Author Topic: Nice old "H&R Automatic" in 32 S&W Long  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Old No7

• Trade Count: (0)
Nice old "H&R Automatic" in 32 S&W Long
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
I guess because the H&R 999 Sportsman was the first handgun I ever bought, I've been attracted to top-breaks ever since.  I finally reacquired one a few years ago.  Then a couple of years back, I got a larger Uberti Schofield in .38 Special and that's been a lot of fun to shoot too.  Later I acquired an old 4" H&R Auto Ejecting (smokeless model) that needed some cold blue and work on the action, but ever since, I've continually been on the lookout for a longer 6" model to better match my Sportsman and Schofield.  Well, I finally got lucky and found one...

Here she is...  A nice old blued H&R "Automatic" in 32 S&W Long, with "saw handle" grips and a 6" barrel.  The bore is pristine, as are the chambers, and the finish is about 99% on the left side (as shown here).  I had to scratch off some slight surface rust on 2 spots on the right side, where she laid in a drawer for a number of decades, but other than that, the rest of the right side was also very good.  Some Oxpho Blue from Brownell's touched up those spots well, after I scratched off the rust with the edge of a penny (a neat trick I read recently, which works slick).

At first glance, I really wasn't crazy about the look of those grips at all, with that odd "hump" on the top/back...  But wow -- wow! -- they sure do feel great and are really comfortable, allowing me a very stable grip.  I was pleasantly surprised, and in this case "beauty is in the hand of the beholder".  It it wasn't for the tiny tiny sights on this one, with the grips and longer barrel, I'd almost be tempted to call it a target model.  The action is nice and tight, and I don't think it was shot much at all...  But I'll take care of that!

Does anyone know if those grips on this are original H&R offering, or an after-market (back then) accessory?

Any other info or comments you have about these would be neat to know.

Thanks for looking!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
Re: Nice old "H&R Automatic" in 32 S&W Long
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »
Old No7,
Very nice piece you have there, sir!
I know that H&R first used that type of grip on the "22 SPECIAL" 1st Variation which was first offered circa 1927.  The 22 SPECIAL was developed from the AUTOMATIC/Auto Ejector model from that era.  I have several late 3rd Models - both 3rd Variation from mid 19teens and 4th Variation from the mid 1920's that are equipped with either the extended, wrap around black hard rubber "Target" grip panels, as well as with the checkered hardwood panels, similar to yours.  These grips were offered as "optional" - however, the serial number on mine is stamped on the front grip strap, as well as on the left side of the grip frame lower strut as was usual - so that leads me to believe that H&R was offering the "Target" type grips on regular production pieces. 
SOME of these grip panels are marked on the back with 3 or 4 of the last digits of the serial number - that will confirm ORIGINAL factory fitting.  Check yours.
I'm guessing that your piece has a serial number above 300,000?  If you provide the serial number, I can help you date the piece.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Old No7

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Thanks for your comments Jim.

You were right about the serial number, it's 4939XX, as marked on the bottom and left side of the grip.  The matching last 3 digits are also on the cylinder and ratchet, so that's good.

If you can project a manufacture date for this, I'd be grateful for that.

There is a 3-digit number stamped inside the grips (same on both), but they don't match the gun -- it's # 382.  I still like those grips though, the feel more than the look, but they're growing on me.

Thanks also for your reply on the "Premier' posting to my comments about the "Colt-type lockup" that I've experienced with this old H&R, and on my other one too.

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:51:48 AM »
Old No7,
Depending upon the barrel rib stamping:  If top line is longer and bottom line (Worcester, Mass. U.S.A.) is centered under it, then it is a 3rd Variation (1913-24.)  If top and bottom lines are equal in length, then it is a 4th Variation (1925-32).  If 3rd Var. year would be probably 1924; if 4th Var. year would be probably 1925.  Your serial number is right around the switch over time.  Let me know which Var. it is - it'll help fill in some of the s/n gaps.
Obviously, if the numbers stamped inside the grips don't match the last digits of the frame, the grip panels are not original to the gun.  Big deal, hunh?  If you like them, keep 'em.
You're welcome glad to help out on all your questions.
Here's a picture of a "fancy" 4th Variation:

Offline Old No7

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
32 Magnum"If top and bottom lines are equal in length, then it is a 4th Variation (1925-32).  ...if 4th Var. year would be probably 1925."
Thanks Jim.

It is indeed a 4th Variation, as the text on the top & bottom lines are equal in length.  Glad to hear this piece will fill in some serial number gaps for you and others -- it's the least I could do.  Can't wait to get her out to shoot, as she doesn't look shot much (if at all).

The grips are really growing on me; like you said, "big deal" that the #s don't match the frame.

Tight groups!

Old No7

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:44 AM »
Old No7,
Serial number to variation 4 - noted and recorded.  Thanks!, buddy.
Let us know how she shoots!!!!