Author Topic: Getting excited now, CCW is close.  (Read 727 times)

Offline sitdwnandhngon

• Trade Count: (0)
Getting excited now, CCW is close.
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
It's been over 3 months since I turned in all my paperwork. Today I went in for my interview with the State PD and everything went smooth. He even got a kick out of the "self preservation" comment on my application for reasons.

Hopefully within a few weeks I get my shiny new permit and can go out and buy a Walther P22. Gotta get my ass in gear and make a little extra money.

Offline Savage

Re: Getting excited now, CCW is close.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
Isn't it a shame that we would have to file an application to exercise our constitutional right to bear arms? Then submit to an interview yet! P-22???  Any particular reason for your choice?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
I don't have much pistol experience so I want to get as much practice as I can and pistol ammo around here is super expensive still.

If i can focus more on form and less on how many shots I have left to practice this week I think it will help me in the long run.

Plus I coonhunt and I think that the P22 with laser attached at night would be leaps and bounds ahead of lugging my rifle through the woods.

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
I am pleased everything went well for you. It just seems so unfair that any honest American citizen should have to be interviewed by a public servant to  get a gun permit.  Why should these public employees have such power over the very people who pay them. The right is after all the 2nd amendment to or Bill of Rights. It is not like getting a drivers permit. :(

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:16:39 AM »
 Being unfamiliar with a state that requries and interview and, even permission to hold such a right unless forfieted by law, i am glad you passed all the required paperwork to do what the constitution says that you have the right to do.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:23 AM »
Plus I coonhunt and I think that the P22 with laser attached at night would be leaps and bounds ahead of lugging my rifle through the woods.

Check your local game regs.  Many states do not allow laser sites for hunting.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline spruce

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:26:51 AM »
Congratulations!

While the P22 may not be near the top of most people's lists of CCW carry guns I think you made a wise decision to start out with something you can afford to practice extensively with.  I'm a firm believer that everyone's first handgun should be a .22.  Once you've mastered the basics with that you can move up to something with a little more power.

After all, a few good hits with a .22 is better than a few misses with a .357 or a .45.

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
]

Check your local game regs.  Many states do not allow laser sites for hunting.

I'm gonna dig out this years hunting regulations manual and try to find it, but the why I recall it reading is something like this "Hunting fur bearers and night may be done with or without the aid of light"

I don't remember seeing any regs saying what kind of light emitting device and mounting options because alot of predator lights are gun mountable

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Found this at the NY DEC website. Lasers are good to go for varmint and furbearer hunting in NY, thought I would add this snippet for anyone looking for info from google.

Q: What types of scopes are prohibited in New York?

A: Any scope that projects light beyond the body of the scope, including laser sights, is prohibited for hunting deer and bear in New York. Artificial lights, including laser sights, may be used at night to hunt coyote, fox, raccoon, or bobcat. You may not use artificial lights to hunt big game.

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
For your applications, sounds like the P22 will work for you. One of the Walther center fires might be a good choice as a CCW later on as you'll be familiar with the platform. Hope your permit comes soon!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:42:50 AM »
Actually I planned on the Walther P99AS for my second if I ever decide to carry regularly. I really like the trigger setup on it and I think the Walthers look good, have a fair price and reputation behind them, I haven't heard to many bad things.