Author Topic: Hornady 55 gr. .223 rem factory powder  (Read 1287 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Hornady 55 gr. .223 rem factory powder
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
I pulled a bullet from a 55 gr hornady factory round and it has a powder that looks a lot like ball powder (It is the tinyest extruded I have ever seen although I am new to .223 loading), it is extruded and looks like little rectangles (almost square) but when you stand it on end it is cylindrical. Has anyone pulled a Hornady factory round and have a good idea as to whats inside? The charge wt was 24.5 with a 55 gr bullet, but before I go buy 6 different pounds I was hoping to have a better idea as to which it may be. 
I was hoping to get a few answers that might match before I go buy it, but would cross reference off the powder MFG website before loading anything.  I have used 3031 and it is way smaller diameter and way shorter cut.... I read somewhere on the web about some new powders that are super short cut, I think it has to be one but like I said I am new to loading for the little calibers so this powder may not be as new as I think. It has a slight gold hugh to it, and since the new ammo is only 4 months old, I don't think it is old powder.
PLEASE don't just send me your favorite load, sometimes that is what I am asking but this time I am asking just about whats in the Hornady factory loads for the 55 gr soft point.
Thanks, thejanitor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Hornady 55 gr. .223 rem factory powder
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »
Ammo makers like Hornady DO NOT use the same powders you can buy to reload your ammo with so you might as well forget that plan. They do not use cannister powders. Now the powder they use "might" or might not be similar but it's definitely NOT the same.

Just look at the load manuals and select some loads to try and forget trying to duplicate what big ammo makers do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:12:06 AM »
I have had great success using H335 with the .223 Rem.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »
Thanks guys! thejanitor

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
I agree with Graybeard, never try to match powder by looks.

I have successfully used IMR-3031 with Remington soft point 55 grain and H-4895 with Hornady soft point and Nosler Partition 60 grain bullets producing excellent accuracy.

I also have some H-4198 I will try with 50 grain soft points.

yooper77

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:22:41 AM »
Haven't pulled apart any Hornady, but I pulled a Winchester Supreme.
 The powder in that was a blend, plainly seen flake and ball together. So the darn companies use a "prioritized" blend or type of powder and they won't let us know. Heck, I they did they'd go out of business.

I'm satisfied knowing the stuff I load is more accurate anyways,, ;D
found elsewhere

Offline iiranger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
BEWARE!!! Re: Hornady 55 gr. .223 rem factory powder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:38:45 AM »
As said, DON'T!  Very, very bad, UNSAFE, idea.

Col. Nonte went over this in one of his  books. The powder maker has no EXACT idea what will come out when they start making powder. They load the machine and turn it on and have to "see." Yes, they will know if it is ball or stick or small stick like 4227 vs large stick like 4831, etc. In European ammo I have found flakes that looked like they were cut from a flat sheet and the legendary cordite from Britain, yes, looks like spaghetti,  BUT then they take some into the lab and test it/burn it. IF it is near a "canister grade rate" that is packaged and sold to the public in 1 lb cans 8 lb jugs, etc. then they set is aside and when they need more canister grade, they blend and coat what they have to come close to the canister standard. This you can buy. And you are advised to cut back hot loads and work up with each new container of powder...

On the other hand the ammo makers who load a couple million rounds a month buy drums of the "mill run" powder and run their own tests and set up their machines to the proper load for that powder in that round... And turn the machines on...

What you see may look just like, say, 3031, but it may burn like 4227 or 4320 or ??? Attempts to match in this manner is begging for trouble and injury to your person. Hodgdon used to sell surplus that was "close to" and said, "use XX data" but Bruce (SR) told me they stopped for liability reasons, many, many years ago. Luck. Happy Trails. Stick to published data please.

Offline dozernomore

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
I have had great success using H335 with the .223 Rem.
DITTO !

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
Thanks everyone. ( I only use published data- check out the cross checking info in the first post. If I didn't I wouldn't have asked this question..... )
Thanks thejanitor