Author Topic: The addiction continues-new .410  (Read 908 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
The addiction continues-new .410
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Stopped by BIG-5 last night to look for a new golf bag but "accidentally" stopped to check out the shotguns. Low-an-behold they had a selection of H&R's and there was a .410 Pardner. I've been contenplating one of these for a couple of years now but just couldn't find any. The clerk told me they sell out as quick as they get them. Well - I say to myself- I've got a couple of grandsons that are old enough now to start learning to shoot and of course I used this excuse to justify my purchase. Didn't really need to do that though, as I have the addiction and would have gotten it anyway <G>. So now I have a new .410 to play with. I've never shot a .410 but it looks like it should be alot of fun with a hell of a lot less recoil than my 12ga shotguns. Unfortunately, It won't be till next sunday before I get to shoot it.
  I received the new H&R catalog and now have my eyes set on a Topper Deluxe Classic in 20ga.
I may have to order that one though as no-one around here has one.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline joeyant

Re: The addiction continues-new .410
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
I'm not allowed by the wife to go to Big 5 anymore......... :-[
SB1 and SB2 receivers
.223 bull barrel with scope rail
12, 20, and .410 gauge smooth bore barrels
(next on wish list: .357 and .44 mag barrels)

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
HEHEHE - after this I may be in the same situation... but, when she got home from work I was in the garage cleaning it (and playing with it of course - had to work the action cuz it was really stiff). I told her that we have two grandsons that are of shooting age and she agreed - but still gave me that "head tilted to one side - sideways look" thing that she does. Its basically saying
"Yeah - I know you got it for you- but good excuse" <G>.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »
I bought a new 410 youth last year because I wanted the shorter barrel. My nephew confiscated it and I had to buy another one. ;D
For some reason I think you're gonna be in the same boat after your grandsons start shooting. ;) ;D

Spanky

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
HEHEHE - probably will be. I am thinking of putting a nylon stock set (youth) to lighten it up some and keep the adult wood set for when I want to go out and blast stuff.
  We are planning on going out this next sunday. Will post how it goes.
Thomas B.

Offline Curt Dawson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »
A 410 also makes a great addition to your golf bag for those varmits on the green. ;D

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
Is the action stiff with the forearm removed?  My new NEF was very stiff but loosened up with the forearm off.  It was the forearm spacer being too tight to the frame, to the point that the plastic was flexing.  Like Tim would say, look in the FAQs for the fix (sanding down the front of the spacer a tad).

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Yep - it was really tight. I took it off and sanded down the wood just a smidge (about 5 or 6 passes on a flat sheet of sandpaper) and it works pretty good now.
Thomas B.