Author Topic: 17 Ackely Bee  (Read 451 times)

Offline Incitatus

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
17 Ackely Bee
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
I am a Contender owner and as such I sometimes buy a barrel  ... because. 

Most recently, I bought a mint 17 Ackley Bee barrel 12".  I looked at the ballistics before I bought it (this is not strictly necessary for Contender owners) and thought that it was a nice step up from my 17HMR barrel.  Thing is I don't reload.

Now, my question is this:  is there some inexpensive way I can reload this cartridge?  I figure that 50-100 rounds at a time would be just fine. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Just remember that we contender owners may not be entirely reasonable when it comes to barrels and the like so saying "why didn't you buy something that you could readily shoot" will simply not compute. 

Thank you.
NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor

Offline iiranger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Try, ... Re: 17 Ackely Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:49:03 AM »
#1). You have set for yourself a bit more steep hill to climb. .17 is not the most widespread beyond the BB gun. But...
#2). there are "custom loaders." Supposedly to do this for a business or at all you should have a Federal license... (G'D' bureaucrats, go tea party)... This is also a "hooK" that might take you where you want to go. Ask in the gun stores which have to be licensed. Shotgun News has a list of licensed FFL dealers who might know someone or be doing this too. I don't know of a source for cases so the person will have to neck down .218 WCF cases. .17 bullets are available. Mr. Ackley published data. Mr. Corbin (Dave) on his web site, corbins.com, has a list of bullet makers who need a license to sell bullets and a). may do this too, or b). may know someone.

Then, if you ask around there should be a .17 shooter or two around. .17 Bee? Probably not. It is an older, weaker case from black powder standards and the hot rodders want a newer case like .17 Fireball. You have to buy dies... oh well... they already have powder and primers... Making cases (necking down) is not too hard. If they supervise as you use the equipment, legal... Luck.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: 17 Ackely Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »
Unfortunatley just the dies might set you back $60-$100.
If you're not already reloading you'll need some other stuff also.
The upside is reloading is a great addition to your hobby.

I was looking at the Lee website and it appears they have dies for every other Ackley out there besides this one.
Grafs shows .17 dies in stock.
Might check Mid-South.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
One would need nimble fingers to seat the bullet!
GuzziJohn

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
Tweezers...... ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »
A wonderful candidate for a 17 fireball rechamber.  ;) Not trying to knock what you are trying to do Incitatus but it may be better to start with another caliber reloading. I have played with 15, 17 cal chamberings over the years. The 17 rem is the easiest to play with. Then the 17 fireball. There is enough powder capacity in both to be a little forgiving with grain variations. Also of coarse factory loaded rounds. It is usually better to learn on a standard round first before trying to learn on sizing down a near obsolete caliber to turn it into an almost non existent caliber. No worry though, you can give it a shot, trade or sell on the classifieds section or rechamber. BTW a die set will probably be about what the rechamber would cost.

If you want to give it a go these are not bad budget kits. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=423081&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-423081 Will also need about $300 more to get set up in dies, brass, bullets, primers, powder and various items not included in the kit. And .17 is a pain to load if you have stubby fingers, but doable.
Molon labe

Offline Incitatus

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Hmmmmmm.... I think you guys are just jealous ;)

Actually, I have been thinking about "partnering" with some buddies who are deamon reloaders, contributing casings and whatnot for a share of the cartridges.  This might be a good thing to add into that mix.

Thanks for your responses... I think.
NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor