Author Topic: I DON"T NEED A .41 MAG  (Read 2246 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
I DON"T NEED A .41 MAG
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »
Matter of fact I don't even want a .41 Mag.
What the hell did I buy one for today?
Model 57 Smith--4 inch barrel. Butter for a trigger job--finish is 98%--blued & ported. Price as $539---a good price.
I have some friends I would like to trade for a small order of french fries. They can get me in more trouble than I can on purpose.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: I DON"T NEED A .41 MAG
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
"Matter of fact I don't even want a .41 Mag.  What the hell did I buy one for today?"  Because from the moment you either laid your eyes or your hands upon the classic design and feel of the Smith and Wesson N-frame revolver it did not matter what caliber it is, you had to have it.  This may be the perfect bbq gun yet.  Factory loads from mild to as hot as you can handle and more than adequate for most all North American game.  I think you can shoot the 41 Special through the 41 Mag, if anyone makes them. 

Bill - you can have more fun with a 41, maybe even more than with a 44, and some guys find it heaven over the 357.  And if you intend trade it for a small order of french fries then lemme know what your favorites are...........

Offline Adawi

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
Uh oh, whatever you do, don't pick up the dies for it. It's a slippery slope from there; Then you start developing loads, honing in on the ones that your's shoots well, then lighter loads for multi shot placement, heavier loads and bullets for hunting, then you have to explain to everyone why you CHOOSE to hunt with a 4" barrel ('cause it shoots well for me...). Next thing ya know, you're knocking off shots that surprise even you, and you have to show no emotion while you dump the cylinder and shrug off the "Nice shot!" exclamations. That's when you will think back to the first sentence of this post....and realize the peril of being a .41 addict!

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
+1 on the slippery slope.   I LOVE my 4" 57, it is my favorite walkin' around gun.  I put a hougue mono-grip on mine and it made everything perfect!

Offline bkraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
Sir,I gotta ask you have you busted a cap yet? If not there might, just might be hope yet. If on the other hand you have pulled the trigger, then I fear it is "all hope abandon" time. Before you know it you'll be haunting the pawn shops and gun stores lookin for a Marlin lever gun in .41, next a sweet lil Black Hawk will follow you home or you ill be seduced by some hot Red Hawk. Sir I know of what I speak, I have been addicted to the .41 for years and see no hope for my condition. Also are not you the one that has rediscovered wheel guns recently? If so, welcome home sir, welcome home.
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »
Well, in my defense---really, I have no defense--except insanity---It has abeen a plesant ride back into the wheel guns and I have enjoyed the experience.
This S&W is a fine piece of a model 57. Bleing is 98%.
The porting is something I am looking into now. They appear to be factory--just two neatly dressed holes, one on either side of the front sight. The blueing gives no appearnce that they were by a gunsmith, aftermarket.
Someone here could possibly help with this little delimma.
I will get some pics today.
I took off the Pacnmayrs and put on some stag--but am undecided on what will stay on it til I shoot.
Nothing special about the gun except the condition and the truely wonderful trigger job. The trigger was rounded and the double pull and single break are scary good.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:25 AM »
Hi Will,

If the ports are trapazoids...kinda rectangular with slanted ends, it's about 99% chance it's been Mag-Na-Ported.  That will help allot with muzzle rise and a bit of recoil. 

See if the ports match these:  http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
No, that doesn't look like mine---I will post some pics this AM.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:14:11 AM »
look at the bright side now that you have one you won't be tempted any more ! well unless they have different bbl lengths  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:45:28 AM »
Model 57  .41 Mag  S&W
See the ports in the front.
Changed the griops to some large targets--got to get some more of these.
Disregard the .42 mag thingy--I can't type.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 04:50:18 AM »
That looks alot like what a factory mod 19 I had came with. Is there any type chamber at the end of the bbl ? or just standard bbl. Mine had a 1/2 inch chamber with the ports.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 04:56:42 AM »
Shootall
Define: Chamber
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 05:04:20 AM »
Doesn't look familiar.  By chamber I suspect a wider, unrifled section that begins before the ports start on the barrel

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 05:19:03 AM »
That is what I thought and yes it does have a chamber.
It seems to me---somewhere in the DARK recess' of my mind---that I have seen this porting on a S&W.
Could be my imagination though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 05:51:29 AM »
Not at all back in the early 90's S&W offered such. My 19 was a 3 inch bbl. with night sights and speical non glare finish. It was when lots of police were going auto , Glock was being debated etc. The system worked on the 19 other than it was LOUD and a big blast/flash at night. Now there are rounds that calm the flash down some . You may have a gun that was produced in limited number and worth a bit more that standard .

Worst case re chamber the cyl - change the bbl to 45 Colt or ACP  ;) ;D ;D

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
Bill, let your friends keep the french fries, you've got a great handgun there! I've wanted what you've got from 196?s till I finally found this in North Pole, Alaska:

Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Congratulations on joining the club in fine style William!

The M-57 4", (preferably pinned and recessed), has been a favorite of mine for 25yrs. You might find it a little more challenging to get good ammo and bullets for the .41 than other calibers. But I think it's worth it! I have owned two pinned and recessed models and still have one. It wears walnut factory target grips. Walnut instead of the usual goncalo alves that is on most.

I still have an old box of Hornady 210gr JHP that are real good bullets. But these days, I only shoot cast in my handguns. I load evertything from 215gr to 300gr cast bullets. LBT bullets being the best although I shoot alot of RCBS 215gr SWC cast from wheel weights. I use W-231 and H-110 for powders. I can't recomend a factory load since I have not fired one for a very long time.

Unlike many, I get along just fine with the factory target grips. The best grip, for me, would be the factory finger groove 'combat' grips. If I could find a pair reasonably priced. Easier said then done! You can always go with the factory 'magna' type grips you seem to like. You can still get the nostalgic 'ivory like' magna grips with the steer head on them, ala Elmer Keith.

The only factory porting I remember seeing on standard revolvers were elonggated ovals. One on either side of the front sight. I have seen other types on the performance center guns. I don't remember seeing the ones you have at any time. The gun could have been sent to S&W for bluing after being ported if S&W didn't do the porting......Maybe.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
 :D Congradulations Mr. William..fine looking gun...

Saddle, are those your guns to match Keith's or are they really Elmers??????? Either way, thanks for the photo...

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
:D Congradulations Mr. William..fine looking gun...

Saddle, are those your guns to match Keith's or are they really Elmers??????? Either way, thanks for the photo...

They are Keith's guns from the museum in Idaho. Notice the rare 5" and the slim barrel model on the right.
Here is another.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline saddlebum

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
Nice guns---thanks for the pics.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
Wm,

My brother has one of these in 6" stainless.  A real pleasure to shoot.....and he took two deer with it.

I just recently loaded up a couple hundred rounds for him.....then I shot them for him.  Now I gotta' load him some more....... ;)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
I lie a little but eventually have to own up to my own lack of self control.
I haad gone looking for a .41 mag for a couple of weeks but could not find one in the price range and condition I wanted.
This little excursion up to a new gunshop In Brenham, Texas was simply an outing with a friend of mine. A chance to drive a little, put Houston in my rearview mirror, have lunch with a friend and catch up on insider information from the CIA due to recent events.
It was social.
I had looked at their used guns--in the meantime Budroe was trying to push me onto a m14 in .308--it ws adecent deal but---well---NAW.
I went back to where they have the ammo and got a decent deal on 300 round of PMC .45 and was waiting to check out.
I looked down on the bottom shelf--over in the corner and saw  three Smiths. They really were out of place.
I don't remember what the first two were but Budroe asked to see the one in the far corner.
That was the .41---he looked it over and handed it to me. I looked at it and the price and condition were right----THEN--I cocked it. Really sorry I did that. Then I touched the trigger. REALLY--REALLY sorry I did that. Then I pulled it DA and started reaching for my billfold------Then I walked out the door muttering.
Now, my friend did not do anything but encourage the action, honestly.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 02:27:53 AM »
A friend, in deed.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »
That's what friends are for!!!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Welcome to the .41 brotherhood Wm!  I too really like my 4 in Smiths.  1 57, blue pinned & recessed, 1 657 Mt Gun, not to mention the Marlin, Bisley and Redhawk.  And yeah the 41 pushed me past the Lee loaders to an RCBS Jr.  years ago.  Bears are again prowling so I tuned up a little with the 657 Friday afternoon.  I like the looks and feel of my 57 best but I think my 657 is more accurate and has a better trigger.  One of these days I'll find a Blackhawk 4 5/8 to bring home.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:30:18 AM »
Shootall
Thanks for the reply. I thought I remembered them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
Finding a used S&W is rare here in any caliber let alone in 41mag.  Even the new revolvers are selling much faster lately too.  I'm seeing bare spots in the new s&w gun case.  There's something about the "N" frame S&W's that has me hooked on them.

Awesome, congrats you got a 41mag!!!!!!!!!  You do need a 41mag its all about the 800ft.lbs of bad guy stopping power, one shot stopping power. Thats why i wanted one. I'm looking for my third one soon maybe...a S&W model 57 4'' barrel in nickel too,  my dealer has them for $699 brand new. Here's mine so far a S&W model 58 41mag w/4'' barrel in nickel my new CCW gun.   And my new S&W model 57 in 41mag w/ 6 1/2'' barrel in nickel also. I think its a great caliber thats growing in popularity or the net is tying us all together.  I wished they still offered the S&W "N" Frames in 8 3/8'' barrels too. There maybe more 41mag owners than we think there is, this is why the new ammo and the 41mag brass is hard to find most of the time. I like the S&W "N" Frames anyway...  I picked up a LEE Pro 1000 set up for 41mag there on sale right now for $149. I just loaded 900rds of 41mag,  500rds of 215gr swc and 400rds of the 210 berry plated bullets.   Bill

BTW;  William great choice you did good. My m57 has an awesome trigger while my m58 was a tad rougher but i put moly in it when i removed the side plate and now there triggers are equally smooth. I put moly in all my revolvers too. I find them all dry inside. 

www.midwayusa.com  Has the 41mag speed loaders for the S&W too.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »

:-X
http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/pistol_grip.php?ID=60&grip=S%26W+K+and+N+frame+pistol+grip

Nice grips, i'll look further, they look great.  I just ordered grips for my taurus 94 in excaliber boot grip rosewood from www.grips4guns.com I'm after some rimfire handguns plus older pump 22cal rifles too.

William this is an addicting sport.  It never ends everytime i walk in a gun shop.  I try to stay away from the gun shows too latey.  But my bank is near the gun shop which i can't stay away from.  There seems to be a few nice finds in the used rimfire stuff lately.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
Didn't Elmer Keith shoot the short barreled magnum revolver out to 265yds?    I think that on you tube "hickok45" duplicates Elmers shot.