Author Topic: Mea Culpa  (Read 642 times)

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Mea Culpa
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
OK - It's confession time!  I sold a few parted out handi's before I read the rules completely re: "for profit".  I understand the purpose and the fact that the site is not mine so I either play by the rules or as Graybeard has said before, "go somewhere where there aren't any rules."   ;)  I am NOT complaining, just "splainin" (like Lucy).  Part of the fun for me is finding the guns (almost always NIB) for a bargain price then selling parts because so many on here seem to only need a specific item to complete their own custom project.  Plus, I don't want the hassle of mailing a complete firearm, even through my FFL.  For me, vacation is the journey and not so much the destination.  I quickly lose interest in something I might  have just bought and turn around and sell it and saw this as providing a service to other handi-owners just as much as the factory.  Gee, how cheap do you have to buy a NIB gun in order to "profit" from selling the parts for a total of $250-275 PLUS pay to ship the parts individually to the buyer?? ???  There have been times when I did not break even but it was still fun, but there have been a few times when I made $35-40.  The minimum cost for a center-fire barrel from H&R is $160  by the time you pay postage both ways and then have the down time!!  It was never my intention to "make money".  My wife and I are both retired and doing fairly well so it isn't about money.  I believe that the man who is truly rich is not necessarily the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.   ;D  Thanks be to God, I no longer need much to keep me fat and happy!  Anything that I may advertise from now on to sale or trade, I promise will be something bought for my own use and no longer needed.  I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement here in Texas and now pastor a small church and do NOT want to be the guilty party that causes problems for anyone! 

OK...I got that said!  Whew! 

Note: Tim and Bill - really, this is a confession NOT a complaint!! :-[   

Food is God's love made edible!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Mea Culpa
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
Pastor,

You have a lot of company.  I have done the same, bought a gun just to get a receiver or stock set and then moved the rest of the stuff here at GBO.  I may have made a nickel and I may not have made any money, I didn't keep track.  When I sold something I researched the classifieds for the previous sell prices and set my price accordingly.  My guess is I might be break even on all my trades, but I doubt it.  I too have reread the rules and intend to comply with them so basically I will probably not be listing any more items for sale.   

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
I've done business with you more than once and no complaints from me.  Got exactly what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
No harm, no foul, I can't see anyone becoming rich buying and selling Handis, but more than likley just supporting the addiction, I know several members buy complete rifles just to get the part(s) they need and sell the remaining parts they don't want, done that myself a time or three!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
I too have been guilty of that, but I never made any money at it.  I just moved stuff around to get what I needed.  I like keeping 3 or 4 SB2 frames around and that's what I target.  I also look for old or unusual stuff, or perhaps a barrel I don't have.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
I too have been guilty of that, but I never made any money at it.  I just moved stuff around to get what I needed.  I like keeping 3 or 4 SB2 frames around and that's what I target.  I also look for old or unusual stuff, or perhaps a barrel I don't have.

Pete
No harm, no foul, I can't see anyone becoming rich buying and selling Handis, but more than likely just supporting the addiction, I know several members buy complete rifles just to get the part(s) they need and sell the remaining parts they don't want, done that myself a time or three!  ;D

Tim
Pastor,

You have a lot of company.  I have done the same, bought a gun just to get a receiver or stock set and then moved the rest of the stuff here at GBO.  I may have made a nickel and I may not have made any money, I didn't keep track.  When I sold something I researched the classifieds for the previous sell prices and set my price accordingly.  My guess is I might be break even on all my trades, but I doubt it.  I too have reread the rules and intend to comply with them so basically I will probably not be listing any more items for sale.   

BB

Confessional time huh......

Same here....  :-[ I too have done this. But it was not to turn a profit. I found a complete gun at a good price. But only needed a receiver or a stock and sold off the rest. Heck with dealers charging $40-50 for each set of paperwork to sell a 100$ receiver is a bit rough to swallow... I didn't and never would, knowingly cheat anyone.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
I subscribe to the reasonable man theory, that is, a reasonable man will act reasonably.
Now that we have had the wake up call, and encouragement to check our motives, I think we will do fine.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
I haven't done it with Handis but I did do it with a T/C.

To make a long story short, last year I went through an awful divorce. My ex-wife stole my identity and used it to take out credit cards in my name then maxed them out and let them go to collections. In order to pay for some of the mess she created I had to sell all my Handis on the classifieds here last year.

Before I paid any bills off I had cash in hand from selling my Handis when I saw an ad in a local paper for a crazy good deal on a G2 Contender with 3 barrels, extra stocks and 2 Leupold scopes. Thanks to the Graybeard classifieds, when it was all said and done I ended up with all my money back from my Handi sales to pay my bills plus a G2 with a 10" 45 Colt barrel that I used for deer hunting last season.

I will certainly respect whatever Graybeard wants for classified rules now but I just wanted to share that story because the classifieds here helped me through a tough time by getting money to pay some bills courtesy of the ex-wife and getting a gun for hunting that I could have never afforded while going through a divorce and trying to clear my credit.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
DB,

Sorry you had to move your Handis.  Did your G2 put some meat in the freezer?  Hope all is on the up swing for you.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
BB,

Unfortunately I didn't get to put any meat in the freezer. Some hikers pushed a deer right to me but I was moving through thick hemlocks at the time so I didn't have a clean shot.

All is well here, thanks for asking. The court granted me custody of my three kids (I know, very rare for a man) which was all I really cared about. I've since cleared most of my credit problems so I'm just about ready to apply for a mortgage so my kids can have a stable house to live in. I met a wonderful woman who likes to go shooting with me. I bought her a .410 Pardner and she plans to take her hunter's safety class so we can hunt together this year. Life is good  :)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783