Author Topic: RCBS Ammomaster Progressive (used) : review  (Read 2322 times)

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
RCBS Ammomaster Progressive (used) : review
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
About 5 or 6 weeks ago there was a discussion on this board regarding progressive presses and at the time I stated that I had “gone cheap” and purchased a used RCBS Ammomaster Progressive press – I was asked to provide a report, so here it is:

The Ammomaster Progressive is a 5 station progressive and was the pre-cursor to the RCBS Pro 2000. It uses tube fed primers and auto-dispensing powder measure.  The press has a long throat that can accommodate all common rifle and pistol cartridges (except .50BMG).  The long throw of the handle and stroke of the ram make case sizing a breeze and I suspect that it would be easy to reform wildcat brass because of the leverage.  The press can be operated in auto-indexing mode or in manual indexing mode. A “star” type wheel was included to make advancement of the shell plate easier (very similar to the Dillon 550).  The powder measure is operated via a rod that connects to the ram. The primer assembly works on a sliding plate and is activated by a guide rod as the press is cycled. The press is massive as compared to my single stage Lee press.  For me, finding room for it in my reloading area was a challenge.
When the press arrived I noticed that it was missing a few small components and a call to RCBS remedied the problem.  I cleaned everything and made sure that the press was adjusted correctly using a copy of the owner manual that I downloaded from the RCBS website. My first attempt at reloading cartridges was a train wreck.  I had spilled powder everywhere, primers were not seating or at times getting picked up by the primer slide – I was really frustrated.  The powder measure is designed to dispense powder when a case is present but as mentioned above, it’s operated via the ram, not by a case – I found that when tinkering with the primer problem with a single case the powder measure would dump powder down on the shell plate.  Spilled powder was my nemesis as it gets built up under the shell plate and trapped by the primer system causing more problems.  I finally removed the shell plate and primer rod and found a small bulge on the tip of the rod (probably from being miss-used by the previous owner).  A hand file quickly fixed the bulge and another call to RCBS for more springs, pins, etc. got me going again.  I went step by step through the manual to adjust the primer system and the press now functions really well.

I’ve now loaded about 1800 rounds on the press in various pistol cartridges (357/38, .40, .45acp) and here is what I have found:
-The press requires some tinkering after caliber changes which take about 20 minutes now that I know what I’m doing. (the HornadyL-N-L with bushings would make changeover a snap – as would the removable heads on the Dillon 550 or RCBS Pro 2000).
-A case activated powder measure would reduce powder spills and would require less observation during set-up. (I’ve learned to make sure the rod was not set to dispense).
- I have to watch the primer system closely – it’s easy for the primer slide to bind and not pick up a primer – or, having the tube run empty and having to pull a case from the press. Having extra primer tubs full and ready to go would make things easier.
-Using a “powder cop” eliminates the need to visually check for powder in a case. This is great provided that I am using a 3-die set. Since I use a 4-die set (I like the Lee taper crimp die) it requires that I have to verify powder in each case before placing a bullet.
- Ball powders dispense accurately and I have had no issues with bridging in the dispenser.
-I can reload 200 or so rounds per hour at a leisurely rate. Reloading 300 an hour requires a faster work pace and a lot more attention.  Components go fast and I had to weigh 50 of my last reloads because I allowed the powder measure to go empty – only 1 was light (idiot). The length of stroke certainly reduces the speed of the press – although that’s not a big deal for me.
- I set the press up at a comfortable height of 43” allowing me to stand without stooping. I mounted it to a homemade stand that allows me to move it around in my cramped space.
- RCBS Customer Service is the best I have experienced – helpful, friendly, and all parts were shipped same day and free of charge!
- This press will make very good ammo!
-The press came with a set of RCBS 9mm dies (a set I didn’t have) and 5 shell plates. I had to purchase a shell plate for .40 S&W, plus the materials to construct the stand. My total investment at this point is $280 – less than half the cost of a Hornady L-n-L w/ shell plates (plus my Lee dies are too short for the L-n-L press). A Dillon 550 or RCBS Pro 2000 with shell plates and die heads would easily cost more than three times my total investment.  I can live with a slower press (I don’t need to make 500 an hour), the think is built like a brick, and I saved a fist full of cash.  I’m pretty happy!

Blessings,

Paul

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: RCBS Ammomaster Progressive (used) : review
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
It works really good. I had one and I got everything to convert to a SS as well. If I had it to do over I would not have sold it. I used my Lee autodisk powder measure. Much better than that rube goldberg set up for the uniflow.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: RCBS Ammomaster Progressive (used) : review
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
I have one of these too!!

I use it as a progressive until I bit the bullet and bought a Dillion 550.... The Ammo master, as a single stage, is on the left and the Dillion is on the right...

Enjoy yours!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.