Author Topic: Concealed carry holsters  (Read 3896 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Concealed carry holsters
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »
My brother has a Smith and Wesson 9mm handgun model SW9VE and would like to get a holster for it.  He has his concealed carry permit and doe's not know what kind of holster he should get.  We went to the store to look at some holsters like the Blackhawk, they have the special button to push a button before you pull the handgun out, but again, he is not sure what kind of holster he should get.  Like should he get the kind of holster that hooks on the waist or the kind that is put on around ankle.

What is the best kind of holster to conceal carry or open carry; like I have said, he has never concealed carry a handgun in the public before.  The key is he wants a kind of holster that if you had to get up and run the gun would not fall out but he would have the ability to conceal carry.  Should he get two or three different kinds of holsters? Do you get one with a button to push so you can pull it out?  Any other good tips would be greatly appreciated. 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Concealed carry holsters
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
Take a look at Holster Kings universal holster. It's very comfortable, very versatile, and aids in making your firearm quite easy to conceal. It can be worn inside or outside your pants, one holster will handle about any handgun, regardless of size or make, the firearm can be holstered for a standard or a cross draw, and they run about $25 new. Here's my PF-9, my P-32, and a Colt Old Army .44 with a 7 1/2" barrel all in the same holster. I also have Fobus Evolution 2 holsters. They have a tension screw that allows you to loosen or tighten the grip on your handgun. They hold them quite secure yet you can easily draw without the need to push a button. The Holster Kings is much easier to conceal though. The Fobus for my 9mm is a bit bulky to conceal with just a tshirt over it but the one for the .32 is very easy to conceal.

Holster Kings Universal Holster ( Can be worn with belt through the slits but also has a metal belt clip on the back. With a belt through the slits it pulls the holster tight to your body when worn outside your pants. Turn it around and you can tuck it inside your pants with the metal clip to the outside over your belt. Both ways are very secure. )

Fobus Evolution 2 holsters;

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I don't wear belts anymore, just suspenders, so belt holsters would be out for me.  Besides, I'd have to wear something that would conceal one.  Don't like shoulder holsters.  Carried in my jacket pocket for a little, very little, while - not easy or quick access in a vehicle.  Joints too bad to use a ankle holster, almost impossible to reach one in a vehicle, and not quick access in any event.  Wanted a concealed carry vest or jacket, but couldn't take the prices.  So, cut up a pair of torn up jeans, cut wide around one hip pocket, and used wood glue to glue it to the top left inside of my denim vest.  Worked perfect.  My piece is completely out of sight if the vest flaps open, the color is close to the inside of the vest, it doesn't 'print', and is quick and easy in or out.  I carry four spare, loaded, magazines in the left outside pocket, and plan on getting two more.  Also just ordered a denim jacket, for coolish days when I want something a bit warmer than the vest, but don't want to wear something over the vest.  It will get a pocket/holster also.

I had considered sewing it in, but that is a load of work, and would leave a thread pattern.  I'd previously repaired holes and tears in a shirt using patches glued in with wood glue, Titebond II.  I washed it to test it, and the patch was easily pulled up, so pushed it back, and put it in the drier.  When I got it out it seemed as strong as when the glue first set.  It has been washed I don't know how many times since, and is always good once it's gone thru the drier, as long as you don't mess with it when it comes out of the washer.  For those that think wood glue is not strong enough, it is rated with a holding strength of something like 2,500 lbs per square inch. 
Theo - Located just east of Raleigh, NC, USA
It ain't what you're told, it's what you know. - Granny Weatherwax

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
An inside the waistband offers the best coverage. Crossbreed holsters are looked upon as pretty good. I will make one suggestion, spend the money to get an honest gun belt. Were I given the choice between a good belt and a good holster I would suggest the belt. Google up The Beltman follow his measuring instruction to the letter.  If he decides carrying does not suit him at least he will have an excellent belt.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline spruce

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »
For me an inside the waistband holster is the best for concealed carry of a semi-auto.  Even a full size auto like the Sigma or a 1911 is easily concealed under a T-shirt and the flat profile of the auto is comfortable as long as the waistband of your pants aren't already tight.

The classic IWB holster is the Milt Sparks Summer Special - it's been around forever and is the one all the others are compared to. 

The universal holster mentioned by Spirithawk would be a good (inexpensive) place to start.  If your brother is like most of us he'll end up with a trunk full of holsters that collect dust and one or two he uses all the time!

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:31:43 AM »
The type of holster that hooks on the inside of your pants is the best for conceal carry.  Now, what would be a good kind of holster that you could carry in the open.  Has anybody ever used Blackhawk holsters before?  Are they any good?     
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
The type of holster that hooks on the inside of your pants is the best for conceal carry.  Now, what would be a good kind of holster that you could carry in the open.  Has anybody ever used Blackhawk holsters before?  Are they any good?   

My son is a Certified Executive Bodyguard and he likes them.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »
I got a Crossbreed for my SP101. I liked it, so I got one for my XD. The leather holsters that I had for those two guns are in a box not being used anymore, along with other holsters I have tried and didn't like. I want to get a Crossbreed for my 1911 also.
The Crossbreed is not pretty but its functional, comfortable, and cheap compared to the pretty leather holsters out there. I like the Crossbreed so much that I doubt that I will ever get any other. That is just my preference. Everybody is different when it comes to holsters, just like with guns. With a holster you really have to wear it to know if you like it.
A good belt is in order also. I have seen guys that have a $300-$400 holster on their hip, but carry it with a little skinny, cheap belt. A good belt is as important as a good holster. 

If you want a IWB holster check them out.   http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
No, I'm not a salesman for crossbreed holsters,  I just don't want others wasting their money on some of the stuff out there that will end up in a cardboard box in your basement. Been there, done that.     
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »
I usually carry a 642 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I didn't like a holster on my belt, just felt uncomfortable to me.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »
An inside the waistband offers the best coverage. Crossbreed holsters are looked upon as pretty good. I will make one suggestion, spend the money to get an honest gun belt. Were I given the choice between a good belt and a good holster I would suggest the belt. Google up The Beltman follow his measuring instruction to the letter.  If he decides carrying does not suit him at least he will have an excellent belt.

Great suggestion on the belt.  I have Croosbreed belts and they are well made.

As far as a holster, it depends how much he wants to spend.  typically a good holster will run $80-$165

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
I like the "Yauqi" belt slide holsters.  The Don Hume Yauqi by Oklahoma Leather is a nice rig.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 01:32:19 AM »
These fit on a 3 inch strap.
Top is from Black Hill and bottom is Ross Leather.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
This has some pretty darn good reasons for not using a belt holster as far as I'm concerned.  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_45/ai_55605739/pg_2/

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
All water must seek its own level.
Belt holsters are far more comfortable to me---and just as effective for my needs.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:53 AM »
All water must seek its own level.
Belt holsters are far more comfortable to me---and just as effective for my needs.
Blessings

Same for me but with one exception. In colder weather, and when the greatest amount of concealment is needed during warm weather, I often wear a tactical shirt that has dual shoulder holsters built into it. Several reasons. My firearms are completely invisable, well secured, easy to reach, and it's very comfortable to wear.

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
You must look at the Milt Sparks line. I forget I'm carrying when I wear mine.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
I too would agree that the Belt and the Holster are far more important than what you carry.

With that said I have tried and thrown away more concealment holsters over the years than I care to admit to. My feeling is if it is not comfortable to carry you are not going to carry it much.

Recently I started using a Crossbreed Mini Tuck for my Kel Tec P-11. Once you find the right position to carry it on your belt you will all but forget it is there. Another thing I really like about the Crossbreed Mini Tuck is that unlike some inside the waistband holsters the Crossbreed Mini Tuck does not collapse when the gun is removed. As such reholstering is easily done one handed as the holster is held open so the handgun can be easily inserted.

I also use Blackhawk Serpa Hip Holsters for open carry, as well as Bladetech. My preference is the Blackhawk though. I have a freind that did have a problem with a Blackhawk Serpa Holster in that the Paddle Broke. He secured a replacement from Blackhawk and has not had a problem since.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
These fit on a 3 inch strap.
Top is from Black Hill and bottom is Ross Leather.
Blessings

Hey those are pretty snappy right up my alley

Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
You must look at the Milt Sparks line. I forget I'm carrying when I wear mine.
I concur ;) The Versa Max  II Is a bit thick but is reinforced around the mouth. The Summer Special is about the same without the reinforcement and that does reduce the bulk some. Add a Beltman belt and for a bit over $200 you are likely done shopping 4-ever. they don't get much better for any money.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
I have a Bianchi #7 for my SW9F
it is a pancake style that will give either a strong side or cross draw.
Tripple K makes a similar holster for about 1/2 the price.
If you want plastic or nylon any of the holsters for a clock of similar size will work.

Offline jimster

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
Take a look at Holster Kings universal holster. It's very comfortable, very versatile, and aids in making your firearm quite easy to conceal. It can be worn inside or outside your pants, one holster will handle about any handgun, regardless of size or make, the firearm can be holstered for a standard or a cross draw, and they run about $25 new. Here's my PF-9, my P-32, and a Colt Old Army .44 with a 7 1/2" barrel all in the same holster. I also have Fobus Evolution 2 holsters. They have a tension screw that allows you to loosen or tighten the grip on your handgun. They hold them quite secure yet you can easily draw without the need to push a button. The Holster Kings is much easier to conceal though. The Fobus for my 9mm is a bit bulky to conceal with just a tshirt over it but the one for the .32 is very easy to conceal.

Holster Kings Universal Holster ( Can be worn with belt through the slits but also has a metal belt clip on the back. With a belt through the slits it pulls the holster tight to your body when worn outside your pants. Turn it around and you can tuck it inside your pants with the metal clip to the outside over your belt. Both ways are very secure. )

Picked up one of these Holster Kings at the gun show today for 20 bucks.  Got it home and was surprised at all the different handguns that fit in this holster, double action 38,  full size 45 1911, small auto's, and even single actions revolvers.  I guess about anything you want to put in it works.  Metal clip is removable too.  I'm surprised something this simple works so well with so many guns.  For 20 bucks I can find a use for this pretty easy. 

Thanks for the tip Spirithawk, when I saw these at the gun show I remembered this thread.

Jim

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
I have to go along with Oldsarge.  I prefer a vest.  Tribe America is a business that sells leather jackets to my wife=$$$, they are however worth what he charges.  Owner lives I believe in Scottsdale, Az. and makes my vests to measure.  He has beatiful lightweight lambskin in a lot of colors, and every once in a while buffalo or elk hides.  (buffalo in winter, lambskin in summer) Zip ups, snaps or loose he will make a vest from scratch to fit you perfectly.  For mine I have two inside 40 degree cant pockets for a New York Reload.  His vests hang right and a pair of Keltec p11 or 38 snubs just disappear. I no longer wear suits(retired) and the vests are quite dressy for non formal wear.  I can't say how long they will last but the one I wear the most is 7 years old.  For around the house get 2 Levi truckers jackets and look at the interior pockets.  Cut the arms off one, hem the sleeves and you have a cool lightweight vest.  I would recommend a pocket holster to hide printing for auto or snub.  If it gets a little colder the unaltered truckers jackets works and looks great .
Now you can get to your pants pockets and your shoulders not your belt carries the weight.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
I have to go along with Oldsarge.  I prefer a vest. 
Now you can get to your pants pockets and your shoulders not your belt carries the weight.

Hodr

Another has seen the light. ;D  I'm retired too, and can't afford getting vests made for me, altho may give making one myself a shot, if this one ever wears out.  My jackets are too warm for warm weather, and I wanted something besides my vest for rainy days.  Got a unlined denim jacket, and put a carry pocket on the left inside.  Works just as well as the vest.  These were done by me, for me, and suit my wants and needs better than anything I've found for sale. 

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
I've been looking for a cc holster for a while now and just ordered a halfbreed.  Exactly what I've been looking for...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
I really only use a scabbard for my rollers--the semi's work wounderfully stuck inside the pants--sans a holster.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
Sideguard holsters. Good prices, and AWESOME holsters. I have one for the Kel-Tec P11 I traded off for an ATI 9mm (waiting on permit, gonna be a while since the county has to re-new my background/mental health check, too) and it is VERY secure, and would last a long long time. I will someday save up and buy one for my 1911.

I plan on making one for the ATI CS9 once I get it...

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 02:15:15 AM »
Here's the Tac Shirt I mentioned. Not for all situations but it's quite handy for most. :)

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:47 AM »
I am still more than happy with my DIY concealed vest.  The jacket is also working out well, except I wish I'd copied the pocket in the vest a bit closer.  Still, for about $30 each, can't beat them.  A plus is, I've got extra pockets to carry stuff in now - flashlight, screwdriver, pens, camera, extra handerchief, spare magazines, spare car keys, calculator - I'd like to see any other concealed carry that would let me do all that.   ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »
I am still more than happy with my DIY concealed vest.  The jacket is also working out well, except I wish I'd copied the pocket in the vest a bit closer.  Still, for about $30 each, can't beat them.  A plus is, I've got extra pockets to carry stuff in now - flashlight, screwdriver, pens, camera, extra handerchief, spare magazines, spare car keys, calculator - I'd like to see any other concealed carry that would let me do all that.   ;D

My only problem with the vests is that they are becoming so popular that the bad guys are now recognising them for what they are, anyone wearing a vest is suspected to be carrying, meaning that they are more likely to ambush you and steal your weapon as well as your wallet.

Offline theoldsarge

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
My only problem with the vests is that they are becoming so popular that the bad guys are now recognising them for what they are, anyone wearing a vest is suspected to be carrying, meaning that they are more likely to ambush you and steal your weapon as well as your wallet.

I was going to post a link to the type of vest I have, but apparently they are sold out.  This is as close as I could find, but mine is not lined.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-sherpa-lined-denim-vest.aspx?a=104463  I don't think you'd think mine is a concealed carry anyway.   A picture of my installed pocket is further up in the thread.  I make it a habit to not go where I figure there are any bad guys anyway.  Mostly I carry because one neighbor has three rotweillers, and any time I come out they'll start growling, even tho their fenced in yard is probably a good 300 yards from my front door, and my drive is crooked, so they can't even see me.  They're too damn stupid to realize that they could jump the fence if they wanted, and I hope they stay that stupid.  I carry a cane, so could probably handle one, but three calls for hardware.