Author Topic: heavy bullets (180+) from a 30-30  (Read 2157 times)

Offline mattri

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
heavy bullets (180+) from a 30-30
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Has anyone shot bullets heavier than the 170gr in their 30-30? 

What rifle/load? 

How was the accuracy?

Any experience with their performance on game? 

A bit of a vague question, just curios if anyone has experimented with this.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: heavy bullets (180+) from a 30-30
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
My Lyman 31141 casts about 180 gr. I have shot it with 30 gr of 3031 for years. Can't see much difference in performance between it and a 170 except that if you shoot game with a cast bullet that is a whole different ball park.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
I loaded some SIE 180 gr Pro Hunters with some H380 for my handi. Just to use them up.
They were minute of deer, actually minute of a small deer if I'm being forthcoming.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

He prefered handloaded 180 grain bullets for elk, moose, and bears...
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline RIF

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:09:46 PM »
Frank Marshal Jr. wrote an article that was reprinted in the 3rd copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.  In the article Marshal spoke very highly of using a 220 grain (311284) round nose bullet that he bumped a flat point on in the sizer.  Something about that idea stuck with me, and I tried my hand at loading just such a bullet in a 336 30-30.  I never could get the accuracy out of that bullet no matter the load I used (including Marshals load).  I also noticed a fair number of the bullets had keyholed on paper at 100 and even 50.  I contacted some learned folks about this, and discovered I was not alone in my findings.  So, I have let the dust settle on this topic and moved on at least for now. 

If you have been successful doing this, I would also be interested in the how's that make it work for you. 

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:04:53 AM »
Most all 180 gr 30 cal bullets are constructed to work at much higher velocities than can be achieved with the 30-30 Win. The 150 and 170 gr flat nose and wide HP bullets have thinner jackets designed to expand at the velocities that can be achieved with the 30-30 Win. For effective on game performance if one needs more penetration with good expansion than a full house loaded 170 gr 30-30 bullet fired from a 30-30 Win rifle you need to step up to a 30-06 or larger.

One other factor with the heaver longer bullets is to get them to work through your action you have to seat the bullet so deep into the case that your powder volume will be really low and thus that lowers you velocity even more.

The reason that those 220 gr cast bullets key holed out of a Marlin 336 is most likely caused by the micro grooved rifling they have. Cast bullets of any weight unless they are cast REALLY HARD do not usually shoot very accurately in them.   

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
No, I have not had any difficulty shooting cast bullets from a 336.  But in this particular instance it was with a 1952 vintage ballard rifled gun, so your theory does not apply to this exact case.  I have got 35 Rem, and 444 Marlin micro grooved barrels to perform very well for me.  If you think about it, it makes sense too.  There is a third more surface area a micro grooved barrel uses to grip and put the spin on a bullet.  With the MG barrels the key you must pay particular attention to is bullet to barrel fit.  If a cast bullet is fitted to a MG barrel they usually shoot better than say another comparable rifle.  You said that they need to be really hard.  To me what this really means is that to forego the work necessary and trying to fit the bullet to the rifle, a hard bullet will be more forgiving that a soft bullet.  In essence it is the lazy mans way to get a 336 MG to shoot better.  But a hard bullet is something that should not be shot at game for obvious reasons. 

I cannot get a 94 to shoot as well as a 336 for instance.  To me, it is the micro groove rifled barrel that is the key to this success.  It is unfortunate that the old wives tale about the MG and lead bullets not going together was started in the first place, by some very, very, talented and knowledgeable writers and now is passed off as fact.  The ebb and flow of popular cartridges, is interesting to look at.  The way the gun writers and shooters percieve a particular cartridge sometimes has very little to do with how great a said round is.  Take the 30-30 for instance.  It is not anywhere near as good of a round as say 300 Savage is, one is as dead as a dodo, why?  Making the 30-30 a better gun with bigger bullets is a right of passage for many folks.  It is what it is, a round that has seen the test of time, it has been on the kill of so many critters my calculator does not go that high.  But to me, heavy bullets is just putting lipstick on a pig as Palin said.  If you can accept the 30-30 for what it is, and CAN do, which is lob a 170 grain bullet at game at moderate velocoties you will save yourself time and money.  But since I did this, I cannot tell folks to not do this just based on my experiences.  Like I said, it is a right of passage for some folks and will continue to be no matter what I have to say. 

I have a 32 Win Special in a 336 MG barrel, that will shoot the pants off ANY 94 I have ever seen, and gives a good bolt gun a run for its money...all done with cast bullets. 

The reason those big bullets dont work as far as I can understand, is because that big bullet is not balanced properly, and its nose is not flying true through the air.  Centrifugal force is keeping it spinning of course, but it has trouble keeping its nose from making tiny circles.  This is the keyhole issue.  If you think about it long enough, you begin to see that this experiment can relate to other heavy bullet for caliber arrangements and can be extrapolated to other calibers in this way.  The laws of physics don't really care how much you love a particular caliber and the fact that you really, really want to lob a big bullet down range.  The longer it is, the faster it needs to be spun.  This can be done by either using a faster twist barrel, or shooting it faster.  Neither of these is condusive to lead bullets, and since whatever happens to lead is also happening to copper but to a lesser extent, you begin to understand why bullets do what they do, no matter the metal used.  Copper is harder and more forgiving, but copper clad bullets are subject to the same analysis as a pure lead projectile.  If you understand all this, you will achieve better accuracy, and a better chance of making game dead.  This is the main reason I want to shoot and practice, its the time once a year (if I am lucky that I will get the chance to kill a nice bear or nice buck).

Anyway, if a bullet that is not flying true hits bone it will deflect.  If it hits a twig before the target it will deflect.  The exact opposite effect of the normal person who is shooting a heavy at game wants.  To me, the old wives tale that needs to die is the fact that heavy for caliber bullets do better as brush busters than normal for caliber bullet weights.

FWIW, I have had good success with 311041 and 311407.  Both are right around 175 grains.  Its a good place to be with a 30-30. 

What you said about the heavy 30 cal jacks is very true and something that ought to be taken into account.  The jackets are built to withstand the force of hitting something at 300 Win Mag speeds.  If you shoot these bullets at 1700fps it will act as a solid with minimal expansion. 

I hope that I am not coming across as a know it all, just passing along what I know.  I have far more to learn, that I do know. 

Offline mattri

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
Excellent replies, thanks. 

Again, I was more curious than anything.  I have two 30-30s, an old Stevens 325 and a new Marlin 336.  The Marlin should have a 1:10 twist, and the Stevens a 1:12 twist.

Am not currently casting for either, but reloading for both.  The Stevens really likes the Hrnady 160gr FTX over IMR4350 while the Marlin prefers 150gr Win over H4895. 

Would be interesting to see what either/both of these rifles could do with heavier bullets. 

The tubular mag on the 336 isn't an issue, I always single feed. 

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

The tubular mag on the 336 isn't an issue, I always single feed.

I have some cast heavies here if you want to try a few.  PM me ifn ya do.  Those Stevens 30-30's are quite accurate in my experience, the one in twelve is a much better twist than the ten for doing this.  Do you know your groove and land dimensions?  Always looking to recruit folks to be casters. 

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:26:13 PM »
Here is some more food for thought.  Velocity is more important than bullet mass or sectional density if you are looking for a bullet that will fly true through bushes and game.  In my world, the deer reside in limitless patches of brush.  As far as I can tell the only time they get out of the brush is at night, or if they are pushed out.  They eat brush, sleep in brush, and I guess they poop brush.  Therefore a shot through brush is usually your only shot, and you better be quick!  A heavy slow bullet does NOT bust brush (sorry to break it to you).  A screamin fast bullet just blows up (sorry to break it to you).  You need to shoot a bullet that is like baby bears porridge, just right.  A 170 grain 30-30 bullet at 2,200 is I believe one of the most perfect close distance brush numbers available, believe in brush busting bullets or not, its a true honest to goodness brush buster.  Likewise, a 400 grain 444 bullet is NOT (sorry to break it to you). 

This is a fun topic to me. 

Offline shot1

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 04:47:45 AM »
After killing a few hundred WT deer with about everything from an arrow through a 45-70 I can honestly say there is no such thing as a "BRUSH BUSTING BULLET".  If you hit tree limbs or twigs with any bullet if you hit what you are aiming at you are lucky and usually the game is unlucky because the bullet does not hit where you were aiming and misses the vitals and they run off and suffer until they die and you don't get the meat. There is an exception to most rules but as a norm this has been my experience. Many times people think that a bullet has made it to the game because it has went thorough (hitting) brush but in reality the bullet went through the brush without hitting any of it.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 06:23:18 AM »
Here is some more food for thought.  Velocity is more important than bullet mass or sectional density if you are looking 

This is a fun topic to me.

A 58 cal round ball is probably the best brush resistant projectile short of an artillery round.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline RIF

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »
After killing a few hundred WT deer with about everything from an arrow through a 45-70 I can honestly say there is no such thing as a "BRUSH BUSTING BULLET".  If you hit tree limbs or twigs with any bullet if you hit what you are aiming at you are lucky and usually the game is unlucky because the bullet does not hit where you were aiming and misses the vitals and they run off and suffer until they die and you don't get the meat. There is an exception to most rules but as a norm this has been my experience. Many times people think that a bullet has made it to the game because it has went thorough (hitting) brush but in reality the bullet went through the brush without hitting any of it.

We have come full circle on this issue.  Used to be that most hunters believed the brush busting theory, now most seem like they do not.  The fact remains that in some areas, there is very little to no chance of shooting game outside of brush.  Some bullets are definately more suited to this than others.  I have found that heavy slow bullets, contrary to popular thought, are not good brush busters.  I have watched the folks on deer hunting TV.  That is not the way it can be done here.  No feeders allowed.  You need to get in and rustle them up.  If hunting was all that easy, I would not be interested anyway.  Kind of like shooting cows to me. 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:46:43 AM »
I think the best brush buster is a low power scope. Lets you see the brush between you and the critter and pick a hole.

Offline mattri

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:18 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. 

Not looking for a "brush buster", more interested in accuracy and the terminal performance on game.

Thanks, Matt. 

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. 

Not looking for a "brush buster", more interested in accuracy and the terminal performance on game.

Thanks, Matt.

As far as heavy cast bullets I also have shot quite a few 311284s and 311299s out of my M94 carbine and M94AE rifle (24" barrel).  I single fed them through the top as with the GCs not seated below the case necks they were too long to feed from the tube.  Accuracy was very good and I pushed both to 2000+ fps out of the carbine.  I did not hunt anything with them but my experience with either bullet in other .30 cals at the same velocity says they will do fine. 

Now with jacketed bullets I use the 190 gr Winchester SilverTip used in the .303 Savage.  I found a box of them at a gunshow and will use them only on larger pigs, bear and elk in the M94AE.  My loadis right at 2200 fps out of the M94AE and is right at the top of the SAAMI PMAP for the 30-30 as measured with an Oehler M43.  That bullet was designed for that velocity range and is very deadly on deer, bear, elk and pigs.
If you ever find any of those bullets buy them regardless of the cost, they are worth it.

Larry Gibson

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
Swampy,

How many moose, elk, & bears have you killed there in Florida?

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »
Did you read my post?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~