Author Topic: lead bullet problem  (Read 536 times)

Offline forcon

• Trade Count: (0)
lead bullet problem
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:06 AM »
Hello everyone, I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 MAG a while back and just got around to shooting it this week-shot a box of factory ammo and love the gun.I assembled everything I would need to reload for it and set out to load 100 rounds.I have 100 pieces of new Winchester brass that I full length resized then ran them through the expander die.I then primed and loaded with powder and attempted to start seating bullets.The first couple went allright but then I began having the bullet get stuck into the seating die,really stuck.I had to take the die apart and PUNCH the bullet out.I am using Lee dies and set them up exactly as the instuctions said.I tried using more flare, less flare nothing worked.Finally got frustrated and put things away.The bullets I am using are Laser cast 200 grain lead from Oregon Trail.Any help would be really appreciated.Thanks,Forcon.

Offline Savage

Re: lead bullet problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Is your seating die adjusted to apply the proper crimp?  A proper crimp should prevent bullets being pulled in the seating die. Also make sure you are using the proper seating punch for your bullet profile. If those two things are correct, you shouldn't have a problem.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
Lube can get in the seating die causing sticking and other problems. Take the die apart and clean it to see if this is the problem. Also measure the bullete, they may be too big in dia. and stick in the die (but I doubt it. I use Lee dies for my .44 mag). Also I'd suggest seating and crimping in two operations. Sure, it can be done in one, but much easier to control depth of bullet and amount of crimp doing it in two steps. Try seating/crimping in two steps and see if anything changes (an overcrimp may distort case sides, loosening neck tension).

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
I reload the 44 with lee also and every now and then I run into the same problem but for me its not adjusting the seatting die down far enough for the case to grip the bullet enough, and I agree with mdi I always seat and crimp in two operations.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
I recently had to clean out the seating die in my Pacific (Hornady) carbide 3-die set because I was getting an ugly crimp.  When I pulled the die apart I found harden bullet lube in the die.  I cleaned it out but I was in the dance of getting a proper crimp, and the correct OAL. 
I pulled out a Bullet Seating-Crimp die from a Lyman standard set and adjusted it to do the roll crimp, while the Pacific die is doing the bullet seating duties.  If I did not have the extra set I would have purchased a Lee Factory Crimp Die.  BUT a 4th die is not an answer to your problem which is occurring in the bullet seating process.  A fourth die is not essential to loading pistol ammunition serves a purpose.

I am thinking that you need a very shallow bell to start the bullet.  If the bullet you are using has a tapered heel that will assist in getting the bullet started.  Bellow the bell the inside diameter should be at least .002-.003 less than the diameter of the bullet to provide tension on the bullet.  The body tension along with a good crimp will retain the bullet in the case under recoil, and assist in proper ignition.  I believe a large bell is counterproductive.

From your post I gather these are all new cases and should be the same length, but have you measured them?  The die should be set to create a roll crimp in the crimp groove on the Laser Cast bullet.  If the crimp is not being created in the groove you  have an issue.

I normally clean new dies before setting them up.

Have you measured the diameter of the bullets?  I believe they Laser cast bullets should be .431and the inside of the case below the bell should be approximately.4295 according to an old Sierra Manual.

I believe that Glanceblamm loads the 44 Magnum, he is a very detailed type guy.

I can appreciate your frustration.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.