Author Topic: Sporterized bull barrel project finally complete  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Sporterized bull barrel project finally complete
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:32 AM »
As the title suggests i finally got all the parts i needed to install open sights on both my .223 bull barrel and .17 hmr bull barrel handi's. I just got bored with shooting them scoped and really like the look of sights on rifles IMHO they should come standard on all handi's but we won't go there for now. The parts used on both rifles are identical as the barrels measured essentially the same

parts used:
- Williams WGRS peep sight--also have the ghost ring slide aswell
- williams streamlined front ramp 7/16" height
- williams firesight front insert 3/8" dovetail to match the ramp and the height is .375N

Hope to get out to the range over the next few weeks to find out if my math was correct on the front sight insert.

Hopefully the pictures im trying to attach work its been a while since i tried uploading any.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Sporterized bull barrel project finally complete
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »
Nice work Adam!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
That's the same setup I used on my 357 maxi and 22 hornet. I used a Remington ramp and brass bead and the WGRS rear. I love it. I'm doing the same thing with my 500 barrel now. It's surprising how well you can shoot with a good set of sights.
Nice work. ;D

Spanky

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Adam,

I hope they shoot as nice as they look.  Is the front ramp d/t or epoxy?

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
That's the same setup I used on my 357 maxi and 22 hornet. I used a Remington ramp and brass bead and the WGRS rear. I love it. I'm doing the same thing with my 500 barrel now. It's surprising how well you can shoot with a good set of sights.
Nice work. ;D

Spanky

Spanky, all talk no pics, just doesn't cut it around here. I like the idea too.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
Thanks guys

Its was either buy a new superlight compact which i might still do or customize these barrels to suit my needs and even though at the end of the day i could have bought a new superlight for only about $ 75 more than I spent on all of the parts for these two barrels,  im glad i get the benefits of the bull barrel's in the accuracy dept.
I just can't wait to get out and see how I can shoot versus what the rifles are capable of as
both were shooting very well when scoped. I really like the idea of the slimer profile and durability gained from sights which will be a huge plus for me when tossing them into my canoe pack or bungyed to the top of my kayak on river trips as the scopes got in the way all the time when packing them or trying to get the rifle out from under the bungy cords on my kayak when a quick float by shot presents itself on a racoon or coyote drinking at the river bank.
Hey BB ,
they are both drilled and tapped and epoxyed on as i am a firm believer in over engineering whenever possible, the williams streamlined ramps are available as screw on or glue on but i bought the screw on version, the contour was almost a perfect match to the barrel and i only needed to sand them for about 20 min's or so to get everything ready to install.

Spanky what distance are you shooting to with yours, my clubs range is 200 metres long so i hope to get dinner plate or better accuracy out that far as i assume the bead alone will cover that much at 200. The farthest i have shot with a peep sight is 100 yards with my anschutz .22 and was more than accurate with it at that distance but the apature is much smaller than the wgrs which is not much smaller than the ghost ring apature i bought for the 17hmr.

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Great looking rifles! How long are the barrels

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »
Been thinking I wanted peeps for my Fat barrel 223, now I gotta have some. ;)

Adam_R, I am sending you a PM. I can't make out which one I need on the Williams web page. :-[
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56:04 AM »
PM answered

best i can tell from my shipping invoice part #'s are

williams front sight ramp==# 1693

williams firesight insert===# 56436

williams rear sight=== # WGRS-HR

6x48-ns tap is required for the included machine screws for the front ramp if you buy the screw on version--this is the same size that H&R uses for the factory scope rail holes on all my handi's

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
Adam I normally shoot mine at 100 yds. I used Remington front ramps with a bead sight. The bead is small so it gives a perfect sight picture at 100. I've shot my Maxi at 200 yds just for fun and was dinging the target consistently but the bead covers alot.
My favorite thing about that sight setup is that it's very quick getting on target. Should make for very good hunting setup in the fall. :D

Spanky

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Thats exactly why i built them the way i did Spanky,  scopes are alot slower to get on target than good old open sights. Good luck with your .500 S&W barrel if i could hunt in my area with one i would certainly have one in my gun rack

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
Very nice job, thank you for posting pics and part numbers please let us know how they shoot
                                               Regards kaveman

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
hey adam, was that tha .223 HB ya got from me last year ?
that thang wasa shooter for sure ;) kinda missed her several times :'(
but glad ya got it go'n like ya like ;) ifin thats tha same one.
looks nice an handi................. ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Yep she's the same lady

great shooter is right and if it wasn't snowing here today  :'( i would have a range report to post with how the sights worked out, but maybe next weekend weather and Easter dinner dependant i will get it out to test a few boxes of ammo. The barrel was MOA with all factory loads used thus far so if i miss the target with sights its all on me  ;D