Author Topic: Handi Handguns  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Farrier Matt

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi Handguns
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:38 AM »
Why no Handis in a pistol version, like a Contender? Just curious if anyone has ever tried this, or if their ia a reason why its not done? Seems a simple conversion, provided a FFL license of course, and would make a little more affordable version of TCs Contender and Encore.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Handi Handguns
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
Frankly, It would require special, COSTLY licencing and that alone makes it prohibitive.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:26 AM »
what  if a distributor  just sold  frames
if  he could get h&r to sell just the frame
that were never classified as  long gun  or hand gun
then  they can be made a handgun

like  a t/c  or an  AR  frame

also  just spend your $200...and you can have a shoulder stock
and what ever barrel length you want.....including  shot guns
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
Guess I just am curious as to how TCs can be changed from handgun to rifle platforms, but Handis cant. I see pistol grips for shotguns are made for handis, why not pistol barrels as well?

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
gun has to be 26.5" overall length if originally classified as a rifle.  That can be done with a pistol grip and a long barrel.  A pistol can be turned into a rifle (with at least a 16" barrel) and back again but a rifle cannot be turned into a pistol without dire consequences.  trotterlg did take a muzzleloader frame and make a rifle cartridge pistol out of it as a muzzleloader was never classified as either a rifle or a pistol.  It is a major liability but I think they would fly off the shelves if they did it right.  Get on it Remington.  I wonder if they already have the license since they are making that 1911 now. 

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »
Guess I just am curious as to how TCs can be changed from handgun to rifle platforms, but Handis cant. I see pistol grips for shotguns are made for handis, why not pistol barrels as well?

I'm not surprised, it is confusing.
 But T/C are sold and manufactured as both rifles and Pistols. It was a topic of MUCH conversation years ago. For a time T/C was required to print requirements of a rifle stock and a pistol barrel on the butt's. It basically boils down to the H&R are only LONG GUNS. As long guns are restricted under BATF regulations. A RIFLED barrel from a rifle needs to be at least 16". (Most all people hedge that to 16.5 for safety sake) From a smooth bore or shotgun that barrel length goes to 18". (Again most hedge that to 18.5") Then you have a minimum overall length requirement of 26" as well.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Matt, I wasnt sure about the legalitys of it all. Seems it would make a very versatile weapon, even Handier. Maybe one day itll happen, who knows? Take care.
Matt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
Trotterlg did take a muzzleloader frame and make a rifle cartridge pistol out of it as a muzzleloader was never classified as either a rifle or a pistol. 
Matt

The difference there Matt is a muzzleloader is NOT classified as a firearm. It does not have the BATF regulations or need the BATF paperwork as a firearm does. That's how you are able to purchase them online thru online retailers like Gander and Cabelas.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Trotterlg did take a muzzleloader frame and make a rifle cartridge pistol out of it as a muzzleloader was never classified as either a rifle or a pistol. 
Matt

The difference there Matt is a muzzleloader is NOT classified as a firearm. It does not have the BATF regulations or need the BATF paperwork as a firearm does. That's how you are able to purchase them online thru online retailers like Gander and Cabelas.

CW

Yeah, thats what I meant by saying that it was never classified as either a rifle or a pistol.  Prolly should have said it isn't classified as a firearm at all and by making it a centerfire pistol it is just as though it was made from raw materials and perfectly legal. 

Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
don't forget the  mare's leg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare's_Leg
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
I have been looking at that mare's leg ever since Rossi came out with theirs.  I just keep trying to justify it.  What in the world would it be good for...

Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
I remember seeing a picture of a Handi converted to a handgun in a gun rag years ago. The frame was bent down just behind the receiver, like the rolling block pistols.

Personally, I hope no one ever converts Handi's into pistol frames, so none of those pesky handgun/rifle legalities get attached to our Handi rifles.
Besides, there's barely enough of a market to support T/C in the single shot combo gun class.

I have been looking at that mare's leg ever since Rossi came out with theirs.  I just keep trying to justify it.  What in the world would it be good for...

Not big enough to be shot like a rifle, lousy ergonomics for a handgun.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »
  I think it would be great if they made a Handi pistol.  They could make a receiver with a different rear end.  One that attached to a pistol grip.  It would be a nice long range pistol with a 10" or 12" barrel.

I agree about the Mare's leg.  It looks like a 'want it' toy, but when I think about it in any detail the fact that it's a lousy hand gun and not a rifle makes it kind of pointless.  It would be really cool with a $200 tax stamp made into a sort of 'steam punk' SBR.  As it is it's just a toy.  A cool toy, but a toy none the less.  The same money would buy a respectable revolver in the same cartridge selection or a lever action carbine, again in the same cartridge selection.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

Matt

the reason  i got  mine
was to keep from wanting  one
yes it  is about my most useless gun
mine  is  44 mag....might just get  another in  357
so i can quit wanting  one in 357

Offline hillbill

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
heck if yu want it and can afford it, get it. thats what i do.the mares leg would be good for nuttin. but if i had one i guess id prob shoot a deer with it.just to say i had done it.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Someone, it might have been GB posted an ATF bulletin some months ago dealing with TC's.  It seems that if you convert a pistol to a rifle, it is technically illegal to change it back...but I may have forgotten what I though I knew.................. :o

Not too long ago, a policeman in Ala. on duty and using a department weapon, shot someone.  It was an AR platform of some type.  While he was ok with dept. regs. the FED's cited him for using a "short barrel rifle".........

The law is what they want to make it at the time.  I'll just stick with my long guns.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
As far as changing it back to a pistol...As long as it was sold as a pistol to begin with and you use a rifle barrel when it is a rifle, I believe you can change it back and forth as much as you want.  I do not know for sure but I don't know why in the world they would make them interchangeable if it was illegal to change them back?

Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
mechanic is right, here it is: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,184325.0.html

The Contender guys are quite familiar with this absurdity.  Like many other gun laws, trying to apply logic will only get you in trouble.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »
I think that in our enthusiasm for this topic we are overlooking one point. Aside from legalities the handi frame is HUGE compared to a T/C and would make a very heavy and awkward pistol. Many years back H&R did build a .410 pistol but it was on a frame sized for the .410 shell, about half as wide as current  H&R frames. No doubt H&R or Rossi could tool up for a new frame and legally build pistols on it, could if they wanted to, as could Ruger, S&W, Remington or any other.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
I only raised the question as I am interested in handgun hunting. I shot a couple squirrels with a single six last fall, and would like to try for a deer this year. It seemed to make sense to me that a pistol with a different barrels, maybe 22 and 44 mag, could be used for small and large game, and feel about the same when it was being used. I was curious as to wether a handi could be altered into a pistol platform, but that question has been answered, and I will now stick to my single action Rugers. Seems a shame to me that such a versatile platform as the Handi cant be fully taken advantage of, but I guess thats the country we live in.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
FM you sound like a good candidate for a Contender enthusiast!  I guarantee they are every bit as versitile and as addicting as a Handy.  I have four Contender frames, about 15 pistol barrels and two carbine barrels.  When the right deal comes along, I'll have more I can guarantee.  ADDICTING
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Antietamgw

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 05:44:41 PM »
FM you sound like a good candidate for a Contender enthusiast!  I guarantee they are every bit as versitile and as addicting as a Handy.  I have four Contender frames, about 15 pistol barrels and two carbine barrels.  When the right deal comes along, I'll have more I can guarantee.  ADDICTING

Curtis,
Agreed on the Contender - I have a bunch of carbine barrels and two pistol barrels.... I was never that good in the field with the Contender in pistol setup. Adding the extra pound of steel and wood to make it a carbine worked better for me. Doesn't change the concept. These break open single shots are versatile and addictive.
Keep your plow share and your sword - know how and when to use them.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Rossi has already done it with the wizard pistol. if they can do it along with freedom arms and T/C. H&R is just choosing to not make one.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
First of those Ive seen. What do they run and what calibers are offerd?