Author Topic: work on rings?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
work on rings?
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:40:49 AM »
I read a post where a fellow did some sort of work on his rings (lapping i think?) and took him 2 hours, and still wasnt happy with fit. Ive never done anything but mount rings, and scope, and shoot. am I missing something?

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: work on rings?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:48:15 AM »
...sounds like you and I both are missing out on two hours of frustration.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
There is a lapping tool that some people use.  You apply a componding agent to it and twist is back and forth inside the rings and it squares them up.  There is another tool that goes into each seperate ring.  The ends in the middle are pointed and when the points line up, the rins are square. 

Can't imagine th frustration.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Just use Burris Signature Zee rings and there is no need to lap them, the inserts center and align the scope just fine.

There is another tool that goes into each seperate ring.  The ends in the middle are pointed and when the points line up, the rins are square. 

I've seen those, but from what I can see they wouldn't work to tell you for sure that things are lined up.  Try this:  Take two sharpened pencils and lay them on a table with points touching.  Notice that you can keep the points touching and move the pencils left/right to form an angle?  Now, imagine that you could move the blunt end of the pencils up and down as well as left and right - points still touching, but the pencils are not at all in a straight line.

Now imagine if the ends of the pencils were cut square, then you can tell when they touch if they are lined up or not, so those pointy tools could be replaced with two pieces of round stock with perfectly flat, square ends and then you'd have a useful alignment tool.

Just Sayin'

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:05:01 AM »
I read the post Quickdtoo referenced. Grout Scout stated the need very well. As for the scope alignment tool I have one and us it. You'll be surprised how well it works. If your sceptical turn them around after you use them correctly and check you alignment.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
As for the scope alignment tool I have one and us it. You'll be surprised how well it works. If your sceptical turn them around after you use them correctly and check you alignment.

Might want to read http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/12/kokopelli-ring-lapping-tool-and-scope-alignment-bars/ though as you state you can always reverse them and use the flat ends (though, I'd dispense with the supposedly "correct" method and go straight to the method that would always work.)

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
UH OH!  ;D  Tims the one who lapped for 2 hrs. hope I aint in hot water. If your not worried about taking your scope off a gun, ie scratches etc. IS THERE A NEED TO LAP? Im using a dnz one peice mount.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
I use Leupold steel rings and never found a need to lap and my scopes have never been marred when removed.

yooper77

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
UH OH!  ;D  Tims the one who lapped for 2 hrs. hope I aint in hot water. If your not worried about taking your scope off a gun, ie scratches etc. IS THERE A NEED TO LAP? Im using a dnz one peice mount.

No hot water!!   ;D IIRC that was on a set of Weaver Grand Slam rings....some of their made in China crap!  :-\ The DNZ ring mount is not subject to misallignment since they're made as one piece, I probably wouldn't lap it either, depending on how the scope fit in the rings, if they made them in a reasonably low height for H&Rs, I'd give em a try, they only make them high, I don't like my scopes mounted that high, too bad they don't make low rings, same for the Talley. I have a set of low Tally ring mounts on my Tikka, really like them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 04:38:13 AM »
As for the scope alignment tool I have one and us it. You'll be surprised how well it works. If your sceptical turn them around after you use them correctly and check you alignment.

Might want to read http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/12/kokopelli-ring-lapping-tool-and-scope-alignment-bars/ though as you state you can always reverse them and use the flat ends (though, I'd dispense with the supposedly "correct" method and go straight to the method that would always work.)

Just a Shooter

Now that's cool I'll be buying that kit! Thanks

Offline Gallahad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:24:28 AM »
As soon as I found talley rig base mounts, thats all I put on my bolt guns. every set Ive had has been quality. I am trying the dnz on a handi. I figure if i don't like it I can switch it out for something else. ordered a leupold shotgun scope (after weeks of deliberation) from the factory with a post and duplex. this is going on my "444 ultra" I peiced together. My first choice for a scope was the burris timberline 2-7x28.  it was 9.5" long, and had 3.5-5" of eye relief. smaller ocular diameter than leupolds. couldent find one anywhere. However, I think I will preffer the post and duplex to a range finding retical in 444.