Author Topic: Recycler would only give me $.25 a pound for my nonreloadable brass  (Read 668 times)

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
I had a small bucket for nonreloadable brass cracked necks millitary non reloadable ect. 13LBS (500+ pieces got $3.35! If your shooting the non reloadable type of brass its not worth straining your back to pick it up! Dale

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Recycler would only give me $.25 a pound for my nonreloadable brass
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
Some scrap yards wont take cartridge brass. 2 in my area wont because the morons turning it in didnt check for loaded rounds! One yard rep said one fellow brought in 100lbs and 25 lbs was loaded ammunition. One will take only unprimed " burnt" brass.The yard I go to knocks .20c a pound off for cartridges. Last time I got .83/lb. Dont give up yet!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
My local recycling yard take brass but they pay different prices according to grade,there is Yellow and Red brass and it's also graded as to being clean or dirty.  Cartridge case brass with the primer still in boxer  or berdan  would qualify as dirty brass and bring less money.  In general the cleaner the alloy or metal the more it will bring.  Other scrap yard may be different.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
 last time I took any brass to the yard the guy said "Those are stainless primers,you only get 15 cents a pound for that brass!" I brought the stuff home, deprimed some and took it to another yard. That place knew the difference and paid me $0.30 a pound.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:41:45 PM »
I've go a Bro-In-Law that has a forge.  I save all my ruined cases and spent 22's for him.  He melts them into ingots and uses them for knife hilts and lots of other stuff.  He's really into "old fashioned" blacksmithing, and likes to hammer out all of his work on an anvil.  Molten brass is really amazing!

Offline McDerry

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
Sounds like people are getting hosed.  Dirty Scrap Yellow Brass is trading for 1.85/lbs average on the metal exchange.  Spent casings are dirty yellow brass.

First rule when scrapping metal is large quantities of weight count.  10 lbs is nothing to most scrap yards.  300 lbs is.  Save up more brass so its in large quantities.  If they don't meet your price point take it someplace else.  Copper is a major ingredient in brass, copper is hovering at 4.50/lbs.  I've been filling 5 gallon buckets till I have a pickup load and then I call explain what I have get a price point and haul it in. 

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »
Sounds like people are getting hosed. 

Ya man! I got $1.65 last time I brought mine in.  An ice cream pail is worth over 20 bucks, been that high for a couple years.
found elsewhere

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 04:12:39 AM »
No kidd'n!!  I bet I've got 70lbs of old brass just sitting in 3lb coffee cans....I'm gonna have to check this out!  :o
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline kctibs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
I took in 36 pounds two Saturdays ago and sold it for $1.90 a pound. I thought I made out good, I guess I did.
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin