and metal sites. It currently has factory adj sites.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
Yep I got a gen 2 mod 17 with lots of experince , police trade in . It needs some TLC. It will be a good test !

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
I dont know if you must have them but so far I have went GR 3.5lb connector, 6lb trigger spring, and reduced power FP saftey spring. I left my firing pin spring alone so far because I have heard of light primer hits with the reduced power spring. I also have added a extend slide release lever. Not really functional if you end up racking the slide with your hand I just tend not too. I bought a tungsten recoil guide rod and guide rod spacer to use a g3 guide rods in my g4. I ended up sticking with the 18lb standard factory spring as of now because im shooting factory loads. other than that Tru-glo TFO sights.

I will be purchasing a LW or KKM 40-9 barrel soon. I just bought a 1000 rounds of 40 this past month and I was looking at prices today from the same manufacture and total price has went 18.00 in about 2.5 weeks. I think the 9mm is the way to go for now But I like have the 40.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
CW,

I try to mostly keep my Glocks stock.  Of course there are exceptions.  I like tritium sights.  I also like the Glock extended slide lock.  I also dislike the grooved trigger, so I replace the G19s with a G17 trigger.

I haven't seen lots of failures with Glocks, but what I have are mostly related to after market parts.  Not all after market parts are created equally of course.  I have used Lone Wolf barrels and they have never given me a problem.

COSteve over to Paco Kelley's Leverguns web site has a G20 with six inch barrel and slide that he loves.  You could search over there for some of his posts and learn alot.  He handloads and is a sharp guy.  Good luck!

Cat

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
Shot 7-8 mags through a plain Gen 1 Glock 22 the other day at the range. I didn't think I'd like such an ugly plastic gun - I'm an all-steel, sometime single-action kind of guy - but now I want one. I shot better with it than a CZ-75.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Must have for my Glock 19 with my bad eyes was a Trijicon RMR I now hit better then I could with good eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the upgrade to the sights. Is it you have shot better with the replacement or just want them to glow in the dark? I've owned my G17 for 5 years and 800 rounds without thinking of replacing the sights. It shoots pretty good as is, did your target groups improve after changing sights?   Thanks   .DT

Offline Savage

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the upgrade to the sights. Is it you have shot better with the replacement or just want them to glow in the dark? I've owned my G17 for 5 years and 800 rounds without thinking of replacing the sights. It shoots pretty good as is, did your target groups improve after changing sights?   Thanks   .DT

The "RMR" is a red dot sight.

Savage

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
Thanks Savage, although my post was not directed at lostone1413, I see where most people buying a Glock instantly want upgrades to the sights. Are my standard "plastic" sights hurting my target shooting?   .DT

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
Thanks Savage, although my post was not directed at lostone1413, I see where most people buying a Glock instantly want upgrades to the sights. Are my standard "plastic" sights hurting my target shooting?   .DT

IMHO, Glock sites or stock glock fixed sites are fair for combat/defence... Would be better is steel. They do offer them in steel if you so desire. The adj sites form glock are a bit fragile and lack any fine adjustments.

A good aftermarket site is a good improvment to any gun.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »
For normal range use the factory Glock sights are ok. For tactical manuplitations or fine target work they are less than adequate. Sights are the first item replaced on a working Glock.
Savage

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Avid Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:59 AM »
Thanks for the replys!   .DT

Offline Oldshooter

• GBO subscriber and supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
This may be a repeat but the xs big dot is my choice of a "have to have" improvement. My 36 and 21  shoot well with them and for over two years now I can find either one of my glocks in a pitch black room by finding the sights in the dark. NOw I hear you can get drop in triggers for glocks that improve  them, does anyone know of these or have an objective review of any of these?
“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »
my favorite glock is my 23. Its just the right size and if glock would come out with an identical 10mm id buy one in a second. I kind of chuckle at glock fans though. they want you to think theyve boughten a top shelf premium weapon. Glocks are a dammed good gun but there nich is that they sell a gun thats a bit crude but dead reliable at a cheap price. Sure theres guns just as good or better out there but not in glocks price range.
blue lives matter

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:20 AM »
I bought a G26 Gen 3 for one reason, defensive carry.The one flaw that it has IMO, if you could call it that, is the mag release. I simply can not manipulate the release without changing my grip, so I added an extended release. I know some say this will cause a problem with unintended mag releases in the holster, but I have not had any problems.
I also added XS Big Dot sights, fast on target at defensive ranges, this is not a target gun.
Talon grips, gives me a good solid grip under all conditions such as sweaty or wet hands. Who knows what condition your hands may be in when your firearm is needed.
My IDPA and target gun is a bone stock M&P 9Pro. Very happy with it also, but it is not a carry gun.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »
Time for chapter two...
I just picked up a early GEN 2 G20 10MM. It's not a daily carry gun it's a hunting wilderness defensive gun.

Strongly considering a 6" barrel and metal sites. It currently has factory adj sites.

CW

Well I ordered a 6" KKM barrel and was told it was on back order. I was surfing and ran across a sweet deal on a LW 5.5" ported barrel! SO I grabbed it!  Then a week later I got a email that the KKM was being shipped!!! 
BOTH shoot very well. With the 10mm these ports really work well!
I have worked up some good shooting and respectable power loads around the 175g Silver tip and 200g XTP bullets.

For sights, I have big dots on the 23 and I took a chance on a set of Tru-glo TFO's. while they are metal... The plastic tubes are known to fall out and being plastic, more fragile. BUT the set up with different colors and different intensities. These sites work well!

Accuracy with the 20 easily meets my 2" @50 yard criteria. Best part, it does that with any barrel and nearly any load I shoot in the gun!
The 23 is also a good shooter, but while the big dots are quick I just don't shoot them as well. Once I hit 25 yards the accuracy opens right up. BUT I don't "need" this gun to preform past 25 yards. When I put these on I said I would give them a honest try. So I'll keep them for a while and hopefully my shooting will improve with them.

I also accomplished something this year. I took a small buck with the G20. It was a 35 yard shot I used a 175g silver tip. I have been a fan of this bullet for many years. Velocity was 1350 fps and impact was top of shoulder quartering to me. I took out two vertabra, the top of the lungs, pierced the shoulder blade and exited about mid way back in the ribs. He dropped at the shot. Pretty awesome preforms ce from a bullet some say is NOT as good as it used to be. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 07:31:03 AM »
Very nice work CW. 

Regardless of what some may say, it's results that count itsn't it.

I wish I could use the large frame Glocks.  They're just too big for my fingers to get around though.  Especially nowadays with all the quality after market goodies you can get.

I have been away from Glocks for about the last five years and have just come back to them.  Great timing on my part! :)  Wow have prices gone up.

Cat

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2019, 05:05:25 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!