Author Topic: Buffalo Classic followed me home  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Buffalo Classic followed me home
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
I spent Friday and Saturday working a booth at the Outdoor Show/Gun Show this weekend.  Saw a H&R Buffalo classic laying on a table.  Went over Friday afternoon and took a look at it, said NA, left it laying.  I went back a couple of times Friday and looked at it.  Each time I went over I said no I really don't want it.  I wanted a RMEF Commerative, That I had set aside the money for.  Saturday morning it was still there.  As the day went on it kept calling my name, I went over and looked at it several times, but walked away.  I noticed several people pick it up and look at it.  I kept softly saying, "Buy it, buy it," but each time they laid it back on the table and walked away.  Then for a while no one noticed it.  Then just as I was leaving the booth, my relief had arrived, I saw someone pick it up and look at it.  Suddenly I am in a panic, it looks like this person is going to buy it.  I can't fill the person taking over the booth fast enough, I got to get over there.  Sudedenly we have 10 people all wanting to buy raffle tickets at once, more than Ray can handle by himself.  "OH Man, Just forget it, there will be another one".  I sold raffle tickets, and stayed till the rush was over.  One time I looked over there and it was gone, "Oh well, there will be others".  When I finally left the booth, I went back over there to see what else he had.  I mentioned he had sold the Buffalo Classic, since it was no longer there.  The seller commented, "No that guy held it for so long, other people handling the other guns filled the slot it had been in, so I moved it to the end of the table.  There it was, laying at the far end of the table, instead of the middle.  I picked it up and again looked it over.  I opened my wallet and counted out the cash.

As I was counting the cash, my wife walked up.  "Ah, Ha, buying another gun I see".  "I spotted one over on another table I want you to get for our son".  She drug me over to another table where they had a new in the box Springfield Armory 1911 A-1, in .45ACP.  They both fit in the back of my S-10 just fine for the ride home.  Hope nothing else jumps out and strikes me. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Buffalo Classic followed me home
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
Two solid buys. ;)    I want a BC sooooo bad   8)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »
That sounded like a Love Story you might see on the Hallmark Channel ;D

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »
I don't think you'll be doing any 5-600 yd shots with it, but I bet it puts a big ol grin on yer face Rog.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »
That sounded like a Love Story you might see on the Hallmark Channel ;D

LMAO

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
I don't think you'll be doing any 5-600 yd shots with it, but I bet it puts a big ol grin on yer face Rog.  DP

Actually those 500-600 yard shots with the Buffalo Clasic are great, you get to aim and shoot it. put it down on the bench, take a sip of coffee, then look through the spotting scope to see the bullet at it impacts at the target butts, then correct and shoot again...GREAT fun....and a couple of boxes of home rolled ammo can take you all afternoon to shoot....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
I see the makings of a great relationship.... ;D Just stay away from Mac's stout load, it might give you thought to change the stock to something with a thick pad on it. :'(

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
I'll bet the 454 reamer is still sharp and Tim can get it to ya quick

Offline ratdog

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »
your going to love those guns i have both the same thing you got great taste but the 45-70 might be a little over kill on beavers.enjoy

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
Oooh yea, ratdog, you just reminded me.  Time to get out the .223 and the .17HMR.  Beavers will be coming out along the sides of the rivers to get fresh birch and willow shoots. 

But that 45-70 will definately get into the woods this spring and see action.  Black Bear, and possibly a Grizz.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
Sounds like you kinda did like me, got a Trapdoor then right into an H&R! Mine (an UH not BC) seems to digest everything I feed it, hope yours does as well.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline ratdog

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »
i got a marlin 45-70 to bought it years ago thinking i would like to hunt grizz now i'm not in good enough shape to hunt unless it's out my truck window in yellow stone.but i kill a lot of rocks and stumps been shooting the 45-70 since i was 15 63 now. my friends dad converted the old martini rifles over we liked to shoot jacks with them. the buffalo classic out shoots my marlin with lead bullets it will surly put the hurt on a bear my spring field trapdoor is an original 1886 full size rifle no to accurate but some times it surprises me.good luck guys.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:52 AM »
Gee whiz, now you got me thinking about getting a .45-70 barrel.  You are evil, do you know that?   ;D  And where am I going to use a .45-70 in S.E. Ohio?  ::)

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »
I see the makings of a great relationship.... ;D Just stay away from Mac's stout load, it might give you thought to change the stock to something with a thick pad on it. :'(

Thanks, Dinny

I still have a few of MAC's Bruiser Reloads in 45-70.  I have elevated them to the status of "display" cartridges, I shot 2 with an unmodified Handi and that was enough. :o

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »
When you put this sight:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4191.html

...on a BC, you've reached a level of coolness that mankind can't yet fully comprehend.

:D

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »
Unfortunately, for me, the open buckhorn on that comes way too close to my eye to be of any use, though the peep on the staff is similar to the '98 Krag and should be pretty good. IIRC the Buffington sight for the SF '73 was like that too, but both these mentioned rifles had the sight mounted further forward so the open notch still would come to focus.
FWIW, I did use the staff/peep on the Krag to good effect out to 200+yd. A few years ago at a vintage rifle shoot.
Other than the open sight issue I agree it could be good for stretching it out.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
I got to tell ya Sourdough that BC was what got me hooked on handi's.
It's one of my favorite toys now. I love hand loading for that thing.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »

Actually those 500-600 yard shots with the Buffalo Clasic are great, you get to aim and shoot it. put it down on the bench, take a sip of coffee, then look through the spotting scope to see the bullet at it impacts at the target butts, then correct and shoot again...GREAT fun....and a couple of boxes of home rolled ammo can take you all afternoon to shoot....<><....:)

Almost as much fun for the spotter, watching them drop in and smack paper or steel.   :)
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
wow 500-600 yds.- I have 2 45/70 ;one is a BC. How many clouds high do you have to holdover for a 600 yd. shot?? :)

Offline ratdog

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
you need one of those 45-70  derringers in seen years ago i na pawn shop for back up second shot rog.really its true they use to make them.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
try that 45-70 on a caribou i went to alaska 3 years ago man those caribou hot dogs are tasty.one of the best trips of my life wonderful country your a lucky man enjoy.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:45 AM »
I've got lots of guns with different purposes.....the BC is just for fun... ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)