Author Topic: realistically--which gun of you can take one only  (Read 4523 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
realistically--which gun of you can take one only
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
This has been hashed many times.  Actually, I can carry a long gun and 1 or 2 handguns easy enough.  My own take is that it would be a .22  lots of shots, light to carry ammo -- --- because the most like scenario for mewill be

zombies.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: realistically--which gun of you can take one only
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
256 Win Mag in Marlin 357...take down zombies and game up to the big stuff with ear shots! Reliability, compact, light weight, good ammo capacity, brass always can be made from 357 mag. Only trouble is you can't rob the bodies of zombies to replenish ammo stocks.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
Besides my 45 colt Ruger-
For a long gun I would be fine with either of the following.
Either a 30-30 lever carbine or a short barreled 3" 12ga pump with screw in chokes.
Either can be used to take about any game and man, ammo is everywhere, both are easy to carry.
If I had to chose just one it would be the 12ga.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
AR-15 variant in .223 and lots of ammo .... until I can kill a zombie and take his m-60 8)

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »
For up to include deer size game I like to carry the 22 hornet

Offline FWiedner

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »
Remington 870

00 Buck & slugs.

Zombies...

Ha.

;)
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Shu

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 02:12:07 AM »
Caliber 22lr or 22 mag. 16" barrel and a youth stock for easier carry. Ammo is cheap and the good old 22s are just hard to beat.

Zombies go down with head shots. For crazed bikers and other traveling end of the world thugs I'll post a sign pointed to Washington DC that says free beer.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:52 AM »
Rifle, the one cartridge that set the standard all others are judged by.  30-06.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
Remington 870 pump. 12 or 20 ga.
More ammo choice.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
Probably my 20ga 22" mod choke slugs for big game shot for small game either one for zombies and bad people
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
I can't do it.  :P
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:04 AM »
Savage combo O/U:
22LR with a goodly selection of ammo types inc the SSS 60gr.
20ga. c/w a few slugs and some 7 1/2 and 6's, though maybe a 410 would be OK?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
To be honest in some areas it will be a handgun so it can be hid. Other areas it might be a rifle because the need exist . The shotgun would have more uses though.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Hmmm.......... "you can take one only"......................... I'm thinking my savage 24f, .30-30 over 12 Ga. cartridge adapters .32acp and .30 carbine,and  chamber mates 12-20/ .410,should allow for multiple flavors pf ammo. But I have alot of choices so the answer could change on any given day.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
Ha, I am actually really in this very delema right now.  I live in an area expected to be flooded by the mighty Mississippi.  Though my house is on stilts, I could still expect to be on my own for a substantial amount of time, and the water may still get it anyway.  My contingency plan is to carry what I can to higher ground then put the rest up stairs and stay with it until the water takes it, or the water goes down.  Since I may have to leave in a hurry, I am packing light and will need a weapon for self defence against Varmits of all kinds.  After a lot of thought I broke it down to two, an AR-15 in .223 and a 1911 .45, along with an adequate supply of ammo, and a video camera. I also have a good boat and motor and plenty of gas.  My primary concern is critters trying to escape the  flood followed by looters trying to rob the deserted houses.

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »
Ha, I am actually really in this very delema right now.  I live in an area expected to be flooded by the mighty Mississippi.  Though my house is on stilts, I could still expect to be on my own for a substantial amount of time, and the water may still get it anyway.  My contingency plan is to carry what I can to higher ground then put the rest up stairs and stay with it until the water takes it, or the water goes down.  Since I may have to leave in a hurry, I am packing light and will need a weapon for self defence against Varmits of all kinds.  After a lot of thought I broke it down to two, an AR-15 in .223 and a 1911 .45, along with an adequate supply of ammo, and a video camera. I also have a good boat and motor and plenty of gas.  My primary concern is critters trying to escape the  flood followed by looters trying to rob the deserted houses.

Sounds like excellent choices.  However, I sould suggest adding a 12 ga pump.  A .22 handun might come in handy also, if nothing else could use a .22 round to save a .223 round.  Now that I typed that, I'd say a scoped .22 rifle.  I would have not suggested the extra firearms, except you said you will be staying with your stuff.  I would also suggest tying a good boat where you can get to it quickly if the need arises.  Hope you make out well.  I usually don't reply to 'what if' threads, but in your case it might actually be. 
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
My choices stem from my familiarity with both weapons.  I have killed everything from snakes to mule deer with an AR-15 and carried one most of the way around the world while in the military.  I have also fired thousands of rounds through the various 1911s I have owned.  I thought about a .22 and if I was depending on forage to survive there would be one in the mix for sure, but I am well provisioned and will have the option of resupplying myself.  Extra guns would be just one more thing to keep up with or possibly leave behind should the water rise higher than expected.  I do have some CCI 45 acp shotshell loads that have proven to be deadly on snakes and small vermin.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »
Dang Man!, I hope you fare well! Ive been watching this play out and wondering how many  of our members are in the path of that water (sounds like another thread, though).
Have you ever tried one of those 22LR adapter set-ups in the AR, my neighbor likes his.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline yooperamoungtrolls

• "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt 1913
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 03:15:35 AM »
Semi auto or pump in .20ga, about a 20" pipe with screw in chokes.  bout 2500 rnds each, #6, #4 turkey loads, Buck shot and slugs. Realisticly just about any game could be taken and you would have a very good level of personal protection in a light handy weapon.
Remington model 700 .300WSM, Winchester M-1 Garand 43' .30-06, Inland M-1 Carbine 44' .30 carb, Savage 16LHSS .308Win, Ithaca 16ga, 12ga, 20ga, US&S 43' 1911-A1, S&W 5906, S&W J-frame, among others...

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »
Why is everyone so concerned about shooting zombies?  I don't think they taste good.  In all these one gun treads people always talk about zombies.  Now the CDC is telling how to prepare for a Zombie Apocalypse.  Am I missing something?
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »
I've only have three rifles that aren't single shot and one is a 22 rimfire. Out of the two remaining firearms I'll take the Rem 742 without hesitation.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
yours
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:32 AM »
If I can only have 1 I want it to be a Rossi Trifecta matched set youth model in 22lr/20ga/44mag.   Back it up with 2 hand guns, a 44mag and a 22lr or maybe a 1911 with a 45 and 22 slide.

Add a 44mag Lee loader and Lee bullet mold.  Get 2 or 3 thousand CCI large pistol primers, a few pounds of power and some Mag Tech 20ga brass hulls.  The Mag Tech brass is easy to load without tools and uses the same large pistol primers and powders  as the 44mag.  With a few bricks of 22lr your set for a long time.  Just pull wheel weights off abandoned cars for lead to make bullets and shot.

I might throw in a few chamber adapters for the 20ga.  357Mag, 9mm and 45 because they are popular. The adapters weigh almost nothing and if I find ammo in those calibers I can use them in the Rossi. 

I can hide it all in a backpack and look unarmed.   Blend in with unarmed civilians when necessary.  Yet able to defend myself with the hand guns.   With the Rossi I can hunt anything East of the Mississippi and get a little more reach than with the hand guns.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline ratdog

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
 :D a john browning 50 cal machine gun mounted on the back of my pickup 8) :o .

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:58 AM »
Been seein' those alot on TV the past few years..........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 06:02:26 AM »
Lost Farm..

I see more then One in your post zzzzzt ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:55 AM »

REALISTICALLY

my usual  pocket gun   357 mag

either 640 smith
or my new plastic  ruger LCR....357

easy to carry concealed  if forced  into a crowd
will allow me to take what ever  i need.....or have the element of surprize  if attacled
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
the 50 cal would be a might hard to conceal so then  it would be my springfield 45 acp. ;)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 05:22:56 AM »
An H&R Handirifle fitted with every barrel from the HR barrel accessory service!   ;D  (that counts as only one doesn't it?)

To give a serious answer in the spirit of the question, a good .22 bolt action.  They are light, a lot of ammo can be stored in not much space.  The ammo will be available almost anywhere.  It will put food on the table.  Yeah, it won't drop an elk or a bear but with good placement they will take small deer, but most of the food won't be large game.  Rabbits, squirrels, possum, racoons, dogs, birds (hey, for survival shoot them on the ground, you don't have to flush them). It will work for personal defense.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.