Author Topic: Lubing cases  (Read 1487 times)

Offline wwjmbd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lubing cases
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
Ive used a lee collet neck sizer die to avoid lubing, I dont get any better accuracy by only neck sizing for my 30 30s but it is worth it just to avoid lubing and wiping the lube off. The neck sized brass always worked fine in my 336 marlin and my nef.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lubing cases
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
"Ive used a lee collet neck sizer die to avoid lubing, I dont get any better accuracy by only neck sizing for my 30 30s but it is worth it just to avoid lubing and wiping the lube off." - wwjmbd

I too, avoid full length sizing like the plague. I neck size as much as possible with bottle necked cases and use carbide dies for straight walled cases. Unfortunately, there comes a time when you must full length size your bottle necked cases or throw them away (too expensive). Some rifles require a full length resize every time, such as semi-autos and heavy loads in certain other rifles. If you want to be absolutely sure a cartridge chambers in a repeating rifle, some resize for reliability. So when that once in a life time trophy steps out and you need a second shot, you go to load up and the cases will not chamber and you are 50 miles from the nearest store, or if you are defending your home, you know the next cartridge is going to chamber and not misfire or jam. If you reform cases, you need to lube up as well. I also hate to wipe off cases, that is why I use a water soluble lube, so I can rinse them off and lay out to dry overnight. I already tumbled them before the reloading process and do not want to do it again or set with a rag wiping each off, hoping I did not get any inside the neck. I can also use it on the inside of the case neck as it rinses out along with the outside. If am in a big hurry to use the cases, I have used an oven to dry the cases or run a hair drier over them, before priming.

BTW I have not had a stuck case yet; if the resistance is too much I back out the case and start over. It should feel smooth all the way through the stroke. If it starts to feel like it is dragging, something it wrong, even when reforming a case, so I back off, relube and restart. I am not taking about the force, but how smooth it feels. That is another reason I like a single stage press, I think I have much more control (feel) of the process.

Good Shooting and Good Luck
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.