Author Topic: Lake Co. CA Cannon.  (Read 566 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Lake Co. CA Cannon.
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
I did some investigating at the Lake Co. Museum today. There had been some bronze guns there until 1942 when they went into a war time scrap metal drive.   What I know about them - one made in 1870, one made in 1871.  12 pounders (according to the newspaper clip they had).  Bronze.  These are the only two images they had of them.  I am having trouble getting that second image to load as a larger size.  Both photos from the Lake Co. CA museum archives.   Anyone have any clue as to what type of gun that is?

And, if it would help, I can forward the email with the larger sized image to you, I just can't get it to post to photobucket.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Lake Co. CA Cannon.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
You can upload full size images to imgur without an account:
http://imgur.com/

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
Thanks, Soot.

A little better.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
It appears to be a Dahlgren boat howitzer.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
It appears to be a Dahlgren boat howitzer.

Thank you! I knew I could get a quick answer here.  I was drawing a blank on it.  I knew I had it rattling around in the back of my head, but it just wouldn't shake free. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
I should add that they were donated to the WWII metal drive with the provision that they be replaced with more modern war trophies.  What sits in their place are Type 92 Battalion Guns, the wooden wheels of which rotted and were replaced with metal wheels. 

Another thing of interest I found in the files I sorted through was a clipping from 1934.  Seems like some people had been saying that the howitzers should go because they promoted war and violence.  The clipping was a letter to the editor arguing that the howitzers should stay.  Some things never change, do they?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
This website is about some trophy cannon and WWII scrap metal drives in Medford, Oregon. Notice how powerful the newspaper messages to citizens are in describing the great need for metal, and the duty involved in showing one's patriotism. There is of course a controversy that has been brewing for years about whether these scrap drives were really needed for the material war effort, or whether they were more of a public relations ploy intended to act as morale boosters for the American public. 

http://id.mind.net/~truwe/tina/cannonmedford.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.