Author Topic: ames 3 / 4 pounder  (Read 1417 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
ames 3 / 4 pounder
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
I am looking for proper bore size of a ames 3 or 4 lb gun.  I am hopeing to take a hern iron works 2/3 scale  6lb gun and reline it to 3 inch to make it work.  but there is not much info on these gun online.
    rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

Re: ames 3 / 4 pounder
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »
My boss has one what do you need to know?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:51:38 AM »
i am looking for the bore diameter difference in a 3 lb gun and a 4 lb for this gun.  steen sells it as a 3 in gun but i can get one from hern for 700 or so. or i can make one. but there is not much info on these little gun on line. or in my books. i want to get build one if the price is right. 

i want all the barrels that will fit a praire carriage.

rick bryan

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:22:28 PM »
lol just remember its just money, you cant take it with you.   and every one dies but not everyone lives.       but cannons sure are fun.

rick bryan

You are absolutely right, Rick; so how much would a chunk of bronze big enough to machine one of these out of cost? ;)

Steen Cannon & Ordnance Works
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
well i would have it cast then i would bore it, but price is a trade secret. sorry,  but i would make it out of steel or bore out hern iron works iron gun and reline it.

rick bryan

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
The silicon bronze I cast my half scale mountain howitzers from cost about $2.25 a pound when I bought it.  The price of copper alloys has about tripled in recent times so a reasonable guess would be from $6 to $7 a pound for bronze.  My raw castings weighed about 90 pounds; figure a full scale one would weigh 8 times as much and 2/3 of that would be chips since the finished ones weighed only about 225 lbs as I recall.  You can sell the chips back at scrap prices so you would recover some of the cost but not a lot.

I don't know the dimensions of the Ames so I can't estimate for it but it looks bigger than a mountain howitzer.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
Holy spumoni, Rick; even Marshal Steen wouldn’t claim the price of bronze solid bar stock as proprietary information (at least not in the age of the internet).  :o ;D :D http://www.atlasbronze.com/C90500_solid_bar.html
I'm just teasing you Rick, I think you misunderstood me, I was just asking if you knew the cost of the bronze stock itself, nothing more.

Thanks, George! I also don't know the specs on this midget brother to the M1841 6-pounder; I thought that Rick might have checked out the price for the bronze stock needed to make this sized cannon.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »
The silicon bronze I cast my half scale mountain howitzers from cost about $2.25 a pound when I bought it.  The price of copper alloys has about tripled in recent times so a reasonable guess would be from $6 to $7 a pound for bronze.  My raw castings weighed about 90 pounds; figure a full scale one would weigh 8 times as much and 2/3 of that would be chips since the finished ones weighed only about 225 lbs as I recall.  You can sell the chips back at scrap prices so you would recover some of the cost but not a lot.

I don't know the dimensions of the Ames so I can't estimate for it but it looks bigger than a mountain howitzer.

GG,
Did you also machine a half scale Mt. Howitzer barrel from bronze, or am I just remembering that you machined the cast barrel to finish it?

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:44:09 AM »
lol, i dont know the price of a peice of round stock brass,  but i am sure its out of my price range.   

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:40:05 AM »
This Ames 4-pounder appeared to me to be about a 3/4 scale of the 1841 6-pounder. Has a bore of around 3.198.

Max

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:44:38 AM »
lol, i dont know the price of a peice of round stock brass,  but i am sure its out of my price range. 

Somebody here a while back built a mountain howitzer from steel and had it brass plated, it looked good.
I think it was a full size gun.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 06:37:33 AM »
That was Gary Michie, he had a steel Mt. Howitzer plated.

Does anyone know if there's any proof of these small cannon ever being used in the Civil War, or the Mexican-American War?

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
I couldn't find the post, but here's a different brass plated gun.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,102175.0.html

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
GG,
Did you also machine a half scale Mt. Howitzer barrel from bronze, or am I just remembering that you machined the cast barrel to finish it?

All of the bronze ones I have done were castings which were machined all over inside and out; no unmachined surface on the finished barrels.  I have also done or supervised the construction of steel half scale mountain howitzers which were machined from solid stock and had the trunnions welded on.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill