Author Topic: Revolvers  (Read 4404 times)

Offline L-Roy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Revolvers
« on: November 22, 2002, 12:44:57 PM »
:D
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 02:10:47 PM »
What is it you think that cell phone is gonna do for you if someone is shooting at you? Even when a shooting is reported it takes a LONG time for police to arrive.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage

Revolvers
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 04:52:14 AM »
GB,
If the cell phone is still on the scene, the phonebook listings in the phone's directory will make it easy to notify the next of kin-------
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Agree on the revolver, don't even consider the cell phone...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 08:46:16 AM »
I would rather have a good knife in my pocket than a cell phone if I needed the revolver! ;)

I tote a 4" barreled Redhawk in .44mag stoked with Winchester .44 SPECIAL 200gr Silvertip HP's (factory ammo) for CCW, plus have two speedloaders with the same.  I also have an 18 shot MTM Ammo Wallet in my back pocket with the same load.  

I carry the Redhawk EVERYWHERE and the .44 Specials are just fine for shooting game and plinking as well as self defense.  Hopping out of the truck, I'm ready for anything.  When I deer hunt, I load 6 rounds of MAGNUMS for deer, but have the Speedloaders and Wallet with the Specials for everything else.
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Savage

Revolvers
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 11:33:53 AM »
Plainsman,
You are certainly armed well enough to walk the steets anywhere short of Beruit! I carry a number of different weapons depending on where/what/when I'm doing. On duty when I am an obvious target I carry multiple weapons, including edged. I carry a cell phone everywhere I go as well, but not for protection. I'll call the EMT or the Coroner after the fight is over, which ever I need. I would hate to depend on response time of others when the SHTF.
Savage

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2002, 12:51:08 PM »
911 isnt that what you say when you are ordering a new porsch?  :)  JIM

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
WHAT TO CARRY.REV VS SEMI
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2002, 06:11:49 PM »
:D Well...u can carry what ya wants to...and it ya think u are going to win,you have half of the problem taken care of...the other half is that u will probably be jumped by multiple bad guys...cowards like to run in packs ya know....with a lot of experiance in this matter i would tell ya to keep that little 5 shot pea shooter as your last ditch effort in your altercation,the first one up would be a hi-cap semi auto with a round i can control in very rapid fire..to take out as many of the bad guys as possible in as short a time as possible...a semi auto will outlast a revolver everytime in ref to rough treatment,dropping,.dirt,dust,...or lint from yer picket...as fer the cell tx......i carry one also but the adrenaline rush is going to make it real interesting when ya try to dial it....
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Revolvers
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 06:07:02 AM »
Shooters,
It is sorely evident that none of you have been near a real shoot or no shoot situation.  I carry mostly Colt 1911's except in some concealement modes where deep concealement is appropriate.

Don't go anywhere without some form of communication, cell phone or whatever again is appropriate.  Anyone ever have a mike cord yanked out of service by a perp?

I am really apalled at some of the remarks when my attempt to begin discussion is replied to with flippant answers.

Certainly hope that judgement upon initial discourses does not hold true for the rest of the forums!

Don M.

Offline Savage

Revolvers
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 02:55:51 PM »
All Parties
If any of my posts appeared to be flippant be assured that was not my intent. I too keep a cell phone handy and consider it to be an essential part of my gear. My point, and I think the point of others, is simply DON'T EXPECT HELP TO ARRIVE IN TIME TO S.Y.A. I sometimes carry a weapon without carrying an extra mag, but that would be in a minimal threat environment like going to the mailbox. On duty I carry 40 rounds on my belt and in my gun. There's another 11 in the gun on my vest. If I can make it to the car there's an AR and a vest with 100rds. These are extremes of course, but I hope you get the idea. A gun with only 5 rounds might be great some on the time, hell most of the time for some people depending on where they go and their life style. I say, arm yourself for the worst. be prepared to survive till when and if help arrives. The cell phone is an essential piece of gear for the purpose for which it was intended. Haven't seen the numbers but I bet the "Fuller Index" for a cell phone is pretty low. By the way, I rarely go a week without having to draw my weapon. I've made the "shoot/no shoot" decision dozens of times. The fact that I'm here to write this now must mean I made the right ones.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
Revolvers
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 05:37:02 PM »
must be nice to have the choice of being able to defend yourself. as a part time officer i helped break in our present chief but can not get a permit to carry from him. guess he can not see beyound this little town and feels nobody but him and his officers need to protect themself and loved ones.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline rdc in MN

Revolvers
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 06:20:34 PM »
L-ROY,
I'm not trying to be flippant-but the rule of nine teaches us that help us that help usually arries afterwards 99.9% of the time.

Hey tripper, I can tell you have the same type of sheriff that I have.
If the Second Amendment is not worth the paper it is written on, What price the first?-Mr. Fred Donaldson

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
Revolvers
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2002, 09:25:23 PM »
let me think! i saw nothing really flippy going on here maybe some good ole boy natured fun but no flippy attitude! as far as gun play i know 3 officers here that responed  and myself after working the the streets of detroit for awhile, and being in one documented home shooting while off duty, and a few other close encounters i would watch what is going to be guessed by you! yes a cell phone is a great tool to have but!  i have never ever really seen it do a whole lot of good in a fight othere than for before calls to 911 if you know it is going to go down now and have time! or after the fact to call for help! i have used mine for certain off duty incidents  drunk drivers and one or too idiot drivers!  and a few other bol calls! the po's no what i mean !  the revolver is a good weapon! tohave but there are those who go about in harms way with a wide assortment  of weapons!  me usually a pair of glocks or sigs off duty  or 1911's in some form or another  but always in pairs!

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
Revolvers
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2002, 06:25:29 AM »
I don't know. I'm still a big fan of the wheel gun. My gun of choice is still the Smith model 60 in .38 spc. I don't anticipate being in a heavy engagement. I find the "dimunitive" Smith applicable for over 95% of my concealed carry needs. The other 5% is a .22. Multiple assailants, attitudes quickly change when the first one or two hit the ground. I went with the revolver as an accuracy issue. I can't hit sh** with a small auto. If you see me with a compact auto in my hands you best bet is to stand still. You're much more likely to get hit by running into a fired bullet than me deliberately hitting you with one. Misses don't count, only hits. Cell phone one instance comes to mind. I remember reading about was a subject who was attacked and killed while he called 911. The 911 tape recorded the entire incident. Had the victim been armed. The cell phone could have been used and as the situation unfolded. The phone could have been dropped on the ground to create an open line with 911 and document the incident as it unfolded. Just my opinion, and we all know what those are like.

Frog
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Savage

Revolvers
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2002, 11:54:49 AM »
Guys,
Perhaps I gave the wrong impression here! I too somtimes carry a snubbie and feel quite well protected. I love my wheel guns and shoot them frequently. My favorate is a 4" Mdl 29 S&W. I'll say it again, a wheelgun is adequate for most people most of the time. The best weapon you can carry is one that you have confidence in and can deploy effectively. I think all of us that carry daily both on and off the job should be prepared to solve any problem that confronts us without depending on outside help. However you prepare to accomplish this is up to you.
Just think how history might have been changed if Custer had taken his Gatling guns with him!!

Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
Revolvers
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2002, 04:11:11 PM »
:-D OK..OK...I WILL HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I CARRY A WHEELGUN ONCE INNA WHILE...but,it acts as a back-up to my mod 19 glock..i also have been known to carry my custom 10mm also,man,does that thing hit hard........over the years i think that i have carried just about anything that was made..at first i carried a 1911,then a S&W MOD 59,sometime there was a BERRETTA also,.....I can remember carrying a .44 mag..but that was a special detail...now i just stick to semi-autos for everything...i really cant remember carrying a little snubnose .38,most of the other guys did carry them as thier main gun..but i never did..always liked the way the autos shot...but then..i kinda was known for getting into..things..A LOT... :twisted:  :twisted: ...and winning
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Savage

Revolvers
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2002, 05:21:21 PM »
King,
Speaking of 10mm--------did you know Dan Wession Arms offers this chambering in their 1911 Pointman?????????Not that you care of course--------Seems once you own a 10mm you're allways looking for another one.
Hey is that a Colt DE in the safe?????????
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Turkey day
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2002, 08:27:22 PM »
Looks as if some have softened somewhat after an extended holiday with sumptuous feasts to satiate the appetite.

Yes, the phone is for after the incident.  Never be out of touch.  As one mentioned, lacking a radio, the phone COULD serve to record the incident for posterity as well as to call the casuality transportation team!

Yes, the BEST  weapon is the one at hand and the one the user is proficient with!

As for firepower needed and the use of a phone, check with LFI and Mr. Massad Ayoob, the consumate expert witness in hundreds of good guy, bad guy cases!  He has a preponderance of evidence from which to draw conclusions.  For those literary types, he has also written tomes of information that make for good reading and education for the needy.

Don M.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
Revolvers
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2002, 09:42:48 PM »
Hey, I'm the casualty transport team!!

Stay safe out there.   :D

Frog
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES