Author Topic: realistically--which gun of you can take one only  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Buck-Ridge

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: realistically--which gun of you can take one only
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
A 22 magnum rifle.

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:53 AM »
got to be a good 22lr with a scope and good set of open sights but a 223 would be my second choice because of ammo availability.
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Lost Farm..

I see more then One in your post zzzzzt ;D

The OP said one gun, but could easily carry one long gun and one or two hand guns. I agree.

My one gun would be the Rossi matched set. The Rossi can hunt anything and with the camber adapters can shoot a wide variety of ammo. The classic lee loader can reload the 44 mag and the 20ga magtech brass. All fits easily hidden in a back pack.

The single shot Rossi lacks defensive power. So in the spirit of the OP I would back it up with one or two had guns that shoot the same bullets. One would be the 44mag and if a second it would be a 22lr.

I have no intention of going into TEOTWAWKI with only on gun. Maybe one long gun, but not one gun only. Hand guns are just too useful and easy to carry and hide.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 06:03:31 AM »
IMO when it come to that big  T-something Waki I don't see any type or how many you got to make much difference.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline ourway77

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (134)
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »
For one single weapon in the event of a foreign power invading our homeland I would Opt. for a Ruger 22 Magnum. Light, semi auto, and high capacity clips. Ammo would be easily carried as many 5,000 rounds would be light enough. and would go along way. And for food a 22 magnum can kill very easily Deer size game. I pray it will never become reality, but it is possible (China?) If china we wouldn't stand a chance. Thier army out numbers us 200 or more to our ONE. I read some where that china has a 5 million man army?. I was very young and an Old man told me he said son Russia is not the threat we should be concerned with.    IT'S CHINA. I may never see it at 74 but it might become reality sometime in the future. Face it china's growing season is very short where ours is much longer and we produce 3/4 of the world wheat Etc. They rely on the USA why not just come over here and take it ( Far Fetched? Think about it?Maybe I should have started another topic What Say? LOUIE
It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »
IMO when it come to that big  T-something Waki I don't see any type or how many you got to make much difference.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2011, 12:42:36 AM »
 One gun?

I would take a large caliber revolver with a four to six inch barrel. Easy to carry, adequate for self-defense and can be used for hunting if need be.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:13 AM »
 The only way I'll be going with a single gun is financial hardship, and my own paring down the herd. So I'm not going Zombie Apocolypse.

In the grand scheme of things I would keep the 300 Win Mag Tikka. If it needs killed, and I can see it, the gun is capable. First centre fire I bought. I thought long and hard about it and haven't changed my mind. It would be easy to argue for the 1895 Marlin. It would be easy to argue for the AR-15 too. But they came later for a reason, they would leave earlier for the same reasons.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline RB Rooson

• Contributor
  • "If you come for mine, be sure to bring yours!"
    • http://www.ptca.00go.com
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »
In a Survival vein (considering that everything as we know it is gone), probably the Ruger Single Six in .22/.22 magnum.  Extremely reliable, ammo could be found almost anywhere (remember you won't have Wal-Mart to go to....), alot folks have .22 ammo loose in car ash trays, junk drawers at home, in the pockets of old or winter jackets, etc. and you can carry a 100 rounds in your jeans.

The important thing would be to be armed.  You don't have to have the biggest and baddest gun made.....try to find .40 ammo when that first 50 are gone in a "end game scenario"!!

The same can be said for a 12 gauge coach gun.  Simple and easy to operate, not complicated to repair and shells can be found almost anywhere.  Remember you may love your .223 black gun, but after the initial "in-your-possession-ammo" runs out - where are you going to find anymore?  Oh, I know you are going to say "Well, I know alot guys who have .223's...!!"

Yah, but alot more people have 12 gauge shotguns!!
SASS #16974 - Duelist
SBSS # 1195 (O.G.B.) LXXIX
BOLD # 352

"Everyday I pray to be the man that my dog thinks I am!"

Offline RB Rooson

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 05:51:15 AM »
And what is all this "Zombie" talk?  Don't you realize that this is fictional creation of folklore and movies?  There is no such thing!  Guns and bullets to stop Zombies, what are you abit delusional?

Or am I missing something.....and this is a "buzz-word" for something else?
SASS #16974 - Duelist
BOLD # 352

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
m-14

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »
RB, I think it must be a representation of the 'worst case scenario' for some. I never was attracted to that genre of movie, but can see it as a shorthand way of expressing a dire circumstance where firepower over subtle persuasion would be desirable.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline RB Rooson

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
gcrank1,

Very well said.....maybe it is just an euphemism for a quick description of an "end-game" idea.

And I really do hope that some do not believe in Zombies!

But then again, with today's culture - one never knows??!!
SASS #16974 - Duelist
BOLD # 352

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 09:19:59 AM »
And what is all this "Zombie" talk?  Don't you realize that this is fictional creation of folklore and movies?  There is no such thing!  Guns and bullets to stop Zombies, what are you abit delusional?

It is a wayto express finding myself in a Somalian world, or perhaps a citizen of Iraq or Afganistan, or God forbid France. ;D
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline reliquary

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
I use the phrase "Zombie Apocalypse" as a tongue-in-cheek jab at the ones who, shall we say, over-prepare.  I ran through the movie channels today and saw about 4 or 5 movies like "Zombieland", or the "afterlife" series, where the few remaining humans had to fend off hordes of the living dead. 

I am a dedicated survivalist, and am prepared for hard times, but have run into some folks who seem to think that they need to be prepared for these goofy mvies to come true.

Granted, it's a good thing to be prepared against lawless, ravaging hordes of government dependents and other addicts, until they die off, in the case of a total system collapse...

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 05:27:50 AM »

CHILL OUT AND SMELL THE ROSES.......

because zombies stink

its  just fun to get ready for the zombie invasion

have you cast a few slugs out of a silver cross yet for werewolves???
mine are wood-filled  hollow points that will also kill a vampire... with a heart shot
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline reliquary

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
I melted some old German 40% silver coins, cast and loaded some 125-grain slugs in .38 Special as a joke, for my daughter's Bodyguard, several years ago.  Wonder what they're worth, now....maybe I should get them back?

I've seen stripper clips of cartridges with wooden bullets, for some obscure military calibers...European?...at gun shows. Something like the old Carcano or Moisin-Nagant rifle, several boxes of those...no vampire problems.

Cut up a few old silver coins with a hammer and cold chisel and load .410s with the chips...no werewolf problems.

The priest at the local Catholic church said he'd give me a bottle of holy water if I really needed one. I grow garlic. What else do I need?

Oh, wait a minute, would a crucifix work against  a vampire who had been Jewish, or would you need a Star of David? 

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
LOL Maybe a ninja style "throwing" Star of David  ;D

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »
LOL Maybe a ninja style "throwing" Star of David  ;D

Made out of silver!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline reliquary

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »
How about a part-silver hollowpoint with a mixture of garlic and ham fat?  That would take care of even muslim and heretic vampires?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »
HELP......save me from this thread!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline snowbird

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »
A mini 14.  Or what ever one I have the most ammo for at that given time. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 03:49:12 AM »
  Remember you may love your .223 black gun, but after the initial "in-your-possession-ammo" runs out - where are you going to find anymore?  Oh, I know you are going to say "Well, I know alot guys who have .223's...!!"

Yah, but alot more people have 12 gauge shotguns!!

Your resupply will come from those you found nessary to use your ammo on. Not a plesant thought really but if you look back in time every war or such common folks found ways to aquire weapons and ammo. It is said there are still rifles under floor boards in Mexico and there are still machine guns not accounted for in Eourpe and the islands from WW2 .
If the problem last then the old front stuffer may come back. Then there are the pipe guns , zip guns etc.
What the poster is asking what gun do you wish to start out with ?
Two speical weapons that may be useful is a supressed 22 LR bolt action rifle and a very short pistol grip 12 or 20 ga shotgun. With either you could aquire what is aval. And don't discount a good knife as it never requires a reload.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !