Author Topic: Can't find FG  (Read 595 times)

Offline dittles

• Trade Count: (0)
Can't find FG
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
 Well to start, I'm new at this. I just got a golf ball cannon and I can't find FG with out having to order 5 pounds at a time. Places where I can order only 1 or 2 pounds at a time, OUT OF STOCK! My local gun shop only carries FF, and FFF ( plus they only order B.P. twice a year).  So what I have read is that some people say no to FFG while others seem to use it in mortars. Can I use FFG in my cannon (pushing a golf ball) with a lighter load and still be safe? Powder chamber is 1"x3" and barrel is 11".  And if I can get by with FFG, what loads would you recommend?

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Can't find FG
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Dittles...your gonna like it here! Lots of great info, and great guys...you will get your question answered, and don't forget to look in the "stickies" at the top of the page...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
Welcome aboard, dittles!
I'm emending my original post, because I misread your opening post; I thought you were asking about loads for a golfball mortar, not a cannon (I think my faculties are dimming :o).
What metal is your howitzer made out of, and what is the outside diameter of the barrel at the breech? Can you post a photo of your cannon?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »
Get the five pounds, it won't last long...If you use FFg start ridiculously low and work up.  Use the load computation information we have in the safe loads stick called safe loads.  I think youy will find your maximum load on the graph.  That is you maximum, load.  Reduce it by 75% to start, then work up by five grains at a time until you find the load that works best for your gun...You will be surprised what a difference five grains of powder will make.

Offline dittles

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:23 AM »
 The barrel  Dia. is 3.5", 1.73"x11.75". I purchased it from Ed. I do like it! I have plenty of FF on hand (for my smoke poles). I wouldn't mind purchasing 5 pounds of F on line but dang the hazmat charges!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 05:49:56 AM »
Go to the  Powder inc website and order the power, Shipping and haz mat is inclujded ikn the price.  Where in the U.S. are you? You might be surprised how close you are to a powder distributor.

If Ed made your cannon then it is made right.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
You can use FFg while you wait for your Fg . Start with 100 grs. Work up gradually .  Use Golf Balls ONLY . That Parrot will handle it . Ed

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
dittles,

If I'd known 'armorer77' was the maker, I would have just left my first post with the OK for using FFg as it was, even though I wrongly thought you were asking about a mortar (he manufactures a sturdy product). ;D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dittles

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
Thanks guys for the info. I did go to Powder Inc and ordered 5 pounds of Fg. I like how they have the shipping and haz included in the price. Ed, I don't know if I can wait for the Fg to show so I might have to feed her some FFg for now. I haven't fired her yet, finishing up my carriage, but I find myself already wanting a mortar!

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
Clamp it to a saw horse if you must , but light her up . ;D  Ed

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
I found that Powder Inc's price with the hazmat fee is less than the local retail gun store price .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 03:58:46 AM »
 I don't know if I can wait for ...

...I find myself already wanting ...

dittles --

WELCOME to the additction!  We're all too glad to help!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)