Author Topic: Length of Pull  (Read 1034 times)

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
Length of Pull
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
Could somebody give me L.O.P. measurement comparison between a youth stock and an adult stock (non monte-carlo pallet wood)? Thanks in advance.

Kerry

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Length of Pull
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:46 AM »
H&R says 14¼" and 11¾", although I don't have pallet wood youth stocks, the synthetic youths are within ¼" of those specs, right at 12".

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/Youth.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
I have a pallet wood youth and it measures 12.5".

Cat

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
Thanks Tim, and Cat..

Just so I'm clear, I'm referring to the distance from the center of the butt to the trigger as LOP. That measurement for my adult PW stocks are 14.25" to 14.5" - so the youth stock is 2" less...? I didn't think there was that much difference. I was kinda hoping it would be about 13.5" LOP for a youth stock.

I guess I'm gonna havta shorten an adult stock... or get a youth stock and put on a recoil pad  :-\ :P
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
Youth stock with factory recoil pad installed on NP frame.  12.5 in center of trigger to rear center of recoil pad.  Measured.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
Thanks Tim, and Cat..

Just so I'm clear, I'm referring to the distance from the center of the butt to the trigger as LOP. That measurement for my adult PW stocks are 14.25" to 14.5" - so the youth stock is 2" less...? I didn't think there was that much difference. I was kinda hoping it would be about 13.5" LOP for a youth stock.

I guess I'm gonna havta shorten an adult stock... or get a youth stock and put on a recoil pad  :-\ :P

Small slip-on Limbsavers work great and take up that 1" difference.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
I always have to cut mine to 13", although I can work fine with 13 1/2".  The standard length feels very akward to me.  Sometimes I can get by fine by taking the recoil pad off an adult stock and installing the old plastic butt plate.  I don't know why, I am 5'9" and of 'normal' build, (well, normal for a guy in his 60's) but I have always preferred a gun with a shorter length of pull.  In the old days, many people used to just add a recoil pad onto the stock without cutting the wood, boy those sure made for a loooooooong pull!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
I was not comfortable with the H&R LOP on recoil pad stocks until I put them on the longer barreled models, got to be a balance thing for me.
IIRC the fine old Springfield '03 had a LOP of about 12 7/8"! Sure feels short to me now.....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
44 Man - I'm pretty much the same dimensions as you, 5'9" (normal 60's build - i.e about 8 lbs over what I want to be) and I have always preferred shorter LOP too. My survivor stocks are okay at 13.5 as are my lever guns (Rossi Mod 92, and Henry 001T) both at 13.5.

And like you, the standard length H&R stocks feel awkward to me. I have lucked out on a couple of stocks that somebody else appears to have cut back a bit, so my .357 Handy Gun II and a 30/30 Topper seem to have more comfortable stocks.

Oh well, this is all part of being a handiholic.  ;)
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Bill3006

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
You guys have company. From Jack O'Connor's "Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns", 1965 edition: "The man of average height (5'8" then) will do pretty well with a pull of about 13-1/4 inches and a short man or the average woman with about 13." O'Connor was a bit over 6 feet with a 34 inch sleeve and liked a pull length of 13-1/2 or 13-5/8 on a rifle. For a shotgun, he recommended a length of pull 1/2 to 1 inch greater. Of course, these were for conventional stocks of that era, not thumbholes and that type.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
Yep, that's measured from butt plate to trigger face.  At least on mine.

Cat

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
A lot is what you are used too.
IIRC modern trap stocks are 14 1/4 or more and scores have gone up. It is said that people can accomodate shorter stocks more easily than long ones, and not have to be concerned with the clothing thickness in changing weather.
I've become used to the longer now and the short ones really feel short.
Dance with who ya brung and shoot center!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:09 AM »
 I'm 5'7 an broad in the shoulder, short armed with meat on'm. There's darn few factory guns I DON'T need too cut. So many that I finally broke down an bought one of them belt/disc sander combo things a few years ago.

The 14 an 14+ on some of these handis is WAY big for me, an the 11 1/2 on the youth was too short for the boy even years back (he's growed now) 12 1/2 was just about perfect. Traded it off on the Classifieds to a Gent looking for something for his boys
 Current project is going to be furbing a MonteCarlo down too 13 with a padded butt plate. I'll hafta move that drop at the back for the butt plate forward a bit too keep the lines of the Monte, but it'll still have the higher cheek where my cheek actually is. The pita will be needing to strip, sand an stain the entire butt stock an forearm too match.

Point is, getting the stock to where it's comfortable and funtional has always been important to me. I'd rather spend the time and money to get the stock adapted too me, instead of me adapting to the stock. ALL my guns fit me, very nearly the same. I have spent many years now developing/guideing my boy into being a decent shooter, the "fit" has been a big part of that.
found elsewhere

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:45:10 AM »
I never understood why almost all stocks have the same lop. Guys 6'5" is ok, but the youth kids really have to look for a true youth gun. My kid was 4'4" when he was 12. The only gun that fit was an H&R superlight with 11 3/4"  lop. Every company should offer a youth gun with shorter stock and youth barrel length for kids. All I ever hear is get them into hunting but few guns to shoot with comfort.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
I'm 5' 7" wear an extra large too.  I really like the shorter pulls, like nothing over 13.  Twelve or twelve and a half is better.

My 45-70 is at the stockmaker right now.  He's fitting wood to the butt and two forearms, one for the shorty and a longer one for the 32"er.  He's picked out some lovely walnut and is shaping it just the way I like it.  Can't hardy wait.

He has an old 410 H&R that he turned into a .219 Zipper with custom wood.  Oh my.  Weighs about 4 pounds and just takes my breath away it is so stunning.

Cat

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »
I'm wanting to have mine cut down. Any videos out there to show how to do it? I probably do not have the right tools anyway and would feel better to have a gunsmith do it. Anything I should look for in a smith or it that a common job for any smith?

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm wanting to have mine cut down. Any videos out there to show how to do it? I probably do not have the right tools anyway and would feel better to have a gunsmith do it. Anything I should look for in a smith or it that a common job for any smith?

Thanks!!

Search engines are your friend!!  ;)

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l76JER3dY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4YeXEN5FI
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
Some people shouldn't have tools.......we've all seen what can, and does happen.
Hand tools make mistakes a lot slower than power tools.
If you doubt your skill sets, don't do it, only past experience and a real personal appraisal of the results will tell you if you might entertain the exercise.
That said, what's the worst that can happen?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
Great links. Makes it look easy...which I know it probably isn't.

Good point. Might check into having it done by a professional.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist