Author Topic: Scope recommendation  (Read 757 times)

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
Scope recommendation
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
I have to be honest I seem to have very strong opinions about scopes
They may not be absolute truths but they are my opinion

I have Ruger 77/22 and 77/22mags and the have compact Leupold and Burris scopes on them
I bought a 77/17 and I think I am going to put a Leupold 2 to 7 33mm I know a 17HRM will shoot a country mile but  in my opinion you can catch it with a catchers mitt at a certain point. (Oh my did I say that outloud here comes the hate mail)

What do you think about this for a scope choice? What would you do?

Thanks Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Scope recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
I have the VX-II 2-7x33 with long range reticle on a #1-RSI 30-06, the VX-II 3-9x33 EFR on my CZ 452, and the FX-1 4x28 on a 10/22. If I were to get a 17 (an urge I am fighting right now) I would probably try the 4x on it, but end up with the 3-9 EFR on it.
Seems to me the fixed parallax on the 2-7 is good enough for large targets like deer, but for the small stuff I would shoot with the 17, I might need the EFR.....but that's just me.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
I'd get a Nikon Prostaff or Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7X32.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:58:52 AM »
I strongly suggest the Leupold scope. Since you already know about Leupold's you are on the right track.

Enjoy,
yooper77

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:51:16 AM »
personaly for a rimfire id look at something with an ajustable objective. Something that will focus from 20 yards to 300 yards. Youd probably have to step up to a 3x9 to get an ajustable objective though.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:00:17 AM »
I had a Leupold VXII 4x12 AO on my SS Ruger Varmint 77/22Mag. It seemed perfect to me...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:10:55 AM »
I think you should mount whatever works and balances on the gun.  I had a 77/17 and put a weaver classic V 4-14x40AO on it.  It was a bit big but worked just great...I sold the gun and replaced it with a savage and it now wears the weaver.  I also have a weaver 3x9AO rimfire scope on a 10/22 and it's just the nuts...I have dozens of leupis for my other rifles but I'm more than a little impressed with the weaver. 

Although....CW is right....also hard to beat a Vari-X II 4x12AO.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:29:05 AM »
I really dont know what it is I just dont like A/Os
I recently got one with a side adjustment I am trying to warm up to it

Hank

Hey drdougrx I was recycling the envelope that you sent grips in and I seem a paper inside .Its the first time on any forum someone actually sent an invoice. Very official I thought long and had but I dont see how I can write it off!  HAHA
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:56:50 AM »
trying to focus a higher powered scope at less then 50 yards or out past 300 is about impossible without an ajustable objective.
blue lives matter

Offline Delbert

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Weaver/Leupold/Burris or other top notch scopes, but I have a 77/22 Mag that I converted over to a bull barrel, 17HMR. I decided to try a Simmons scope for this combination. You're now saying that Simmons SUKS a big one, and in most instances you would be correct with many Simmons scopes made nowadays. The older Japanese Simmons scopes were actually good scopes in their day. What I got is a Simmons 44 MAG model, and I must say that it has surprisingly great glass, with SF(side focus). Also has generous eye relief of 4", single piece tube, and audible (finger) clicks for tracking. It has really surprised me. I compared it with a Leupold lower price model(VX1), and the Simmons was so much better, and the side focus has been spot on for the distances I worked it at, and the tracking has been repeatable. At 100yds, I was getting shots the size of a Nickel. Could of been better, but I was shouldering the rifle/using a tree limb and NOT USING a bench/rifle rest. Also I should mention, I don't have a stock trigger, it's a Jard 1-1/2# trigger assembly. Maybe I got lucky with this Simmons. Who cares, it still works for me and I got one great scope off the shelf, that nobody else will get for the money. Look into a  Simmons 44 MAG, you might be surprised.
Del

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:24:16 AM »
Not surprised by Delberts comment about the Simmons 44 mag scope.  Have looked thru a couple of them at range I shoot and liked what I saw.  The Mag owners were happy with them.  Another Weaver scope model to ponder is the 40/44 series.  Own an Intensity version of a 40/44 Weaver with aspherical lens system.  Think the Weaver 40/44s are made in Philippines and the models with aspherical lens have very bright/clear glass in them.