Author Topic: Resizing bullets with gas checks  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Resizing bullets with gas checks
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
I have some .30 cal bullets which I had ordered from a bullet caster roughly a year ago.  My issue is the sizing of the bullets vs. the bore diameters of each barrel from which they'll be fired.  As a general rule of thumb, I have learned that one should size a cast bullet at least .001" larger than the bore diameter for best shooting results.  In my case, both barrels slug at .309" in the grooves.  The bullets that I intend to load measure roughly .3095 to .310 on the cast portion of the bullet but the gas checks measure slightly over .311.  I have a sizing die that sizes bullets to .309 and I'm not sure if I should use it on these bullets or not. 

Here is my question:  Do I fire the bullets (provided they chamber once loaded) despite the larger sized gas checks?  OR Do I resize these bullets in my .309 sizer in order to resize the gas check? 
For that matter:  When shooting with gas checks, does one load the same size diameter or does the ".001 inch over the barrel diamter apply as so with un gas checked cast bullets?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Resizing bullets with gas checks
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:36 AM »
they will be fine as is.
blue lives matter

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 02:52:28 AM »
They will be fine,gas checked bullets should be sized the same as you would if you were shooting a plane base bullet.  An undersized gas check bullet want keep you from getting leading if the hot gasses leak around the gas check and cause gas cutting and burn the lube off.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies thus far.  I guess my main reason for asking this question is two-fold and it was late last night when I wrote the original question.

First, with gas checks being larger than the bullets themselves, doesn't it seem likely that the gas checks might be pulled from the backs of bullets as they are run up into the throats of the chambers and begin dragging against the lands of the bore?
Secondly, one of the firearms in which I intend to use with these bullets is a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine.  I envision the bullets and/or gas checks obturating a bit and squeezing through the chamber mouth.  If the gas checks are not pulled from the bullets or loosened at this time, it surely seems likely once they are squeezed back down to size in the force cone.  Basically, in this case, it seems even more likely that the larger sized gas checks might pull from the bullets when firing across the cylinder gap.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:54 AM »
i think your bullits are fine when you size and lube lead bullits the gas checks are put on first
then you run it through the sizing die to size and lube them
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
i think your bullits are fine when you size and lube lead bullits the gas checks are put on first
then you run it through the sizing die to size and lube them

I bought the bullets this way.  The cast portion is .3095 to .310 but the gas checks are larger.  My guess is that the bullets dropped from the mould at the size they are and then were run through a sizer at .311 when lubed and gas checked.  ???

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
You don't have to worry about the gas checks being "pulled" from the bullets.  The pressure is behind the check, and it's pushing the bullet.  You may notice a slight bulge in the case where the check is located after seating the bullet.  This, also, is a non-problem as long as the round chambers alright.
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
You don't have to worry about the gas checks being "pulled" from the bullets.  The pressure is behind the check, and it's pushing the bullet.  You may notice a slight bulge in the case where the check is located after seating the bullet.  This, also, is a non-problem as long as the round chambers alright.

Good point.  I think I'll try em both ways; resized to .309 and the way they are and see which work best, provided the rounds chamber correctly.

Thanks!

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
I apply my gas checks with the Lee .311 push through sizer for my 30-30 and 300 Sav. loads and I use the .314 sizer for my 7.62 x 39 and 54r cast bullet.  All three of the Lee molds drop the bullets about .001 larger than the mold denotes but the gas checks always run about .001 larger than the bearing surface of the bullets once applied.   

If it's having any adverse affect on the bullets accuracy I certainty can't tell it with the groups I've gotten.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
I apply my gas checks with the Lee .311 push through sizer for my 30-30 and 300 Sav. loads and I use the .314 sizer for my 7.62 x 39 and 54r cast bullet.  All three of the Lee molds drop the bullets about .001 larger than the mold denotes but the gas checks always run about .001 larger than the bearing surface of the bullets once applied.   

If it's having any adverse affect on the bullets accuracy I certainty can't tell it with the groups I've gotten.
Res45,
The fact that your gas checks run larger after sizing is good to hear.  Now I know there is nothing odd or funny going on with my bullets.  Ironically, I was considering loading some of these in my 30-30 as well.  Maybe I'll just leave em as is and shoot em.
Thanks for that additional info!

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »
If for some reasons you end up ever needing to enlarge a LEE sizer say from a .309 to a .310 it's pretty easy to do yourself.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/How%20to%20Hone%20a%20Size%20Die.pdf
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
If for some reasons you end up ever needing to enlarge a LEE sizer say from a .309 to a .310 it's pretty easy to do yourself.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/How%20to%20Hone%20a%20Size%20Die.pdf

Hey, that's great info!  I bought my Lee .309 sizer before I had slugged my barrels, plus at the time it was very cheap anyway.  Had I slugged my barrels earlier, I would have purchased the .310.  I just might open it up a little.  Thanks for the instructions on how to do so.