Author Topic: Pressure Levels- standard and +P  (Read 473 times)

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Pressure Levels- standard and +P
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »
My .38 Buffalo Bore LHP load runs about 964 fps in a 4" bbl which is kinda hot for a std pressure 158 gr load. Rem and Win LHP runs 890 fps and are rated +P. How do they get more velocity without needing +P pressures?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Pressure Levels- standard and +P
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
My .38 Buffalo Bore LHP load runs about 964 fps in a 4" bbl which is kinda hot for a std pressure 158 gr load. Rem and Win LHP runs 890 fps and are rated +P. How do they get more velocity without needing +P pressures?

It must be the type of power they use. Some powders and primers will increase pressures.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:03:45 PM »
All BB loads are +P that's all they load I think. I'm not aware of any commercial loader who loads hotter. They are not for guns not +P rated really. I've mostly used their magnum loads and even they are +P as they chrono faster than anyone else's loads.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »
That's the thing, GB. Mine (20C) load specifies standard pressure. They also load I think a gold dot. They are loaded as low flash. My only guess is there are different opinions on where the +P ratings start? Shooting the 20C load does not feel +P so I will agree with the box that it is not. But 964 fps is what it was clocked at with BB's 4" Ruger, I thing a Security Six.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
I checked BB's website and they do say those are standard pressure. I carry the +P version of that same load which is rated at 1000 fps from a 2" barrel  :o

I wonder what the original spec was for the .38 Special?
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783