Author Topic: Return of the Son of What Is This Gun?  (Read 494 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Return of the Son of What Is This Gun?
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:31:37 AM »
I was searching Youtube for Artillery and Field Artillery and ran across this:

What is the gun shown at 4:01?  I suspect one of the 3" Ordnance Rifles that was converted into a salute gun.  Sorry for all the matter that is beyond the scope of this forum, I don't know how to edit it down.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Return of the Son of What Is This Gun?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:11 AM »
thats what it looks like to me,  remember back then when those films where made there was no such thing as a repro.

rick bryan

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:58:04 AM »
I seem to recall reading some where that Many of the 3 inch ordnance rifles were converted to  salute guns.  I believe  Matt Switliks 3 inch Ordnance rifle is a salute gun converted back to ML.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »
I seem to recall reading some where that Many of the 3 inch ordnance rifles were converted to  salute guns.  I believe  Matt Switliks 3 inch Ordnance rifle is a salute gun converted back to ML.

Correct.  Something like 200 of them were converted.  Field artillery weapons of the Civil War

I asked about them here a few years ago, I think in Sept. of 2009.  I saw one at the local American Legion Post (poster for a pancake breakfast said "look for the cannon" - how could I resist?). 

They allowed me to scrape away the paint that made the SN unreadable.  Phoenix Iron, #334, TTSL, 1863, 819#.  I contacted the guy who keeps the Register asking about it, got back a "Thanks!  That one wasn't in the Register!"
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline subdjoe

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell