Author Topic: Exact weight  (Read 506 times)

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
Exact weight
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
I have an old RCBS balance beam scale, was a little corroded and paint off at the pointer end. but I figured if I adjusted the leveler to zero it should weigh accordingly. Just got a set of Lee powder scoop measures and it looks likes my scale weighs way low. Should I get a set of col labration weights or a new scale ? And or both ?
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Exact weight
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
The Lee powder scoops aren't very accurate, either. If the scale needs refurbishing, send it to RCBS and they'll fix it free.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »
That sounds like a good deal, I think I'll give it a try.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
You can buy a set of weights (I have a set from Lyman) to check your scale and I would suggest all do so at regular intervals.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
 A good quick and dirty check weight is a dime. They consistently weigh in at 35grns +/- .1grn. You still need a set of check weights, but using a dime will tip you off to gross scale error. Good luck.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to use some check weights because the Lee powder scoops are always a little on the light side as far as I've ever seen.  I guess they do that to be safe.  You can always count on them to work though!  I keep a set of them around because they're cheap and they work when you just want to try something without having to adjust your powder measure.  I'll never be without a set!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
Geeez, I would have thought a match bullet would be a very good way to check your scale. ;) :D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
Match bullets are in short supply around my AO. I can usually scrape up a dime------------- ::)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
I'm with Scatterbrain, if I have any doubt just use a bullet to check, unless its one of my own cast bullets.   ;D

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
A good quick and dirty check weight is a dime. They consistently weigh in at 35grns +/- .1grn. You still need a set of check weights, but using a dime will tip you off to gross scale error. Good luck.
Savage

The newer the dime and the less wear the better. FWIW a new quarter weighs 87.501 gr. I really like dippers, but they rarely meet what is the listed weight of powder. With a little practice, you gan get very repeatable charges (I can hold +- 1/10 gr).

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Match bullets are in short supply around my AO. I can usually scrape up a dime------------- ::)
Savage

I keep a shiny new dime next to the scale for exactly the same reason. I also use a digital to confirm loads weighed out on the balance beam. Not only does it check the balance beam, but it helps to assure I haven't had a brain fart while setting the Uniflow.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"