Author Topic: Spring hog hunting in Texas  (Read 4857 times)

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
Spring hog hunting in Texas
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here or not but thought I would show one of the major hazards of warm weather hunting in our neck of the woods.   :o

Gerald
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Spring hog hunting in Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
That is one purdy snake!   ;D  lotsa good hide for nice thangs & enuf meat for 2 Sunday dinners!   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
Don't know why, but all of a sudden my snake boots seem woefully inadequate.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
That's BIG ! !
found elsewhere

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Better be on your guard.  Mama might be close by the little one. ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Was that snake head shot or starting to grow an antler? ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
Not sure how it was killed.  That's not me in the photo...it was sent by a friend.  There aren't enough holes in it for me to have been the one who encountered it.   ;D  Thankfully, rattlesnakes are a favorite food of hogs.  They will eat anything, even one of their own if you leave it lie. 

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
Where about's did you get that sucker?!!

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
That would ruin your day for shore.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
It came from a ranch just west of Coleman in Central Texas, about halfway between Brownwood and Abilene.  I have traveled that area many times and seen plenty on the roads at night, even caught a few for the rattlesnake roundup we had every year when I was a highway patrolman in Jacksboro back in the 60's, but never one that big!!! 

Offline phatgemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:46:58 AM »
I'm betting photoshop........such as this:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_texas_rattlesnake.htm

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:29 AM »
That photo has been on the web for at least 3 years that I've seen.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
Awwww, looks like I've been caught by a couple of sharp critics.  OK, OK, I confess.  The rattler is only 2 feet long and that's really Pres. Obama holding him up off the ground and you know how he can stretch the truth!!   ;D   ::) 

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
Phot shop or not I can attest to those rattlers being big enough to stretch across a dirt road and big around as a big mans bicep.

Down in south Texas they call them "chesters" because snake boots won't do you much good when they are big enough to hit you square in the chest.

A stretch?...Maybe, but there are some big rattle bugs down here!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
Man! If Id only knowed that when I biked to B-Bend back in the mid '70s Ida throwed a rope around my bedroll.....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hillbill

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »
well he used the old trik of holding the varmit waaaay out in front of him when he took pics.but that still a big snake. even if he half what he look like id not want to meet up with him.does the rope around the bedroll trik werk?im thinkin a big snake wud jus roll on over it like any twig or limb and cuddle up next to yu

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
Look closely guys....it may be held waaaay out in front but that doesn't change the fact the snake is being held head high to the man.  From the hook to the snakes head is about 2 feet and the rattle is on the ground!!!  We're looking at over 6 feet of rattler.  Can't fake that!!!   ::) ::)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
Here's frgerald's snake pic on another site with the caption... The ranch where this big rattler was killed is outside the city of Coleman which is located in (West Texas) near Abilene .. Oh, for reference, the guy stands 6'-2". Seems there's been a boom in the snake population there. .. http://www.snakeboots.com/snakepic.htm

and then there's this one on the same page with the caption.... 9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs!! Yeah, right, and that little fella is holding a 97lb critter on the end of a stick!  ::) I'd like to see him lift a 90lb sack of concrete without the stick!  ;D

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 02:34:36 AM »
i wud any day rather walk up on one a them that size or any size that has rattlers......

they are nuthin like tha little devils we are well blessed wif down here. no early warning !!
 they ain't scared of you and they don't havta be big neither.  if suprized, they will come after you :o

Cottonmouth Moccasin...........the deadlier alternative
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:31 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here or not but thought I would show one of the major hazards of warm weather hunting in our neck of the woods.   :o

Gerald

Was the snake or the guy holding it the one drinking the beer? ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »
Back during the Cuban Missle Crisis, myself and two other sailors were riding perimeter patrol at Cecil Field, FL when we ran over one like that with a Dodge Power Wagon.  It was like thumping over a big log and it didn't phase the snake at all.  I shot it with a 1911 .45....that did get his attention.

A few years ago, I was turkey hunting in Florida with two friends, Joe and Wayne.  We hunt an island in a swamp, so the day before the opener, we were taking the canoes down to the swamp to be ready in the morning, when we found a good sized rattler in the two track.  We didn't have guns with us because the season wasn't open yet, but we killed the snake with a shovel.  Joe owns an auto repair business, but is a frustrated gourmet chef.  He had brought steaks to camp for supper that night, so he did steak 'n snake on the grill instead.  It was superb.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 05:31:07 AM »
Hey Tim,  Help me here, I'm a little lost!!!  Your logic re: the size of the snakes or the guy holding it proves what???   You don't have to look very close to see these are 2 different varmints.  Many road side rest areas here have signs throughout them warning visitors to "watch for rattlesnakes".  I have lived here 60+ years (wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could) and personally found many large snakes in the wild, a 6 footer is NOT uncommon.  Oh, BTW...I saw on another web site that Bin Laden is not really dead he just went home to the other side of the universe....with Elvis!   ;D  ;D  Who can you believe these days!!! ::)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 05:51:47 AM »
That's easy, relative size, with the right software, a fella could prove the exact size of the snake you posted if the fella holding it is 6'-2", the weight and length in the other pic is obviously exagerated.  ;)

FWIW, I did a little research last night, the biggest any rattlesnake gets in the US, Texas or otherwise, is about 7½', the average is 3-4'. This thread reminds me of the hogzilla discussions.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 06:21:47 AM »
i wud any day rather walk up on one a them that size or any size that has rattlers......

they are nuthin like tha little devils we are well blessed wif down here. no early warning !!
 they ain't scared of you and they don't havta be big neither.  if suprized, they will come after you :o

Gendoc, I've had my experiences with both cottonmouths and rattlers in Florida.  Neither are good company.  We had a drought in the early sixties and a swamp of 60 to 100 acres dried up to just 1 acre.  I shot cottonmouths with a semi auto .22 until it was empty and then shot them away from my feet with a Colt Frontier Scout while I reloaded.  I had a dog that would kill cottonmouths.  She'd grab them behind the head and shake them till they were dead.  I hung the largest one on a 3 wire barbed wire fence and a foot an a half of tail was still on the ground.

Another time, this dumbass was bass fishing and tossed a plug over one, snatched it back and foul hooked him.  What do you do with an angry snake on a spinning rod?

Larry Hart was Captain of the base pistol team at Cecil Field.  We were having a barbeque dinner at their place, when his wife stepped out the back door with a Colt .45 in her hand, drew a bead, and dusted a cottonmouth 40 or 50 yards off the porch in a drainage ditch.  That's a small target.  You wouldn't want that woman annoyed at ya.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »
Oh, BTW...I saw on another web site that Bin Laden is not really dead he just went home to the other side of the universe....with Elvis!   ;D  ;D  Who can you believe these days!!! ::)

The other night, Corbert said that Bin Laden used to dabble in the commodities market like gold and silver.   Now, he's just carrying around a bunch of lead.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

Gendoc, I've had my experiences with both cottonmouths and rattlers in Florida.  Neither are good company.  We had a drought in the early sixties and a swamp of 60 to 100 acres dried up to just 1 acre.  I shot cottonmouths with a semi auto .22 until it was empty and then shot them away from my feet with a Colt Frontier Scout while I reloaded.  I had a dog that would kill cottonmouths.  She'd grab them behind the head and shake them till they were dead.  I hung the largest one on a 3 wire barbed wire fence and a foot an a half of tail was still on the ground.

Another time, this dumbass was bass fishing and tossed a plug over one, snatched it back and foul hooked him.  What do you do with an angry snake on a spinning rod?

Larry Hart was Captain of the base pistol team at Cecil Field.  We were having a barbeque dinner at their place, when his wife stepped out the back door with a Colt .45 in her hand, drew a bead, and dusted a cottonmouth 40 or 50 yards off the porch in a drainage ditch.  That's a small target.  You wouldn't want that woman annoyed at ya.

Pete

thatsa show-nuff women !!! i like'um like that ;)

yep them cottonmouths are really bad here roun july. ya gotta look in the rafters of my boat house before you push tha button for tha boat to come down !!!!
them critters be lay'n up on tha rollers and fall right in tha botton of tha boat or in your lap
ifin you ain't careful.
we gotta repair the roof sumtimes cus we'll shoot'um wif a 22/45 stainless bull ruger
(tha boat pistola) ;D
my minature lil'jack isa too small to be mess'n wif them....we jus shoot'um 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »
Some years back our (then) 18mo. old Husky saw his first snake (about a 2.5 to 3') on a walk in the back 20, he jumped & grabbed it right behind the head, shook it violently and with a flip tossed it away......then walked on like, hey, whats next?
All in the genes.......
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline frgerald

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  Ya gotta admit...it's been fun!   ::)  ;)

Gerald

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
Skunks are good snake predators. They know to take them from behind.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
Shoot, I've got an alley cat that brings me copperheads on a regular basis.  5 or 6 so far this spring.  I wouldn't mind as much if she would kill them first.  When I see her headed toward me lately, I PAY ATTENTION!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)