Author Topic: what years did the 44 have an over bore? & when did the frame change?  (Read 354 times)

Offline sckaterbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
What years did the 44mags have over bores? & what year did the frames change to sb1 from sb2?
Thanks
Robert
RIP Robert. Lost his battle with May 6th 2012.

"Just because you can, don't mean you should."
My old math teacher.

H&R Classic Carbine 45colt,Nef Pardner 12ga mod, Nef Pardner 410bore full, S&W 10-6 38 special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
44mag barrels made late 2006 and later have .429"-.430" bores, frames changed to SB1 with the 2008 model year.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sckaterbrain

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks Quickdtoo
That is the info I was looking for.
Robert
RIP Robert. Lost his battle with May 6th 2012.

"Just because you can, don't mean you should."
My old math teacher.

H&R Classic Carbine 45colt,Nef Pardner 12ga mod, Nef Pardner 410bore full, S&W 10-6 38 special

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
i recently heard something interesting saami spec for 44mag rifle is .431   44mag pistol is .429  i checked it out and they are different.So all those overbore barrels are actually built to spec.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
That's true.

Tim

OK folks let's get this straight on the "oversize bore" issue. The Sporting Arms and Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI)uses two different bore specs. for 44 magnum rifles and pistols. They are as follows:

Rifle:
Bore- .424 +/- .001
Groove- .431 +/- .001

Pistol:
Bore- .417 +/- .001
Groove- .429 +/- .001

You may not like it but Marlin is following the standards set for the industry so I don't believe that they have to admit to any fault here. The only disagreement I have is on rate of twist. I would like to see 1/20 on rifles but again SAAMI says it should be 1/38.
Now, why are some tighter than others. They probably start with rifling broaches at the max of .432. As they wear, they can be resharpened several times before they get to the min. of .430 and throw away a 1200-1500 tool.  So you see where the variation occurs. Just ask for a barrel at the end of the tool life.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
i saw it  while working a load for 2 rifles a 2009 sb1 44mag and an 82 marlin 1894.

P.S. the handi loves 240gr xtp 5shots touching at 50yds,marlin not so much 2in at 50yds