Author Topic: 8 inch mortar anyone??  (Read 1286 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
8 inch mortar anyone??
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
ok, i have had the idea/ want / mouth watering drool down the chin. need to have a model 1861 8 inch seige mortar. so i am going or just go for it. i am ordering  one from hern iron works next week.  I am buying the barrel. and going to build the base myself. to save some money.  I have a large coin collection that that i had appraised and now its time to sell before the price of silver goes down anymore. it made its peak at almost 50 dollars an oz. and now its heading down again. so its time.     but here is the catch. i get a better price if i order 2 or more.  so does any else want to get one?? and save like 400 dollars??   or so.     I cant wait.  oh this is also all a gift to myself to make me feel better about not being able to get the house i wanted. but i am going with it.    i am only 25 so what am i going to get when i have a midlife crisis?? who knows i guess we will just have to see. or will i only live til i am 50 and this is my midlife crisis?   only time will tell.

rick bryan

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: 8 inch mortar anyone??
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
I think the price of silver closed around $39 today. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
     Rick, have you given any thought to the type of iron you want in your 8” Mortar?  We do not know anything about Hern Iron Works.    You should find out what type of cast iron they use before you send them or Anyone a check for $2,600. Does this foundry offer a good solid warrantee on their cannons designed for shooting? Also, most important, do you know what type of cast iron they use in the 8” mortars they sell?  Are you going to use your big, bad, 8”, fire breathing, mortar for strictly “decorative” purposes, to fire blanks or to launch 50 Lb. shells?  Remarkably different pressures associated with each use!

from their website:
  “Hern Iron Works makes no Warrantee whatsoever concerning its cannons. They are sold for decorative purposes only and we do not imply that they are good for anything else.”

Buyer accepts all responsibility for all use or misuse of the cannon. However, if at any time you are unhappy with a Hern cannon, you may return it, postpaid, to the foundry for replacement or refund.

Mike and I studied cast iron quite a bit before we chose 4150 Ordnance steel with which to make our cannons.  There are four types of cast iron.  For critical, read stressful applications, Grey Iron is the worst.  It is extremely brittle.  White Iron is very nearly as bad.  Ductile Iron is better, but lacks the strength of Malleable Cast Iron which is what La Pans Foundry used to make the 4” Cannonballs we use in the 1797 Mortar.

Gray cast iron is by far the oldest and most common form of cast iron. As a
result, it is assumed by many to be the only form of cast iron and the terms "cast iron" and "gray iron" are used interchangeably. Unfortunately the only commonly known property of gray iron- brittleness- is also assigned to "cast iron" and hence to all cast irons. Gray iron, named because its fracture has a gray appearance. It contains carbon in the form of flake graphite in a matrix which consists of ferrite, pearlite or a mixture of the two.

The flake-like shape of graphite in Gray iron exerts a dominant influence on its mechanical properties. The graphite flakes act as stress raisers which may prematurely cause localized plastic flow at low stresses, and initiate fracture in the matrix at higher stresses. As a result, Gray iron exhibits no elastic behavior and fails in tension without significant plastic deformation.

The disadvantages of Grey Cast Iron are that it is Brittle (low impact strength) which severely limits use for critical applications.

Within Grey Iron, Graphite acts as a void and reduces strength. Maximum recommended design stress is 1/4 of the ultimate tensile strength. Maximum fatigue loading limit is 1/3 of fatigue strength.

Malleable Cast Iron, by contrast, is tough, strong and suitable for high strength applications and has a modulus of elasticity which far exceeds that of Grey Iron.

Several people Mike and I know have purchased Cannons from Hern and are pleased with them, however none of these people are shooting anything but blanks.  Does the 8” mortar have a steel liner?

We know you are anxious, Rick, but before you stand next to that big mortar, with a friction primer in it’s vent, do a bit of research and get some answers.

Two cautious cannon makers,
Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
very informative Mike and Tracy.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »
I have spoken with joel at hern about shooting the mortar, and for insureance reasons I wont tell you guys about all the other guys that shoot her cannons.  hern has been selling cannons for over 20 years now or more, all your dixie gun works  cannons are theirs.  their mortar passes N-SSA inspection, i have already asked our inspector.   lol decrative. go buy a cannon from jamie west, he will tell you the same thing from a cannon turned from solid stock and he makes you drill the vent hole your self that way for insurance reasons he sold you a decrative item then you altered it.   

if this was graystar or some other company that didnt have a reputation for good barrels then i wouldnt do it.

1050 lb barrel firing a 45 lb ball.   now that is going to be fun. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:34 AM »
Their reputation is as you described, BUT it still is a good idea to do the research.

Pipe fittings are often gray cast iron.  When I take out a steam or hot water system it is with a sledge hammer.  One or two good hits and the elbow shatters - LOTS easier than a 4' pipe wrench.

The old 'pineapple' grenades were gray cast iron too.

;) ;D :o ::)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »
A friend of mine bought a Hern 10 pounder Parrott barrel, full scale.  It was horribly pitted.  I saw a hern brochure that said to use bondo to fill any voids.  I know a lot of people here have a hern barrel and like them.  But there is absolutely no comparison with say, a South Bend barrel.  But there is a huge difference in price.  You get what you pay for.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
 I ordered a Hern carronaid 2 1/4" bore with the extra 3/8" linner. Out side is realy rough but the big proublem is when they pored the cast around the liner the liner deformed on one side. Didn't find this untill I was cleaning the bore after installing a vent liner, also the liner is not centered. Called Hern three times and was told all three times someone would call,  no one has ever called. Now I have  a blank shooter.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
well, with silver prices still falling my plan to use my coins is in the gutter, but i still have other money sorces, about 2500 lbs of lead, and a 24 lb mortar i am thinking of selling. so i plan on seeign if i can sell my big mortar at nationals to pay for the bigger mortar.  I can alway make another one. and i still have 2 of my castings to turn out for 24lb  mortars so i will jsut keep that.      plan is still on , and maybe silver prices will go back up soon. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 01:31:59 AM »

Ahhhh, the ADDICTION!  You've got it baaad.  ;) ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »
its like crack,   

once you go big "black" cannon you never go back.    lol

I guess, it could be worse,  i could be into hot rods, and motorcycles still,  but i thought that those were gonna kill me,

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 04:50:20 AM »
Let me know on one of the 24 lb barrels as we have talked about, I may be game for one after it is turned.

Any word on getting them turned?
MR. GADGET
www.nra.org
www.n-ssa.org

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »
Bought a 12" Dia. billet from Corus Metals a when I retired in 2002.  Recently had it turned by a local shop into an extended length 1841 8" mortar... except raised the bore to 8.5" to accommodate bowling balls... (got 40 undrilled from my powder distributor).  The machining came out around $1300 and I lost track of the cost of the steel.  Anyway the total cost is about $1000 less than the Hern tube and it's machined 1018 steel instead of iron.  The local shop has "huge" spindle bore lathes so they did the axial drilling and boring in a 4-jaw with the tube extending into the headstock.  They bored for the 4" truinnion at the rear of the mortar in a horizontal boring machine... having the right tools enabled the "reasonable" machining costs.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
Another tidbit... when I built my first cannon in 1968 I was also into amateur rocketry and in a manual I have they show a diagram of "fragmentation zones of an exploding cylinder".  The conclusion was/is: use fuse so you can move after ignition to stand in a zone that is at a 45 degree angle off the rear end of the tube... it is the safest zone to be in... if there is one :)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
Gunsonwheels -

WELCOME to the board!

NICE BB tube!  We'd love to see pix of smoke and flame too.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Now that is what I'm talking about....

Love to see some better pictures.....
MR. GADGET
www.nra.org
www.n-ssa.org