Author Topic: Hunting with a suppressed AR15  (Read 881 times)

Offline Deadeye63

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting with a suppressed AR15
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »
Told a friend of mine awhile back I was interested in having a suppressor for a rifle. He got all excited saying silencers are illegal. I let it go and forgot about it until I talked to a local gun dealer and read online that yes they are legal in my state with some paperwork and a $200 fee to BATFE. So I`m thinking Why not? Considering the additional cost`s though I would only want one if it was going to be a "significant" benefit to the hunt. Anyone got any thoughts on it?
If indeed I am made in "God`s" image, Then I am beneath NO MAN regardless of how he is thought of.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Hunting with a suppressed AR15
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:45:59 AM »
Check state laws with your DNR. Where I live it is illegal to hunt with a suppressor.
Molon labe

Offline Deadeye63

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
OK, according to ODFW regs there is no stipulation to the type of weapon used for hunting only that we can use small calibers for hunting fur bearers & predators and only the proper hunting license and tags is required. I was just curious if anyone in other states or even in my own state has (legally of course) used a suppressor while hunting coyotes or any other predator and weather or not they thought it was a benefit to the hunt? I thought when I posted this I would get a lot of responses to it I mean I`m interested surely others are as well and this is the forum for class 3 is it not? By the # of viewers to # of responses I hope I haven`t scared everyone. :o
If indeed I am made in "God`s" image, Then I am beneath NO MAN regardless of how he is thought of.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
A friend just got one for his AR 10.  I actually enjoy hog hunting with him now. . . since it sounds like a .22mag.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »
From my experience, obviously the incapacitation power from the 223 is the bullets velocity and the phonomenon called hydrostatic shock. Reducing the velocity in the 223 may cause you to have an ineffective hunting round for medium game.  If I was going to hunt with a suppressed firearm, I would go with (at least)30 caliber, subsonic, and 180 grain. The penetration and inertia for bullet upset would still be present; you would have a reliable hunting round, and enjoy the benefit of a suppressed round in the form of a subsonic round.  My 2 cents.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:44 AM »
Not so sure it would be a benefit to hunting predators. A suppressed .223 is still pretty loud because the bullet itself is breaking the speed of sound. The other gent covered the killing power of the .223. At any rate they do make sub sonic .223 ammo. I have never shot it, but wouldn't imagine that it would have very much more power than a standard velocity 22lr. The only way I could see it as a benefit is maybe you would not get them skiddish on the next stand a mile or so away. Or possibly high wind would mask the sound enough so the further incoming ones wouldn't associate it with anything more than a distant limb breaking?

While a far stretch from a suppressor. I small game hunt with a 22lr with a 28" barrel. Using subsonic 40 gr bullets the strike of the bullet is louder than the shot. It is quite a bit quieter than a springer pellet rifle. It is very effective as I can usually pick off several squirrels before they figure out something is amiss. I wouldn't want to coyote hunt with a 22, but quiet rounds are effective. I use 60 gr bullets on groundhogs and have been able to get a triple on one lucky day. I also got 2 coons messing around the chicken house one night.

Molon labe