Author Topic: 1942 Colt guide rod  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Maccool

• Trade Count: (0)
1942 Colt guide rod
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Hi I have a mismatch 1911 A1 that was made in "42" , and doesn't have a guide rod in it and was wondering if it should have one or shouldn't have one?

Offline williamlayton

Re: 1942 Colt guide rod
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
Doesn't NEED one. Some folks like a different variation of guide rods--one piece, two piece, etc.--need is kinda subjective.
Originals had no guide rods.
Some will argue that they function better with them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:21:20 AM »
Mac:  welcome aboard.  Williamlayton x 2. 

Offline Maccool

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys , yeah I really didn't want shoot it until I found out , didn't want to screw it up, not like mine is a rare all matching numbers one or anything in fact the slide says 1911 and is blued and  the frame says 1911A1 and is parked so it is a really mismatched one. I have read online about frames cracking on older models like mine is there any truth in this, and if there is truth to it, is there something I could do like change springs or something , or should I just make it a wall hanger.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
It all depends on the steel---shoud not be any problem.
I would suggest staying away from HOT loads on any---as a steady diet.
Shoot the snot out of it Mac---keep an eye on it--give us some reports--sounds like you got a cool weapon.
BTW---glad to see you here. :D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Maccool

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
Thanks again, and I'm glad to be here, great site with some really good knowledgeable people like yourself.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Doesn't NEED one. Some folks like a different variation of guide rods--one piece, two piece, etc.--need is kinda subjective.
Originals had no guide rods.
Some will argue that they function better with them.
Blessings

I thought John M. designed this gun with a guide rod? Don't think I've ever seen one without one? Keeps the recoil spring from knoting up at aft end.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
I also have never seen one without one---however; All the reports & history I have read indicate that JMB didn't design it with one.
I do know that I have one that I shot without the guide rod---on purpose---and it functioned very well. I, well, er,  :-[, put it back in.
Not really sure why I have a guide rod in all of mine, but I do.
Does that make me a hypocrit ?
 :D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
No Bill no hypocricy here.
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Eugene

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
Maybe some clarification is in order.

There is a guide rod in all, just not a full length one, but it is still a guide rod, about 2" long, sits up under the barrel resting against the lower lug/link area.

Aftermarket guide rods are full elngth and will be visable through the end of the recoils spring plus from the muzzle end, but are normally only fitted when a bull barrel is fitted, cause you loose the barrel bushing, which in turn holds the recoil spring plug in place.

If you have a stock skinny barrel with bush, and a recoils spring plu withou a hole all the way through, you need the short rod.

Run a buffer, from wilsons or alike, stops frame battering by slide, also fit a new 18" recoil spring. all should be good then.

See link

http://crazy8s.info/wiki/index.php/Shooting_-_1911A1_Schematic

it is the item under the barrel to the rear left of the recoil spring.

I have not seen one without.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:29 AM »
Mac:  As Eugene said - get yourself a new set of springs, from Wolf Springs in Ardmore, PA.  Get a 16- 18 lb recoil spring and you will be fine.  The guide rod of the original design is, as Eugene says, just about two inches long and serves to anchor the recoil spring and keep it from binding. 

As for shooting the piece - just use military ball after you have installed the new springs and you will be fine.  If, for some reason you are not confident with the original barrel, get another mil-surp barrel (usually less than $50) and you will be fine.  If for some reason you feel the need for something other than mil-spec ball ammo, get a new 45 and make this one a safe queen.  jmtcw.

Offline Maccool

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
I was out of town over the holidays and had taken it with me to my wife's cousin house and we went to the range and shot about 50 rounds through it and it shot great, and mine doesn't have a guide rod at all, it has just a spring under the barrel, one side of the spring sits in the recoil spring plug and the other side sits on the barrel lug and link part with nothing else there at all ,maybe when they were refinishing it from being in WW II they forgot to put one in it. I will get a new spring kit and the recoil buffer and a guide rod, just to be on the safe side. oh and a extended beaver tail , got bit a few times and have a blood blister now.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
oh and a extended beaver tail , got bit a few times and have a blood blister now.

Be careful with the beaver tail grip safety. Most I know of have to have the frame modified to install causing loss of collectors value? Maybe look for one that doesn't require modification or longer one to prevent the web of your hand being bit?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Maccool

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
After I was doing some more research on this one I read that the arsenal rebuild guns (like this one) are shooters but don't alter the original parts for it ,so I think that I will try to find a guide rod that was made for this era gun and change the springs but keep the old ones and just use it as a random shooter so I don't ruin the value of the gun, and buy a newer one to mess around with.
Thanks every one for the help.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
Maybe we're talking two different parts here? By guide rod are you refering to the stubby little aft end of the recoil spring or the aftermarket ones sold when IPSC was in it's infancy(full length)?
Steve
AF&AM #294

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:10 AM »
Maccool:  if your spring sits right against the barrel link you are missing a part, the 2" guide rod.  If this is the case, do not fire the pistol again until you have replaced that part - without that part, and under vibration, the spring can wind its way around the barrel link and either jam the piece or break off and jam the piece.  If you are not certain about the nomenclature of the 1911 parts then go up on line and find a diagram - Numrich Arms is one good place - and see what the guide rod is that you are talking about.  If you have one in your piece then that is the only one you need.

Full length guide rods, that come in two pieces, are not original equipment and I doubt that if the piece was refinished at a factory they forgot to install the guide rod - if it is not in the firearm, someone took it out and forgot to put it back in.  And for that era 1911 - any mil-surp guide rod will suffice - the internal pieces of wartime, and even commercial 1911s and 1911A1s were not numbered; they are/were 'bin guns' - all the parts used to complete them came out of bins full of those parts - they were not lovingly hand tooled and then assembled by the same team of gunsmiths who made the parts, they were literally slapped together by gunsmiths who only needed to assure the pistols functioned properly (one magazine of ammo through a bullet trap without concern as to grouping or accuracy).

Check your pistol now for the part we are discussing and cease fire if it is absent until you replace it.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:52:01 AM »
Maccool:  if your spring sits right against the barrel link you are missing a part, the 2" guide rod.  If this is the case, do not fire the pistol again until you have replaced that part - without that part, and under vibration, the spring can wind its way around the barrel link and either jam the piece or break off and jam the piece.  If you are not certain about the nomenclature of the 1911 parts then go up on line and find a diagram - Numrich Arms is one good place - and see what the guide rod is that you are talking about.  If you have one in your piece then that is the only one you need.Yes!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,