Author Topic: small scale whitworth  (Read 2316 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
small scale whitworth
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »
anybody ever made a small scaled breach loading whitworth?? i got to thinking about building one on my way back from the range today. I am thinking .75 cal. I dont know, it is just a thought in my brain right now,  didnt know if anyone else ever tried it.

rick bryan

Offline Soot

• Contributor
Re: small scale whitworth
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
I've seen at least one small one and several full size.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
That drawing has been posted here before.  There is a conflict in the thread measurements.  It says the pitch is 11/16" and a double start thread but the lead is 1 11/32".  The lead of a double start thread should be exactly twice the pitch so one of those numbers is wrong.

Here is a drawing I made of the thread for the last discussion of this:
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
very nice drawings, but i was going to keep it alittle more simple, i was going to use a large bolt and nut for the threads and cut them down in the lathe. just something simple to play with,

come on dom, i bet you can come up with something simple.  yet looks good and works like the full scale gun. 

rick bryan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »
dom i know your brain is turning just trying to come up with some ideas.    I am really surprised that more people have not jumped on this,  i think it is easier then people think.  maybe i just stare at large bolts at work to much.  or to many daydreams. 

rick bryan

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
I built two small ones in 2006 that were for firecrackers.  They were 50 caliber and they were to small to hinge the breech.  I sold both at a gun show the day after I finished them.   If I remember correctly, I think I used a 3/4" or 7/8" diameter # 2 bolt.   I may do another one someday.

Offline theoldsarge

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
There is a piece on the web, somewhere, about a working model, don't recall where just now, but I believe the site sells carbide cannons.
Many years ago I bought a set of plans to make a working model of a Whitworth cannon, carriage and all, chambered in .45 Long Colt.  I looked a few months back and the plans were not where they were supposed to be.  There is a lot of stuff in that room, so it's going to be awhile before I track them down, if I can. 
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
Rick,
These pics are from the old "Cannon Mania" website, all I really made note of when I saved the photos was the machinist's name (Ronald Nulph), and the fact that the barrel was made of steel. IIRC, the barrel was bigger than it looks (around 20''), and the aluminum carriage and wheels were temporary (he planned to make realistic wooden replacements).

Photos by Ronald Nulph

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:53 AM »
see now thats what i am talking about.  that is nice. 

Offline Federov-Fox

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
That replica is pretty impressive.   I love the detail on the breech mechanism.

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
I found just a bit more from that site, not me saving it, someone else.  http://thedonovan.com/archives/003169.html
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
Do anyone know where the previous posts are with the Whitworth diagrams? 

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
     Complete 12 Pdr. Breech-Loading Whitworth Rifle drawings are available from AOP on the vendor list in the stickies.  We have studied these drawings extensively in anticipation of building a half scale one in 2015.  These drawings are completely dimensioned in the difficult tube and breech block areas, but the carriage drawings are line drawings and will have to be interpolated.  We have used much less complete drawings with complete success.  Order No. 23, convert all the fractions to decimal inch, then multiply the resulting dims. by the scale factor decimal multiplier like .25 for 1/4 scale.

From the maker's original writings or writings attributed to Ronald Nulph, I recall that this gentleman made repeated trips to a Gettysburg, PA  museum to obtain his dimensions which he used to make this excellent model.

The only thing missing in all these schemes is the one critical component which allowed these guns to be fired as muzzle loaders after they quickly fouled so badly as to be inoperable as breech-loaders.  This is the difficult to make, cartridge case which was, incredibly, a twisted or helical hexagon case of brass with an axial hole to receive the friction primer.  The obturation of this case was absolutely necessary for this gun to operate at all.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
I think the aluminum foil powder bag would probably substitute for the brass case assuming there are no nooks or crannies it could get caught in and be hard to clean out.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
thats why they make brushes, lol  and a little elbow grease in between rounds.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »
This Whitworth in brass may not be as realistically modelled as the Nulph barrel, but I like it. Barrel is 14.50-inches long with a .50 caliber bore.

Photos from eBay

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
This is the one at Gettysburg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJaWthKC-oM

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 03:18:20 AM »
very cool,  who was the one casting that barrel do you know??  thats one i have not ever seen.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
very cool,  who was the one casting that barrel do you know??  thats one i have not ever seen.

Rick,
The short, sweet, and truthful answer is I don't know; it was auctioned on eBay some years ago, and it sold for $885.99. I have seen a cast brass Parrott of approximately the same scale mounted on a duplicate cast carriage with brass hardware, (same wheels, same exact color scheme) so it's possible that they were manufactured by a company, but my gut instinct tells me they were one-offs made by an individual craftsman.