Author Topic: Tea Party has it's Candidate?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Tea Party has it's Candidate?
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »
Received this in my email from News With Views.com.
It looks as if once again Ron Paul has thrown his hat in the ring.
Everyone talks about needing a true Conservative Republican to run against the Liberal establishment........Here's your chance to get one. If Paul runs, he will dam sure get my vote!

What say you folks?

By Chuck Baldwin
April 28, 2011
NewsWithViews.com

After I wrote my last column, several Tea Party activists contacted me to let me know that they had not been "neoconned." They made it plain in no uncertain terms that they would never support establishment neocon Republicans such as Newt Gingrich for the office of President of the United States. Most assuredly, I was glad to hear from these folks; I only wish my mail box had been swamped with such correspondence--it wasn't!

At this point, it may be helpful if I give a little history lesson. The Tea Party movement began in 2007 as a grassroots effort to support the 2008 Presidential candidacy of Congressman Ron Paul of Texas. I am proud to say that I was part of that effort. In fact, I actively campaigned for Dr. Paul in at least four states during that election cycle: Alabama, Florida, Iowa, and South Carolina. I was even honored to represent Dr. Paul in a major South Carolina GOP banquet, in which sitting US congressmen and senators were selected from around the country to represent most of the other Republican Presidential candidates. (I wish readers could have been a fly on the wall to witness the goings on at the speaker's table during the banquet as these GOP congressmen and senators tried to figure out who I was, and what the heck I was doing there. It was quite a sight!) I well remember that, as I came down from the speaker's platform, one US Senator told me that my promotion of Dr. Paul's candidacy that night was the best presentation on behalf of the Texas congressman that he had ever heard. Since then, I have spoken at numerous Tea Party events and appeared on both local and national media outlets (and numerous private videos and recordings) discussing the merits of the Tea Party movement and promoting the candidacy of Dr. Paul.

We need to get this straight: the Tea Party movement was never about electing Republicans--especially neocon Republicans! The Tea Party movement began as a grassroots effort to reduce the size and scope of the federal government; to rid America of the oppressive tax burden under which it currently groans; to eliminate the Federal Reserve; to return America to sound money; to stop the federal government's obsession with foreign entanglements and wars; and to return America to constitutional governance. And there was only one man within the two major parties that was going to bring about those changes in 2008: Congressman Ron Paul, which is why the Tea Party was birthed as a grassroots extension of his campaign.

Since then, however, many GOP shills and toadies have jumped on the Tea Party bandwagon and have attempted to redefine its goals and objectives, including many of the talking heads on FOX News. In truth, many Tea Party activists regularly look to Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and other "conservative" celebrities to champion their cause.

Need I remind everyone that Hannity has hardly ever met a Republican that he didn't gush over. And I couldn't count how many times we've seen Mr. Neocon himself, Newt Gingrich, on Hannity's show. And as much as many people will cringe to hear this (and as much as I appreciate many things that Beck has to say), it was Glenn Beck who literally sabotaged a legitimate Tea Party candidate, Debra Medina, on his show. I would even dare say that Medina might have been elected Texas governor had it not been for the hatchet job Beck did on her. And as much as I like Sarah Palin for her fervent pro-life and pro-Second Amendment convictions, when it comes to foreign affairs, she is just another shill for the pro-war, military-industrial complex that has dominated US foreign policy since the days of Lyndon Johnson.

In 2008, the Tea Party movement supported one candidate: Ron Paul. He was the only Presidential candidate who had the guts to say the Federal Reserve was corrupt and needed to be eliminated; he was the only candidate (with the exception of Dennis Kucinich) who said the war in Iraq was unnecessary and unconstitutional; he was the only candidate who sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act, which would recognize the right of the states to nullify Roe vs. Wade; he was the only Republican candidate to speak out against the USA Patriot Act, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and other draconian police-state-type legislation and departments; and he was the only man from either party who had the guts to say the US should stop sending foreign aid to all countries--even Israel.

Now, here we are four years later. And, once again, the man who was responsible for the Tea Party movement coming into existence has entered the 2012 race for President. See the story, as it is reported in the National Journal.

Coinciding with his announcement that he was establishing an "Exploratory Committee" for his Presidential bid, Dr. Paul also launched his campaign web site.

So, once again, the Tea Parties have their man. Will they support him in 2011 and 2012, as they did in 2007 and 2008? If they have not been "neoconned," they will.

© 2011 Chuck Baldwin - All Rights Reserved

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Tea Party has it's Candidate?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »
There are parts of Ron Paul I like (the limited government parts).  There are parts that just serve as right-wing agitation. 

I continue to believe he is not electable, but the only possible chance I can see is as a third party.  If he wins a Republican nomination (and he won't) he will lose in an epic landslide in the general.

In a three party race with a TP candidate and a Republican candidate I would expect a 50:30:20 type split of the vote with an easy win by Obama.  It would be the reverse of Jesse Jackson's campaigns.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
There are parts of Ron Paul I like (the limited government parts).  There are parts that just serve as right-wing agitation. 

I continue to believe he is not electable, but the only possible chance I can see is as a third party.  If he wins a Republican nomination (and he won't) he will lose in an epic landslide in the general.

In a three party race with a TP candidate and a Republican candidate I would expect a 50:30:20 type split of the vote with an easy win by Obama.  It would be the reverse of Jesse Jackson's campaigns.

So your saying, if he won the Republican nomination, he would have less chance of winning against Obama than John McCain did?

I don't see it that way! I agree he would have a difficult time fighting the RNC to get the nomination, but if he managed to pull it off, I think he would have a better chance of defeating a Democrat Liberal, than a Liberal Republican would.

I have always been curious!!! What is it about Paul that Republican Conservatives don't agree with? You mention you like his less government stance, but don't make clear what the agitation part is? Is it the fact he wants to do away with the Fed, or is against involvement with the internal affairs of other countries, or questions the governments investigation of 911? When I read the platform of the Republican party, of which I'm a member , I see him as the perfect candidate.

I cannot believe a registered Republican voter would vote Obama over him in the general election.Just the opposite!
I think he would draw votes away from the Democrats.Especially the younger ones.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »
So your saying, if he won the Republican nomination, he would have less chance of winning against Obama than John McCain did?
I am saying that, yes.  Neither party can muster enough votes out of the base to win an election, it's simple demographics.  He needs to win the majority of the middle America vote to win.  John McCain lost because the middle America vote was sick of Republicans who talk something and don't do it.  I think war fatigue was a problem as well. 

I don't see it that way! I agree he would have a difficult time fighting the RNC to get the nomination, but if he managed to pull it off, I think he would have a better chance of defeating a Democrat Liberal, than a Liberal Republican would.
Perhaps, but I'll bet you a steak dinner we never find out.

I have always been curious!!! What is it about Paul that Republican Conservatives don't agree with? You mention you like his less government stance, but don't make clear what the agitation part is? Is it the fact he wants to do away with the Fed, or is against involvement with the internal affairs of other countries, or questions the governments investigation of 911? When I read the platform of the Republican party, of which I'm a member , I see him as the perfect candidate.
I'm a registered Republican but in the last 10 years I've become increasingly disenchanted with the party.  I was a Republican when they were more into limited government and less into forcing their religious doctrine on everyone else.  When Bush made his stand on stem cells I realized the party had left me (and common sense)...  Then the local Republican party forced that wretched Phil Klein on us after the voters had soundly rejected him (appointing him to a vacant position after he lost a general election easily).  The whole thing was sickening to me.

I now consider myself a Libertarian.  When I say I want less government I don't just mean less government except when the government is stopping people from doing something I don't like.  I mean that I believe freedom includes the right for you to do something I don't like, I don't agree with, or I find morally wrong.  I want less taxes, less government, less social programs.  I believe Americans should have the right to "Opt Out" of any social program.  I should be allowed to tell the government that I'll handle my own disability insurance, and keep my taxes from supporting the new welfare...

As for Paul, like I said, the limited government stuff is good.  But he'll fail to win the middle because of the other stuff, the "outlaw all abortions", "eleminate the fed", and the "go back to the gold standard" etc...  I'd be happy to quit fighting wars abroad, and I think most people would as well, but those other things are considered too radical to gain traction, whether they have merit or not. 

I also think he will have difficultly communicating those ideas outside of his base... 

Hey, I could be wrong... It's all just a guess at this point...  A steak dinner is there if you prove me wrong...

I cannot believe a registered Republican voter would vote Obama over him in the general election.Just the opposite!
I think he would draw votes away from the Democrats.Especially the younger ones.
Again, it's not the registered voters that worry me.  In 2008 (the last year my 2 minutes of research found) registered republicans were 27%, democrats and independants each 36.  You can't win an election with 27% of the vote.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
I have voted Libertarian for several years now. I long ago tired of the Republican double standard, and double talk. I check voting records, and I vote straight Constitution, and Bill of Rights candidates. They are few and far between but are there. Ron Paul, though I don't think enough will support him, has never voted against either document. As evidenced in this discussion, some will not vote for him because they do not think he will have enough support. Well. Of course he won't have enough support, because these same folks will continue to vote "the lessor of two evils", and little will change.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
Anyone, and I mean anyone, that wins the GOP primary, gets 99% of the Rep vote. Obama is that polarizing. To his credit, he started as a gamechanger, and has not moved off that position one bit. But that is one dimensional. The trick is then to undermine Obama's base. I think that if Oprah and Palin ran together, they could do it.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
Very well stated Dee.  As long as nothing changes, nothings going to change.  What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over, and over the same way. Expecting a different result each time. This nation has voted d or r for decades now, and we're further in the toilet. The demicans and republicrats have the divide and conquer tactic down to a fine science.

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
I'm with you brothers.  I worked for Andre Marrou's campaign back in '92, also got a seat at the table (state event, not national).  Now I'm not even sure how to spell his name and I have no clue who the running mate was.  That's a problem.  I've been saying there's the Tea Party and the Two Party, and if they go head to head, somebody from the Two Party is going to get in, especially with the job mainstream media has done putting the Tea Party on the far right.

I love Dr. Paul, but I'm not sure he's the one - too far up in years and too far out in views.  There's a kid around here who worked for his primary in '08.  When the story came out how he had opposed the ML King holiday and gotten mixed up with what was presented as a pro-segregationist newsletter, his mother (total zombie liberal) put the fear of the Klan in him and that was that.  I can't bring him back.

There are no easy answers.  I saw the clever cartoon about how the spirit of Thomas Jefferson wants us to scuttle the Fed, but gentlemen, if you want functioning capital markets, we are going to have a central bank - this isn't the 18th Century.  And all our friends who want to tank up their pickups will expect to see planes in the air and maybe boots on the ground whenever anyone threatens our petroleum, no matter whose sand it happens to be under.  A solid majority even opposes ending the War on Drugs, which may be the most useless and expensive of all our current wars.  I will try to help Paul if I can, but I will probably vote Libertarian again and eagerly open the paper the day after the election to see how many hundred thousand votes we got, look at the last digit and say "that's me"! 

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
If Ron Paul wins the rep primary he will get my vote, but I think his son Rand would have a better chance against the obamination. Rand has said he will NOT run if his Father does and Ron said last week he would not make a decision til summer so I hope this story is true. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
If Ron Paul wins the republican nomination I will vote for him.  If the republicans put up another RINO; I will vote for the Libertarian.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
OK guys. You are getting all heated up over an election at the end of next year and I'm not writing to minimize that.

I got a Fed election  this coming Tuesday and it looks like the left wing pinheads are poised to be the "Loyal Opposition"  wich is the proper term here. It gets worse if the Conservatives do not get a majority Government vote.
 I'm a bit stressed right about now !!.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
I will definitely vote for Dr. Paul. My days of voting for the lesser of two evils are over.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
I'm not at all gettin heated up. I have much confidence that the usual crowd, will vote for the lessor of two evils, and either the greater of, or the the lessor of, will win as usual, and then everyone can go back to complaining, and wondering why the country is goin to hell on a bobsled.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
 I was all excited about his running the last tome right up until HE QUIT.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
He quit because he ran out of money, and i.e. support. He most likely will run out again. After all. Everyone says he can't win, for lack of support. So he won't. For lack of support.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
Is there a reason there couldn't be a Ron Paul- Rand Paul ticket? that would help pick up the youth vote I think.

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 01:33:57 AM »
An honest, strong Constitutionalist, Bill of Rights candidate would have to be a masochist to run for president in this country (Ron Paul?). He can never win, because he will not be supported by enough folks. Most Americans PREFER, a lying, so called "conservative" Republican candidate that makes pretty speeches, photographs well, and makes promises that he could not, and never will keep. It gives the listener "instant gratification", and  keeps Fox News in something to talk about, and a reason to give endless interviews, and listen to endless opinions, from the likes of Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and good ole John McCain.
On the other hand, if your pretty candidate doesn't win, then you can wail away for four years about how the Democrat is ruining the country. Which by the way, he is.

Offline Gary G

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 03:40:40 AM »
Well, I for one think Ron Paul has a very good chance. According to some polling that I have seen, Paul will come in second in Iowa and then second again in the second primary with different candidates as winners. This will put him in a very good position starting out. I don't think the media can dismiss him then. Many people are getting educated and Paul is the only candidate with an economic understanding which is very much needed.

That being said, I almost hope he doesn't get the nomination because this economy is going to self destruct early in the next presidential cycle, if not before, and the one in office will get blamed. 
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline powderman

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 05:30:47 AM »
Ron Pauls problem may have partly been money but his biggest problem is making no attempt to do anything til a month before election. Ya just can't do that. I'll definitely vote for him in the primary. He still hasn't officially announced anything. If he's going to run, he needs to say so NOW. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »

................................................and he was the only man from either party who had the guts to say the US should stop sending foreign aid to all countries--even Israel.

The last portion of that remark will ensure that he will never ever get past the Primaries. He might as well have worn a Palestinian flag as a coat.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »

................................................and he was the only man from either party who had the guts to say the US should stop sending foreign aid to all countries--even Israel.

The last portion of that remark will ensure that he will never ever get past the Primaries. He might as well have worn a Palestinian flag as a coat.
Hit the nail on the head there.  "Conservatives" today talk a big game about cuts and limited government, right up until you start cutting the things they like.

Offline powderman

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
and he was the only man from either party who had the guts to say the US should stop sending foreign aid to all countries--even Israel.

I could be wrong but I believe it was his son Rand who said that, and I do not agree with not helping Israel. They are the only friendly in the entire mideast. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
I could vote for Ron Paul and be pleased to do it, although I think Rand Paul may have a better chance since the demographics of voters is getting younger among things.  Certainly if Ron got the nomination I would vote and campaign for him...
     I would expect a Ron/Rand Paul would be a loser for sure...   I believe people are getting tired of "family dynasties"  whether the name is Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, Daly or Jackson.
   A better shot may be had by pairing a brainy, bright pair that can perform without a teleprompter.. , say a.. Paul Ryan/Michelle Bachman team or an... Allen West/ Bob Mcdonnell team.  A great balancing addition to any of these teams would be either Duncan L. Hunter R-CA  ..or Duncan D. Hunter R-Ca  a father/son team of war heroes which would help the east/west balance.  Note; I said either one..even though they arte both highly qualified.  People don't want any more "dynasties"..even a brand new Hunter dynasty.

It would seem that ANYBODY could beat the Soros/Obama team...but there are plenty of voter who still don't "get it". 

We need fresh faces with fresh ideas;  but if the Republicans  run one of their "moldy oldies", they could easily lose again...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
It looks like the republicans are being real careful not to let a front runner emerge yet.  There was a rumor a while back that the democrats want to dump Obama and run Hillary, and they are probably going to need a new VP in any case, so the GOP is waiting to see who they will run against.  Ron Paul is probably unelectable.  Over the years he has taken some highly principled positions, being the only one to vote this way or that, which will be dredged up to make him sound simply loco.  His greatest value today is to focus attention on the corrupt practices of the Federal Reserve and other economic truths.  I will vote for him if he runs, but get ready for 4 more years of democratic (mis)rule.

Rand Paul has a bright future, but he is in no great hurry.  I thought during his senate run he was going to great lengths not to sound as far out as papa - I think he said he would have supported the war in Afghanistan but not Iraq.  Well, OK, I thought Iraq made more sense that Afghanistan, but what do I know.  I liked something I read about Gary Johnson, but I don't know too much about him.  Maybe people from the Southwest can set me straight.  Being governor of New Mexico probably means sucking up to the liberal some.

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
Vice president Biden, is much like Soupy Sales. He is a bonified idiot, that continually steps into the mop bucket. We don't really need a vice president, just let the next in line step up if the president expires, and save the vice pres. salary.

Offline powderman

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
IRONGLOW, DEE. Agreed Sirs. I hope Rand runs, but I'd vote for him or his Dad, still don't think Ron is electable, but Rand is. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
If Ron Paul wins the republican nomination I will vote for him.  If the republicans put up another RINO; I will vote for the Libertarian.

As will I.  In the last race, Obama was a Liberal, and McCain was a Liberal.  I won't vote for a Liberal on the current track.

Paul doesn't want to be president.  He may declare.  He might run.  The plain fact is that he doesn't have the balls for the fight.  He proved that in 2008.  He had a superior platform, the only American who ran, but when he wouldn't separate himself from the R's, he lost my vote. 

If Rand runs he'll get my vote.  Other than that I'll vote third party.  Whichever best represents my views.  I hope there's an 'F-Everyone' party... Oh wait, there's already two of those, the D' and the R's...

OK then, a 'Leave Me the Hell Alone' party.

At the current time, no D or R rates even the consideration of a big pile of my squatted 'duty' as a citizen.

:-\
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline powderman

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
The Lou courier journal said that Ron Paul has said he had a comittee to see if he should run and would probably make a decision by the end of MAY. He either needs to get in the saddle or put the horse in the barn. He's dragging his feet again. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »
Powderman;
  In defense of ron Paul...he's not alone, I don't see anyone as firmly committed yet and I am not surprised.  We both know that as soon as any potential candidate commits the Demo-rats will put their bottom-feeder operatives & investigators on their case immediately..trying to dig up some kind of dirt.  Failing in that, they will try to manufacture some; after all., look what they have done to Palin! They even moved a sympathizer in next door to her house..probably watching to see if any of the little kids took a leak beside a tree.  ;) :D :P   
     So likely most potential candidates figure there is no need to give thm a head start.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 02:15:34 AM »
I worry that a third party runner would take away votes from the Republican party, but then again, they need a STRONG canidate to run on the GOP ticket, and as of now, I see none.

Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!