Author Topic: Profino barrel by Marrynred  (Read 1448 times)

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Profino barrel by Marrynred
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
After reading Tom's post and seeing the piece of junk he was sold I was reminded of a couple of similar experiences I have had here too. One involved three scopes sold as being in as new condition. When I received them they looked great but when I tried them out none of them would hold zero. I just trashed them, which is what the seller should have done in the first place.
Then there is the barrel in "new condition" that I received with a 2" area with no bluing. Another one came with aftermarket "Profino sights installed by Marrynred" (just kidding). There were 5 extra holes drilled in the barrel and none of the holes lined up! Obviously someone who didn't want to pay a gunsmith but when he sobered up and realized what he had done he just decided to put it in the classifieds.
Something should be done to prevent these things from happening in the first place. I think that photos of the items listed should be a requirement. What do you guys think would help?

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Profino barrel by Marrynred
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
 I'm not sure photos would help.
 If something was to be hidden it sure wouldn't be shown in a photo.
 I agree though that cheaters should be banned--woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline jabey9210

• Trade Count: (4)
  • the boys first dog and yep that's a Handi !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »
I definitely agree I've been lucky on this site so far and have gotten what I expected but I have been taken to the cleaners on other site's nothing leaves a foul taste more than someone deliberately ripping you off especially when it comes to something as sensitive as guns.  I wouldn't do that to someone and if what they are selling is trash they should label it as trash cause more than likely someone would probably still buy it and feel better about it knowing they didn't pay new in box prices.  I feel people who deliberately leave out flaws should definitely be banned.
2-.223's,2-.243's, 4-22lr's, 357, 45LC, 7mm-08, .280, 30-06, 2-4/10's, 20ga, 12ga. and a custom savage 7mmWSM...

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
I think a general sobering of the mad rush too "I'll take it" would help the person making the purchase. It can be tough when 1 person is making fully 30% of the purchases though.

Placing further requirement to a posting is silly, not everyone has a camera. It's simple, make a wise purchase and full disclosure of any communication.
found elsewhere

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
 I agree completely with necchi. Folks need to slow down and ask questions before they make a purchase, especially from an unknown seller.
 As he said, it can be a problem if the majority of sales on here are going to one person, then showing back up for a higher price later.
Thanks to Graybeard aka Bill and Quick this is the best FORUM on the net bar none, a great place to hang out and chat with nice people about our Handi's everyone needs to work to keep it that way.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
I agree with necchi and jeepmann, if you want pics, ask for them before committing to buy, requiring pics just isn't realistic.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
I think a general sobering of the mad rush too "I'll take it" would help the person making the purchase. It can be tough when 1 person is making fully 30% of the purchases though.
[/size]

I've sent a couple PM's to that person asking him to slow down a little and he has no intention of doing so. ::)
It's almost pointless anymore to even try.

Spanky

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »

As he said, it can be a problem if the majority of sales on here are going to one person, then showing back up for a higher price later.

That's what bothers me too........   ::)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
i have noticed some will gobble stuff up quick.........bout a month later you see it again for 50% higher !!! but ifin the buyers will pay that.......what canya do, nadadamthang ::)
sure i have bought plenty and have turned roun and listed'um, only.... and i mean only...
cus they would not lock-up to my project receivers. an i ain't gunna shim  :P
maybe we all shud require our bed-time in our profile !!!!!!!!!!!! :o
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
As one who was burned by a bad trader I have to say that It is tough to make the call on dealing with someone who doesn't have much of a trade count. We all had to start somewhere.
I'm still confident that he will get burned worse by somebody else.
I'm more inclined to check the record with an unknown now and to get answers if I have questions.
As regards my burn, I'm proud to say that another member here sent me the type item I was ripped on gratis.
It just don't get any better than that!  This is the best site going IMHO.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
yeah blake, i know whatcha mean...i been burned 2 times on here but neva reported it cus
i was hope'n they would pay... but neva did, so i'm out an they gained.
kinda fergot bout it and continued on. i'm jus thankful for my family and another day wif'um ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I think the recent posts by GB indicate that buying and reselling for profit on the Handi classifieds is about to end.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline watsisname

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
The intent of this post was not about one member buying more than other members. I asked for ideas to improve purchasing on the classifieds. I suggested (just a suggestion) photographs be included. You know the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words... There is also another saying about buying a pig in a poke. Obviously some don't agree with having photographs, that's fine. This is a great site and most of the members are very trustworthy but there still are members getting burned. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
Best advice for buyers is to ask questions, oldsoldja's reply to died eye was a smart move when died eye wouldn't answer questions..

Im withdrawing my Ill take it because diedeye wouldnt answer my messages.

Pics are always nice, but not everyone has that capability, poor pics seem to show up a lot too, so even that wouldn't help, for example, an out of focus or low quality cell phone pic is of no use.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
I agree with ask questions,and a picture if the seller or trader is abel or willing to do it, if not ask more questions and if it don't feel good back out or take the risk.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
its kind of like in grade school when the teacher says its time to line up after recess and there is that one kid who continues to play in the sand and ruins recess for everyone else

i dont have a problem with someone buying up all the stuff they want for personal use, but it bothers me when its back up in the classifieds soon after at a higher price

When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
in this case, you would have seen it back in the classifieds with a lower price.

(and Zack, you surprise me, why would you delete the other part of your thread?

seemed like you were first telling a story, and then its gone.)  sorry zack you didnt delete it at all, I read yukon above you instead, hope you accepy my appology
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
I gotta be straightforward and honest here Oldsoldja. Alot of guys are frustrated with the fact that you are buying up stuff like it's going out of style. Most of us don't have an FFL or a seemingly endless budget. We scrimp and save and wait for a good deal to pop up. It seems more and more when a good deal does show up you automatically jump on it with the "I'll take it" For God's sake Tom, you've got 70 or so Handi's listed on your signature line.  :o Do you really need or want them that much?? Seriously... a hobby is one thing but being greedy and buying out from under everyone is completely different.
Maybe just maybe you could slow down for a bit and let some other guys play ball too. ;)

Spanky

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
ILL be honest and straightforward too, Ill take offense at that now. You personally told me that recently you wanted a set of stocks that were on a 17hmr I just purchased as a whole gun. You had been asking the seller to sell you them at 50.00, when there were other stocks just like it for sale at 50.00 on the classifieds (and still are). So I dont get first-  why you even asked the man to sell his stocks, two- why you didnt take the stocks on the classifieds, and three- why you didnt take the stocks from me after you complained to me about it ( your response was I dont need the stocks).
I wasnt trying to make you feel better by letting you have those stocks, I was putting cinn lams on it anyway. So you saying you didnt need them, was a shock.

The other item you were pissed that got bought out from under you was, in my opinion as rare to see as a 'camo lam forend', it was a .58 muzzleloader. They dont pop up very often, like maybe twice in the last year.
And I do believe if you look, you had the post before me, which means you could have taken it to spoil my purchase of something I dont need.

Heres something you may not have thought about, those men selling their heirlooms to me, NEED THE MONEY. I didnt sit and nickle and dime them to death, asking for a few sheckles off, so I would feel real good about getting a deal. I bought it with an "Ill take it".

Im sure alot of people will take offense and feel crappy by what you said about me really needing and wanting them that much. yes I want what my handi rifles, I love the little buggers. Need? No. I dont, i admit it. But I want them. Thats the difference. Want.

Ill tell you something else, I quit school at 16 years old and opened a bodyshop, and have been working ever since for 15 hour days. I saved my money when i was young so i had money when i was old. I dont sit in an office all day, i crawl under cars and stretch them back to within 1 millimeter of where they should be, i use a 40,000.00 dollar lazering system that i need to do this. Im a self made millionaire. Ive paid my dues, i have my rights, Dont Tread On Me is my favorite saying, and another is what they say in russia, tough shitski's.       

TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 02:23:41 AM »
Very well said , Tom...your story looks like the the we all wish we had to tell, only the rest of us didn't have the desire to do as well as you..    I , for one appreciate the fact that when some of us are out of work, or work is slow , need someone who will "bail us out"...instead of trying to squeeze the last dime possible out of us for our prized Handi's & parts....also if everyone would bother to notice, Tom is a "Site sponsor" which says he has paid for the right to make money off this site, just as much as any other person or company that sponsors this site....He is one of the best guys I know on here, so if you think some of his stuff on here is too high and you think he is making "too much" profit, then
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM HIM
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:01 AM »
Spanky,
 I feel compelled to comment in Toms behalf here.

I have made at least one teasing comment to him about being as Quick as Tim on grabbing up an item. You know what happened the last time I did?  I got a PM from Tom with an offer of that very item offered to me!!! we struck a trade for an Item I had that he wanted and we are both happy.

I was NEVER upset, maybe sometimes disappointed I missed an item here or there. But truth be told, it simply saved me the coin on an item I really never needed in the first place.  ::)  One other thing, I feel NEED isn't a word that should be associated with the classifieds here anyway. Except if one would look at it, as Tom pointed out. The SELLER "needed" the dollars from the sale. Which is generally the reason for the post it in the first place.

I also understand your other "issue" with an items cost. It's nice to find a deal from someone who doesn't price there item very high. But an items cost is entirely subjective. Whats high here, where I live may be low there where you are or high simply because one member has less to spend than another. Say, you found a barrel for say 15$ would you require the guy to take $50-75 dollars because that's what you feel is a fair price? I say no, you would not. You would pay the price it was offered at and count yourself lucky for getting a deal. There is NOTHING wrong with that! It's simply a free market value and it's called SUPPLY and DEMAND. You ain't changing that one NO HOW!

Just my 2cents, free to take or leave it. Not over priced at all!  ;) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 05:13:47 AM »
I don't take offense to anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. It still don't change anything. Greedy is greedy.

Spanky

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 05:45:40 AM »
I have no dog in this fight. I think this thread was about someone selling someone a very messed up barrel. I'm glad I didn't "Have to JUMP on it or loose it" as I lack the skills and equipment to make it right. That was very rude and banning should be expected. 
I have noticed some lowballing others and some charging more than was a normal price just a few months back. I applaud some for becoming millionaires and working 2/3 of each day, then finding time to buy and sell on here. That is supposedly the "American Way" and look at the condition the country is in for it.
I come to this site to relax and enjoy myself and some other fine people. Maybe we need to get back to what this site was all about and enjoy or recess. This doesn't look like it will make this site as grand as it used to be. Hope we can put the brakes on and enjoy what we have and not screw it up.
Work and play well with others. My 2 cents and all I have to spare ;)

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
I also got "no dog in this fight" (I like that saying). If a person wants to buy everything listed for sale in the selling section that is his buisness. If he wants to turn around and sell it for more or give it away that is also his buisness. If he beats you to the punch well he beat you. No use getting upset at a guy for pursuing his hobby. His hobby maybe buying and selling of handi's and there parts.

If you don't like his prices don't buy it. It is his right to buy or not to buy. Just as it is your right. I haven't bought anything here and not sure if I will. I do know that if people make to many restrictions on trades the markets will dry up.

If and only if a person is doing something against forum rules or illeagal should it be a problem and that should be dealt with by the moderators or law enforcement.

Warning about seller misrepresantation is appreciated. Let the buyer beware!!!
99.99999% here are honorable and there is never a concern.

Offline watsisname

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 08:27:12 AM »
I have dealt with oldsoldja several times and he is a great person to deal with. I was very surprised that someone would be upset that he is buying too much stuff. It's his money, he can spend it as he wishes. I certainly would object to being told I am buying too much stuff... I have a wife to do that ;D

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
The forum set the rules and the first I'll take it wins,very simple system

Offline Crow Buster

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 09:40:19 AM »
What a shame, all this drama wasted on the regulars when the loser that was the problem is already long gone.

CB

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
What a shame, all this drama wasted on the regulars when the loser that was the problem is already long gone.

CB

There's no drama, just honest talk between folks. It's all part of what makes this site the best on the net.
We're like a big family here and we're gonna get under each others skin from time to time.

Spanky

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
+++1  CB
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
I been gone since friday what post did I miss? Thanks Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"