Author Topic: Ejector or extractor?  (Read 952 times)

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ejector or extractor?
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
Do most new barrels come with eject or extract? Can you order them either way? Seems like the ejector would be the way to go on a hunting rifle. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Ejector or extractor?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
Sorry to bust your balloon, but no, you can't order them either way.  All the new ones are all extractor, and be glad of that.  All my rifles are hunting rifles...and all the Handis I own are extractor.  I wouldn't own anything else.  The cases come out every time; I don't have to shovel snow to find them, and I can pick them out with heavy gloves on.  Read some of the fail to eject topics and you'll see why.  The ejector is not reliable.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
Pete's right on, they haven't made and ejector centerfire rifle barrel is several years, they making extractor rifle barrels in 2004, and eventually(~2007) only shotgun and rimfire barrels come with ejectors, but you can convert and extractor to an ejector with some machine work, it's covered in the FAQs. You'd need to order some ejector parts from H&R, Brownells or Numrich, and either modify the extractor itself or make a new ejector from a shotgun ejector since they aren't made any more, Brownells has a few rifle ejectors in stock for some chamberings depending what year the barrel was made.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
I have both, and converted a couple of ejectors to extract only. I have to admit that the factory extractor is my favorite on the 45-70, though it does not kick the base out very far. Quick 'follow up shots' are not needed by me as I dont have critters trying to make toe-jam or a meal out of me.
If I was in that kind of environment I think some sort of repeater would be my choice.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys! Just trying to feel my way through these things. Is there any way to tell just buy looking witch one a barel may have. I looked at a few used rifles at a gun show this past weekend.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
When you open the action of an ejector barrel, it clicks as the ejector snaps out if it's working properly, an extractor barrel doesn't make any sound.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bayway

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:27 PM »
A lot of used barrels and complete rifles out there with ejectors. Hang around and you will eventually get to try both. I have seen posts on here and I think it is about 50-50 as to which system is better. As for me, it isn't even close: if it doesn't eject it doesn't go hunting with me. A day at the range and they are all welcome to join in.

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
I prefer ejectors, with all the money that it costs to hunt these days a lost piece of brass is the least of my worries.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
I prefer ejectors, with all the money that it costs to hunt these days a lost piece of brass is the least of my worries.
Jim

Well put.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »
These are hunting rifles, and when I open that action I want that empty gone.  It's too hard to pull an empty out with cold fingers or with gloves or mittons on.  At the range it is a simple act to place your hand behind the scope when opening the action and catch the empty.  I want to be able to make a fast followup shot if needed.  I don't want to be fumbling with an empty only part of the way out.

I bought my first Handi because it had ejectors.  I like this little gun so much with that ejector I bought another one, then another.  If I wanted extractors I would have stuck with my TCR and Contender.  But because they only extract they end up staying home, while the Handis go hunting.  I hunt in Alaska and can not afford to mess with an extractor.  I'd sure hate to be stomped by a Moose or mauled by a Grizzly while fumbling with an empty.

I screamed when I heard H&R was converting to extractors, too many range shooters were not happy with the ejectors, and hated picking up brass.  They pushed H&R to ruin a good hunting rifle and turn it into a range gun.  I will not own an H&R with extractors.  I have not bought a new one lately, and probably never will buy another one, since I won't buy one with extractors.  My 30-06, 45-70,  .243, .17HMR, and .223s have never failed to eject.  Only the .35 Whelen ever failed, new right out of the box.  NEF fixed it and it has never failed again.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
There is a lot of mixed feelings about this as I expected. The only handi rifle I have ever had is the only one I have ever shot. It was a 223 and I remember wishing that it ejected like my topper 20 Gage, which was also my first gun! I think I would like the ejector over the extractor because I don't spend as much time at the range shooting as I should, and I think it would be better for a hunting situation. As I think about it I can count on about 1/2 a hand the number of times I have taken more than one consecutive shot at large game. Yotes....that's a different story!! I also know I would not like to have a dang case stuck in the chamber because my ejector failed! Hopefully I'll get to shoot an ejector so I can choose for myself. Thanks again for everyone's imput. How hard are FTE's to clear when it does happen?

Offline cnctech

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »
I like the ejector on my 30/06, and have never had a FTE. However, the "click" is worrisome when hunting. I've not needed a second shot on deer with my Handi, yet. But a bullet deflection or hurried shot could result in a miss, at which time deer usually freeze and try to pinpoint the location of the shooter before fleeing. If the animal is close, say within 100 yards, the noise of the ejector upon reloading will give away your position and guarantee a running away second shot.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
I also, like many here, much prefer the ejectors to the cheaper to produce extactor barrels. Close to 100% of my H&R's are ejectors. The one exception is my newer model .44 Mag barrel, and that is because I wanted the smaller diameter bore to accurately shoot factory ammo. Keep your eyes open for the caliber barrel you want and it will eventually come up in the classifieds. Or you could try posting a WTB for the specific caliber barrel you want, and be sure to specify ejector (and good bore). Although those of us that are lucky enough to have good ejector barrels usually don't sell them there are enough out there so you could get lucky. You do not have to settle for second best and the cheaper extractor barrel if you want the original, and the best, an ejector barrel. If you were going to spend your time just shooting at the range you could get by with an extractor barrel, but if you intend to use your single shot rifle as it was intended to be used, to hunt with, the ejector barrel is far superior...all the best....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 03:59:42 AM »
I'm going against the grain a little here but I like the extractor better. I've had FTE's with my 22 hornet and 223 barrels. Have you ever tried to find something in the woods to knock out the empty? Good luck. ;)

Spanky

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
Yea, I have had a fail to eject in the woods while hunting.  I was shooting a Remington 760 Pump in 30-06.  You are right, it's not easy to find something to knock the stuck empty out with.  I found a small piece of quartz along a creek bed that would slid down the barrel.  I dropped it down and poured it out about three times.  That moved the empty enough to be able to take my pocket knife and pull it the rest of the way out.  I carry a day pack with me while hunting, inside is a take down military cleaning rod.  So I always do have a means of knocking out a stuck round, if and when I ever have another.

As for the click the ejector makes when opening, not a problem with me.  I have trained myself to push the release button as soon as I am coming down off recoil.  The gun falls open and the empty is gone, while my left hand is bringing up a new round.  New round dropped in and gun closed just as animals with the one shot goes on alert.  The bullet smack and the sound of the gun going off hits so close togeather it confusses them.  That makes for a good standing shot for a second animal.  Third and fourth shots are usually at running animals.  If I'm shooting a Moose with a heart the size of a soccer ball, and lungs the size of a beach ball, there is no second shot needed.  Grizzlies, that's a differant story.  You keep shooting Grizzlies till they go down. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »
I'm going against the grain a little here but I like the extractor better. I've had FTE's with my 22 hornet and 223 barrels. Have you ever tried to find something in the woods to knock out the empty? Good luck. ;)
Spanky

Spanky, I couldn't agree more.  Sourdough, If that bear or moose is about to make mincemeat out of you, what do you do with a stuck case?  I live in the Bannana Belt of the U.P. of Michigan where toasty is about 15 degrees, and almost always wear heavy gloves.  I haven't had a problem with any of my extractors.  It probably takes me a second or two more to reload, but I KNOW the empty is out of there.  As Spanky has said, go look around the woods for something to poke it out with.  I used a cat tail stem one time that worked well.  It only took me 20 minutes to find it and cut it, and I was fortunate that no bear was after my butt.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
If you have a rifle that has a FTE issue then you need to send it back to get it fixed just like you would with a rifle that had a FTF issue. Why would you even go hunting with a rifle like that?

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
I have had both and have sold all my barrels with extractors and replaced them with ejector barrels. Handis are hunting rifles, not target rifles. Most of my hunting is done in cold weather and I hate having to try to get my cold fingers around a case that barely sticks out of the chamber, under a scope. I will never own another extractor barrel.

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
I think the cleaning rod in your pack sounds like a pretty good way to deal with a FTE. Does anyone carry a sidearm while hunting dangerous game with a single shot rifle? Seems like that would be a good idea even if you were hunting with a bolt or pump gun. That would help alleviate the getting eatin anyway. I'm going on my first bear hunt this year and if I get charged I'll need a gun that's easy to shoot while looking over your shoulder!!!

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
Unfortunatly, 'easy to shoot while looking over your shoulder' isnt going to be shooting accurately.
After watching some of the charging, mad critter videos online Ive concluded that Im not likely to be able to drop the rifle, pop the snap, quickdraw a handgun, get it on the kill zone and get a aimed shot off until the beast is upon me.
Guess Im just old and slow (but I did get old  ;), somehow).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »
I don't see the advantage of one over the other, except Tim has come up with a way to make an extractor extract longer.  I still prefer my extractors.  It doesn't matter much either way if you follow the primary rule:  Don't touch the trigger until you're 99.99% sure of a bang flop kill.  I have let more game walk in the past ten years than I have killed in the previous 30.  I always take what I believe are going to be killing shots, so one shot is all that's needed.  I do put a .357 out of my Blackhawk behind the ear of any deer or bear I've "killed"....just to make sure it is planted before I field dress it.

Pete

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
I hate opening the gun at the end of day of hunting and watching my reload fly 12 feet into the snow. I try not to need more than one shot.

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
I too would like to get older, guess I better make the first shot count!!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
tzimm007,  I guess at about age 55 or so I decided I no longer wanted to track wounded animals around the woods in the dark, rain, snow, wet autumn leaves, etc.  That's when I canned my 6 mms and went to stoppers.  It is also when I wised up and learned to make the first shot good.  I guess I was a slow learner.

Pete

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
1.  My Handi's don't fail to eject.
2.  I always carry a S&W .460 on the left side handle forward.
3.  I always have a cleaning rod with me.

Wreckhog:  Put your hand behind your scope when you push the button to open the action.  Save yourself having to chase down your ejected shell.  Simple little action.  I place my left thunb on my forefinger, with all the fingers curled.  When the shell comes flying out sand hits my thumb, I close my fingers.  Just caught the shell, be it empty or loaded.  I'm an old man with arthritic fingers, if I can catch it anyone can.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 05:02:29 AM »
.  I'm an old man with arthritic fingers, if I can catch it anyone can.

I'm really happy to hear I'm not the only one. ;D

Sourdough, I'm a veteran, and I wrote that check 50 years ago...it's still uncollected.  If they'd call me up I'd be off in an instant.  For some dumb reason they don't think we Old Farts know anything, can't stand up and shoot, or endure hardships.  If ya live in Michigan or Alaska, you could teach the young ones about hardships.  Granted, I'm not as fit today as I was 30 years ago, but I'm a better shot.....owning Handis did that.

Pete

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:59 AM »
'Old guys' are more dangerous (to the hostiles); we cant run, we gotta just stay and fight  ;).
Kinda like the warrior who ties himself to a stake and stands before the enemy sayin'
"Its a good day to die". (bring it on)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special