Author Topic: No More Simmons Aetec Scopes  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Delbert

• Trade Count: (0)
No More Simmons Aetec Scopes
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
Recently purchased a Simmons 44MAG "Master Series" scope and I must say it has performed exceptionallyy well. Also picked up an older 2010 Simmons product catalog and noticed that the Aetec series of rifle scopes were not listed. Called company to ask a few questions about the Master Series of scopes and why no Aetec's and service person said the Aetec line of scopes was dropped from sales, which I hadn't heard of. Wonder why they would drop their best scope? I know Simmons could of improved their lower cost scopes to be a much better product, but to drop something that already worked? Service person said that the 44MAG Master Series is now their top of line scope.
Del

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: No More Simmons Aetec Scopes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
They surely dropped it because it was no longer profitable.  Purely a business decision I assume.  Either production costs were too high, sales were too low, or they had stiff competition from a superior product at their price point.

Those are my guesses.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
There are only a few factories. They make similar scopes under various names. Some of the sites put a lot of time into figuring out which scope is almost the same as which other scope.

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
I believe "Intensity Optics" still makes an Aespherical lense scope and I think I saw a Weaver model also. 

I think the best one was the older "Whitetail Expedition" that Simmons made for awhile.  Very close to my Conquest in clarity.   

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Too bad, that was the one simmons scope I really liked.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline pl270

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
Too bad, that was the one simmons scope I really liked.

+1

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:24:39 AM »
Previous reply mentioned Intensity/Weaver has Aetec type scopes, which is true.  Intensity brand is discontinued, but Weaver 40/44 model scopes includes the Aetec type aspherical lens scopes.  Memory serves me correctly, Weaver ones made in Philippines, in same plant as older Aetec scopes.  Only Weaver 40/44 models that have lower power of 2.8 or 3.5? are aspherical.