Author Topic: Homemade gas checks out of cans?  (Read 928 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Homemade gas checks out of cans?
« on: December 27, 2003, 09:14:20 PM »
Saw this at some of the other boards and I listed the question my self. If this is possible is it safe for the bore and do they work? I have a friend who claims he has the punches to make these. I have more time than money that is why I cast in the first place just wondering if these gas checks work and if they are ok on the barrel. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 05:40:48 AM »
I don't have one myself but watched the development of the tool with great interest until....I found out how much the tool cost.

They were made/distributed by The Hanned Line and they're now belly up so I haven't got a clue where to get one now.

Of course, you could always try to make one yourself.

Ka6otm

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 06:30:10 AM »
Dennis Smith formerly the CEO and I think owner of The Hanned Line an advertiser on this site still has some of these left over I believe. The equipment is called Freechec MKII and is priced at $130 and is available in 30, 9mm/357/358, .44, ..45 Pistol, .45 Rifle, .41. Contact info for Dennis is as follows:

Dennis A. Smith
4463 Madoc Way
San Jose, CA 95130

408-370-6420

Dennis pays the shipping on these at this price.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline FAsmus

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 12:28:36 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have used the "Freecheck" tools to produce my own gas checks.

I didn't like beverage can material as it was too thin and brittle. I went to the local custom printing store and bought some off-set printing material, made of 0.006 dead-soft aliminum.

This worked much better, conforming to the bullet bases and performing the gascheck duties very well.

On the other hand it took a long time to make checks and I couldn't see any real advantage of spending the time hammering them out when I'd rather be out of the firing line anyway.

Good evening,
Forrest

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Gas Checks made from aluminum cans
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 04:39:40 AM »
Fellas:  this is not a new technology.  A buncha years ago something similar popped up as an inexpensive means to make your own gaschecks from empty beer or soada cans.  Some folks described a problem using that material as being too soft, leaving serious aluminum deposits in the barrels of the firearms shot with the gas-checks.  I wish I could be more specific but that's all I recall.  

Also, somebody else had problems with bullets that had aluminum jackets - either the jackets came apart too easily or fouled the barrels to badly to allow continued use.  Sorry, but I hope this helps.    Mikey.