Author Topic: FFL for used guns?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
FFL for used guns?
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
I might have a chance to buy a number of guns from a private owner who inherited them.  This would be a package deal and I would probably sell most of them.  Since there might be 100 guns involved I wonder if this needs someone with an FFL.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: FFL for used guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Only if you'd like to stay out of jail!

If you do buy such read my rules if you plan to sell here. You'll need to become a paid advertiser for such a deal.

I really think you're gonna have a hard time convincing the BATFE you're not a firearms dealer regardless if this comes to their attention.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
you could legaly buy them all without any ffl or batf involvement but selling is another thing. Even if you sold them all for less then you paid for them youd be ok. But sell one gun for a profit and you will be prosecuted if you dont have a dealers licience. Dont think you can for one minute pay a price for all 100 and sell a couple and claim you lost money. The batf will assign a value to that gun and if you sold it for more your SOL and believe me they will make sure to value it low enough that it shows you made a profit. Personaly i wouldnt fool with it. FInd a dealer and make a deal with him for the ones you want and let him deal with the rest.
blue lives matter

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:51:48 AM »
If you stand to make some money, maybe you should file for the FFL.  I mean, if this deal could be profitable it may well be worth doing it.  Don't be scared off because an FFL is required, get an FFL and do some business.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:58 AM »
What is the number of transactions per year that makes it illegal?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:18 AM »
Only if you'd like to stay out of jail!

If you do buy such read my rules if you plan to sell here. You'll need to become a paid advertiser for such a deal.

I really think you're gonna have a hard time convincing the BATFE you're not a firearms dealer regardless if this comes to their attention.

You are all telling me what I thought.  I know a guy with an FFL and will take him in as a partner if I do this.  Sometimes I long for the good old days before the government got involved in everything.  I'm an old fart so I remember when we could order a gun from the Sears catalog.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
What is the number of transactions per year that makes it illegal?

I'm not an expert, but what I've learned from looking into it a little is this.  There isn't a specific number per year.  If you are buying and selling to make a profit, you are doing business and need the license.  That doesn't mean that if you sell a gun out of your collection for more than you paid for it, you broke the law.  It means that if you buy a gun knowing you are going to sell it for a proffit, you need a license.

It's kind of dicey and can easily lead to splitting  hairs.  If you have a real doubt in your mind like maybe you are flirting with the edges of disaster, you can read up on the BATFE web page (surprisingly informative for a .gov web sight) and if you are still having a doubt ask a lawyer.  The cost of making an honest mistake is so big that you really don't want to bet on 'free internet advice' or asking a buddy at a gun store.  Your freedom and fortune could be hosed over what used to be a non issue, so it's worth asking a real lawyer about it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
I know a guy at the local flea market sells some old guns.  I hear he got 18 months.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:14 AM »
My research shows that the only way to do this is through a licensed gun dealer.  Even that could be risky.  I really wonder how much gun crime has been reduced since the BATF was created.

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
My research shows that the only way to do this is through a licensed gun dealer.  Even that could be risky.  I really wonder how much gun crime has been reduced since the BATF was created.

The BATF was caught selling guns to the Mexican drug cartels.  I would say they increased gun crime.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »
one  time  deal

i  say  you are  ok.....but  don't trust  us   contact the  local atf...get it in writing

''engaged in the business'' defined as.....
''REPETITIVE  BUYING  and selling......''

profit   or  not.....is  not an  issue...can't find that in my books

buy the guns if the price is right

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
I agree with 45-70, buy the guns. 
Don't know how many guns you are really (100, really?) talking about.  Keep the ones you want, sell the rest individually, slowly (meaning when you get tired of them), or sell the rest as a package to an FFL dealer.  If you sell to a dealer, expect to get really beat, and I mean BIG time.  After all dealers are in the business of making money.
I bought 6 guns from a friend when her Dad passed, with the intention of keeping 2 shotguns, and selling the other 4.  Guess what?  I ended up keeping all of them.  If your like the rest of us, that will probably be what you end up doing.  You'll eventually end up giving them to your kids or selling one or two, or maybe trading them for a gun you like better.
BTW I am not encouraging you to do anything illegal, if in doubt check the law.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.