Author Topic: Yale student killed when lab machine snags hair (lathe accident!!!)  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Mike H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Y'all seen this?  I doubt she was turning a cannon barrel, but interesting freak lathe accident just the same.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_yale_student_dies

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Yale student killed when lab machine snags hair (lathe accident!!!)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »
I suppose she either didn't receive any safety training (it was the first section in the machinist book I had) or ignored it as irrelevant because such a thing couldn't happen to her.  Cruel; but there is no excuse for this kind of accident.

And probably the real truth will be suppressed because it offends someone and the university president will close the shop because the machine killed her and we can't have such dangerous machines around innocent students.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »
35 years ago when I started to learn turning and milling all who had more than 4" long hair was forced to use a hair net to keep it in place .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline willdj79

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:12:41 AM »
I went to college for machine trades tool & Die, while I was attending I witnessed a guy get pulled in to tee lathe from his machinist apron. He had the strings crisscross around his back and tie in the front which got wound around a fast spinning lead screw while he was leaning over the lathe polishing. Needless to say he got lucky and hit the floor brake before it ripped his apron off of him. One safety rule that should always be followed in any machine shop is to not work alone around machine tools. In this case it looked like that was the case.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:32 AM »
Some people are fated to be the "horrible example" to remind others. 

I would almost bet that it was a case of "This will just take a second" and so she took shortcuts.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:34:10 AM »

It's sad a young life is lost this way, prayers for her family....

There is a photo out on the web of a poor fellow who got pulled into a large lathe,
in the middle of the gore that once was his head you can see one of his eyeballs,
for his sake hopefully the terror and pain ended quickly.

When ever I am on the lathe there is no loose clothing and I do not wear jewlery
including rings that might get caught up in the works accidents happen to the novice
and to those who use them all the time.... the machine doesn't care.... and complacency
is your enemy.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
A tech teacher at my highschool told us about a kid who got his tie stuck in a printing press and almost got pulled in.

Offline kirch

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »

It's sad a young life is lost this way, prayers for her family....

There is a photo out on the web of a poor fellow who got pulled into a large lathe,
in the middle of the gore that once was his head you can see one of his eyeballs,
for his sake hopefully the terror and pain ended quickly.

When ever I am on the lathe there is no loose clothing and I do not wear jewlery
including rings that might get caught up in the works accidents happen to the novice
and to those who use them all the time.... the machine doesn't care.... and complacency
is your enemy.

i use that picture set (4 pictures of the incident) when i give the initial safety briefing to new guys in my shop. it really sticks with them. especially because we have that same lathe!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »

:o
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
yeah those 4 photos is anything but nice to look at
but after you have studied them carefully you think both 2 and 3 times before you do anything in an lathe .
just hope that he had a high rpm so he didnt suffer too much before he died .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry